Ideas of where to go (UK) for 2 weeks in October (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We had hoped to be heading to south of France but, with no option for quarantining on return due to work, we need to look at other UK alternatives.

Our house up north is likely to be a building site this autumn so not an option.

Weather permitting it would be a great opportunity to explore the far north of Scotland and possibly the islands but, if the weather is not good, what alternatives would you suggest for a fortnight in October?

We have enjoyed camping/caravan I g holidays in the lakes and Cornwall before but not really explored other areas.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We cancelled Spain in early October. I looked whee it would be driest in Uk & Norfolk/ Suffolk came up.
our plan is Three days on a site near Holmfirth which is walking distance ti my daughter, four days in Lincoln as we want to check out the area as a potential place to relocate to next year and finally 6 days in the East of England-Southwold /the Norfolk Broads& Cambridge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Out of season we have stayed in the York area. There is a small site at the Lysander Arms north of the city. The Park and Ride is within walking distance.
York has a lot of indoor things to do in inclement weather.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Woodhall Spa just N of Lincoln is an interesting area with the coast not too far away. Aircraft museums in the area if you're interested in that.
Cromer/Holt/Aylesham in Norfolk is fine. Just completed s few days there.
Aldebrough/Old Felixstow/Southwold in Suffolk is worth a visit.
Clearly Cambridge and the surrounding area is worth visiting. Both CAMC and CCC in Cambridge so can get bus in to centre.

Nov 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil integra
Exp
New
If north Scotland is your preference, you may be disappointed with the flatness of East Anglia (I live there - rolling hills is as good as it gets). How about Snowdonia for a change? Fabulous mountains, not far from lovely coastline, lots of heritage railways, castles and outdoor activities. might make a slightly less busy change from the Lakes.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We had hoped to be heading to south of France but, with no option for quarantining on return due to work, we need to look at other UK alternatives.

Our house up north is likely to be a building site this autumn so not an option.

Weather permitting it would be a great opportunity to explore the far north of Scotland and possibly the islands but, if the weather is not good, what alternatives would you suggest for a fortnight in October?

We have enjoyed camping/caravan I g holidays in the lakes and Cornwall before but not really explored other areas.
If you enjoy wildlife and walking then Norfolk or North Wales including Angelsey.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
North Essex area is actually a great place to visit .... Great beaches, lots of history, museums, castles etc.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ah but we do - I teach šŸ˜‚. We get 2 weeks at October though. I canā€™t remember why but we go back a week earlier (17th August this year) and get the extra week in October.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Some great ideas thanks ā€¦ York and NE England might be nice as we could visit family too or Wales ā€¦

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
The Cotswolds
Beautiful towns marvelous scenery not a bit of heather insight.
Lots of small villages with excellent pubs.
Just had a week there and not long enough to fulfil all that is offered

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We are in a similar situation and our usual planning just takes account of the weather - we go where it is best!!! Often the decision is only made a couple of days before šŸ„“

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Kent. The sunny South, start Canterbury Park and ride to visit Cathedral and city, sought out local weather then plan your sites Margate, Dover, Folkestone area.
Factor 30 suncream should cover your needs

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We are in a similar situation and our usual planning just takes account of the weather - we go where it is best!!! Often the decision is only made a couple of days before šŸ„“
That is in all likelihood what we will do. Great to get the ideas in though as I enjoy planning different options.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Northumberland, Yorkshire, Cumbria are all great places for touring. October weather is changeable but thatā€™s to be expected. Open countryside, little traffic, few people, loads of wildlife and glorious autumn tree colours. Most of the country pubs will have open fires lit. Iā€™m almost looking forward to autumn myself now.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Out of season we have stayed in the York area. There is a small site at the Lysander Arms north of the city. The Park and Ride is within walking distance.
York has a lot of indoor things to do in inclement weather.
Yes, York would be a good choice - weather nice and itā€™s not far to the sea too

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
London. You will never run out of things to see. Abbey Wood site good base trains to london

PS the nightclubs will be openšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We did NC500 anti clockwise last October/November for 3 weeks it was stunning in its autumnal colours. Fairly quiet and the only bad weather we had was the day before we were due to come home and storm Aiden hit. We could do it again and not visit any of the places we saw last year.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Not sure this question is very helpful. There are so many places to go in the UK and what time of year doesn't really matter with the unpredictability of UK weather. So many good places already mentioned.

However, let me just tell you what we have done (and enjoyed) since April

North Norfolk (Sandringham)
Cambridge (nice site just 3 miles out of town)
Peak district -Castleton and Bakewell sites
Henley on Thames
Snowdon (nice little CL site near Penygores - good access to walk up Snowdon)
Brighton - lovely site just north of the marina - only a mile or tow out of town.

We are intending going to Scotland in October. Probably starting around Loch Lomand area and work north from there.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Another for Borders and Northumberland, wonderful country.
If you are time-limited to say, a fortnight then you might not want too much travelling time
We are heading there in Sept, woohoo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back