Ideas for new bike - step through hybrid, possibly/probably electric (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I have a Rose Trekking Black Creek hybrid which I love. However, it’s a man’s frame with a crossbar and, after a bad fall last year, I have a condition where lower leg wounds just don’t heal so I need a super stable step through bike to try to minimise risk of injury.
As I have increasingly dodgy knees and a sore left hip I’m thinking electric might be sensible. Where we live is really hilly and a rough track to the house - something capable of the chunky Marathon type tyres would suit.
I’m used to 27 gears so would struggle with single speed.
We have a PVC with Busbiker cycle carrier.
Ideally I’d like a bike suited to hills at home plus pootling into town and along river banks on holiday.
I’d prefer to pay more and get a lighter bike but I can’t afford some bikes I’ve seen in Germany €4000-€6500. Bikes something that rides ok without the battery would be good.
It needs good range as we won’t be able to charge every day.

I’d be interested in any models anyone had that look as if they’d fit the bill and also any advice on what to look for/avoid.

I’ve read some of the old threads but that is the limit of my knowledge. I’m imagining 2020 models will be coming out soon.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
how about an
" E Fat bike"!
or a step through from woosh BIG BEAR Ebike around £1200

1565981957290.png

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Once I am home at the end of this month I will be selling my Dutch Gazelle orange C7 stepthrough frame. Bosch crank drive with 7 gears, sprung seat post, comfort saddle, front fork suspension in white and silver. Alloy frame and wheels. Normally you would have to sell a kidney to buy one of these bikes, if you could find one but am looking at around £750 for mine and its as new.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
27 gears? The modern approach is less is more, having a three ring front chainring plus the rear multi sprocket cassette was frequently duplicating. A single front ring and 9-11 rear cassette is sufficient and give a few less parts to wear and go wrong.

The cheaper e-bikes will have a front wheel hub motor or possibly rear hub motor. As the photos above they often have a carrier mounted battery. For leisure road use that can be sufficient. But the motor and battery have added weight to the bike and if higher mounted can create a higher centre of gravity. Particularly on a front wheel hub it's odd to be powering the bike at the rear by pedaling and having the bike pulled along by the front steering wheel. Conversion kits are typically hub motors.

Better bikes, and those more suited to non tarmac terrain, due to the lower centre of gravity will have the motor integrated in the frame as part of the crankset, and the battery is usually low mounted on the front frame tube. This will be the heart of the Bosch system but also derivatives like Shimano's motor. But this comes at a price, upwards of at least £1500.

There are different battery capacities. What you need depends on the duration of your rides, terrain, and how much support you want from the motor. I prefer gravelled forest type tracks to tarmac, but am a hefty weight, I try on my Bosch system with 500 powerpack to use the Eco (60% assistance) mode rather than the Tour (140%) or even Turbo (340%). With Eco I might have a range of around 40 miles on the average ride, but Turbo would be less than 10 miles. This is of course far less than Bosch might predict (but that's probably the same as MPG estimates for vehicles). But my cycling is also fairly pants - without the motor I'm that slow on hills a cycle computer would switch off "no movement detected". Tarmac roads with narrow road tyres may do better. My mountain style bike has chunky 3.6" tyres no doubt affecting efficiency.

But I'd never have a standard bike again, and when I get out on it, the e-bike just makes things so enjoyable.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Having a hub motor on my electric bike I would now go for one with the Bosch crank motor which puts the power through the gears , it’s fitted on some less expensive bikes than you quote and well worth considering .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We got our electric bikes in Germany and got a deal on buying two. :oops:
Must be the biggest company that sells bikes, they have a track in the store, they measure you up and you can try as many bikes as you wish. :cool: Bob.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Must be the biggest company that sells bikes, they have a track in the store, they measure you up and you can try as many bikes as you wish. :cool: Bob.

Looks great ... on ferry home just now ... wish I could turn round and head back!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Once I am home at the end of this month I will be selling my Dutch Gazelle orange C7 stepthrough frame. Bosch crank drive with 7 gears, sprung seat post, comfort saddle, front fork suspension in white and silver. Alloy frame and wheels. Normally you would have to sell a kidney to buy one of these bikes, if you could find one but am looking at around £750 for mine and its as new.
Did this sell?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
OOps, sorry, I thought you meant the etrike. Yes, the Dutch bike went to a happy funster some time ago.
never mind... looking for something for the wife, sounded like a good bike too

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
And having tried numerous bikes I’m still loving my hybrid. If anything I’d be tempted to go more MTB I think. Jury’s still out in electric ... if I’m honest I was struggling more with my behind being sore ...

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We once had a battery assisted foldable bike with small wheels and a long handlebar and seat stem and what a nightmare of a bike to ride. Our next battery powered bike will have the normal size wheels like the photo above.

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you've not already bought, have a look at
Halfords sometimes do discounts

It is an electric bike with the superb very smooth German engineered Fazua Evation drive system . The battery and motor are detachable leaving you with 3.5Kg lighter ordinary bike with no drag from cranks or motors.
These lecky bikes really are on a different level to the old heavy Bosch hub type.

You could also look at https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-e/
Same drive system a wider range of models and prices but unfortunately not with a 'female' frame.

I'd 100% recommend the electric route, age and injuries catches up with us all. Fortunately technology has recently quickly established a lovely new genre of bikes called gravel bikes. Not a heavy MTB that is like pedaling treacle on a tarmac road , nor a carbon road bike that wouldn't take the hammer of being off road.
Gravel bikes are a true hybrid , just a tyre change away from being suitable for a road riding, gravel, singletrack, cyclocross, touring, commuting, and bike packing.
HTH

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Bought our Scotts from Germany, saved £500 each over the best UK price.

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you've not already bought, have a look at
Halfords sometimes do discounts

They have £200 off this price now.
If you take out British Cycling Membership (from £25) you should be able to get another 10% off .
Making this £1845. Stunning price for a very lightweight 15.5kg bike.
Halfords do lifetime free safety checks and lifetime manufacturer guarantee.

It is exactly the same brilliant motor system that goes into top high end £8,000 Look and Pinarello bikes!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
These people know the subject inside out and are unbiased:

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
They have £200 off this price now.
If you take out British Cycling Membership (from £25) you should be able to get another 10% off .
Making this £1845. Stunning price for a very lightweight 15.5kg bike.
Halfords do lifetime free safety checks and lifetime manufacturer guarantee.

It is exactly the same brilliant motor system that goes into top high end £8,000 Look and Pinarello bikes!

thanks ... the only downside is not step through but the ability to remove the electric parts (eg if we’re off grid and can’t charge) is a big plus ? as is the weight.
Is the 15.5kg including the battery and motor?
Its my birthday on 27th do this could be a possibility.
thank you.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I have a problem with hybrids, the whole frame geometry seems wrong. If you set the saddle so the pedal distance is correct, leg not quite fully extended, it is then too far to reach the ground easily when you stop. I think they use a mountain bike frame with the brake caliper mountings moved up to allow fitment of larger wheels, the problem is the crank bearing is then too high. Best get a proper bike. I have to say i do love electric, suddenly hills hold no fear, if you only use the electrics on the steep hills you get your exercise without too much pain. Longer more interesting trips can be tackled. I then find the limiting factor is not being tired, it is the pain in the bum and wrists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back