Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Agree totally with the above.

My stance on it is that i have paid my TV License and so I do not feel the least bit guilty about receiving signals from Intelsat.
What has paying your TV licence got to do with illegally downloading encrypted satellite signals?

Scaremongering when the chances of getting caught doing this in a motorhome that is stationary in one place for a relatively short period of time is probably zero is a bit silly. What direction my dish is pointing at is my business and try and come over the threshold of my motorhome uninvited and you will have to deal with SWMBO!
Scaremongering? Silly? No as a major supplier and installer of satellite TV equipment to the UK motorhome market I am balancing the advice given by traders, some with little or nothing tangible to loose. The myth being propagated is that you can buy equipment and watch English TV in Spain and it is not a problem

It is not silly advising people on a major motorhome information portal that it is illegal.

If you find the truth annoying there is nothing I can about that. Many people decide that not paying a TV licence is worth the risk, however, if you do get caught you will be punished, which is why the majority of us would rather pay. Just because my car can go much faster than 70 MPH doesn't mean that I have a "moral right" to what the hell I like just because I have paid my excise duty!

If I am in the UK and I cannot receive Terrestial TV and my Satellite Dish line of sight to ASTRA is blocked by trees/flags/buildings etc guess what I will be trying next.
Dunno? Read a book? go for a bike ride, go for a run :ROFLMAO:

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
As a dealer in satellite equipment I appreciate your situation.

Your comments were going to give me sleepless nights - I cannot bear the shame of the Intelsat Police knocking on my habitation door so
I have gone straight outside and crushed my Icecrypt receiver by driving over it with my Motorhome.

Thats £68 you owe me :D2

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
What has paying your TV licence got to do with illegally downloading encrypted satellite signals?

Scaremongering? Silly? No as a major supplier and installer of satellite TV equipment to the UK motorhome market I am balancing the advice given by traders, some with little or nothing tangible to loose. The myth being propagated is that you can buy equipment and watch English TV in Spain and it is not a problem

It is not silly advising people on a major motorhome information portal that it is illegal.

If you find the truth annoying there is nothing I can about that. Many people decide that not paying a TV licence is worth the risk, however, if you do get caught you will be punished, which is why the majority of us would rather pay. Just because my car can go much faster than 70 MPH doesn't mean that I have a "moral right" to what the hell I like just because I have paid my excise duty!

Dunno? Read a book? go for a bike ride, go for a run :ROFLMAO:

There's a world of difference between pointing out the legal position of using or attempting to use Intelsat 907 to receive UK signals, and pure and utter scaremongering by suggesting there is a likelihood of a MH being seized. My own personal view is that in the very, very unlikely circumstances of some authority objecting directly, a UK TV licence holder would have at the very least a strong mitigating defence in that they were merely viewing content that would be freely available to them if they were in the UK. There would be no intention to defraud or obtain monetary advantage.

You are of course fully entitled to your own opinion, but it seems to me that your comments on this and other posts on this subject come over as sour grapes that some suppliers gain business by offering customers what they want/need. My own supplier of an Oyster autoskew/ Avtex, and Icecrypt made it quite clear to me the legal position, and also the fact that there would be no guarantee as to the length of time it would be possible to use the system. It was my own choice to proceed.

Malcolm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There's a world of difference between pointing out the legal position of using or attempting to use Intelsat 907 to receive UK signals, and pure and utter scaremongering by suggesting there is a likelihood of a MH being seized. My own personal view is that in the very, very unlikely circumstances of some authority objecting directly, a UK TV licence holder would have at the very least a strong mitigating defence in that they were merely viewing content that would be freely available to them if they were in the UK. There would be no intention to defraud or obtain monetary advantage.

You are of course fully entitled to your own opinion, but it seems to me that your comments on this and other posts on this subject come over as sour grapes that some suppliers gain business by offering customers what they want/need. My own supplier of an Oyster autoskew/ Avtex, and Icecrypt made it quite clear to me the legal position, and also the fact that there would be no guarantee as to the length of time it would be possible to use the system. It was my own choice to proceed.

Malcolm
If your happy to break the law fine. It is your moral choice. It is called "Signal theft" Theft being the operative word.

Paying a the BBC licence fee has got diddly squat to illegally downloading encrypted material you have absolutely no right to do.

As for freely available, the BBC will not even let you watch BBC iPlayer abroad so hardly "freely available"

As for sour grapes? laughable! All I keep pointing out is that downloading encrypted signals is illegal, how ever you want to justify it, presumably to protect your own moral compass.

I wonder how much money I am loosing at shows, not flogging boxes at £60 a pop :ROFLMAO: Come to think of it it may help if we actually took ANY boxes to flog at shows :giggle: Maplins is the best place to get one, next day delivery and a decent warranty.

I wonder what other laws people are prepared to ignore so long as they can get what they desperately need?

In this case the need/obsession/desire (I don't know which) to have British TV when on holiday

As I said in a previous post, I do understand "why" people want to do it, just so long as people understand that they "shouldn't"

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I've just recieved a speeding notice today, so we all know mine;)

Now your entering into the spirit of the thing Eddie.

I have got one of those illegal 'A' Frame things too - I see myself like some kind of Highwayman of olden times.

Just think using an 'A' Frame and watching Intelsat in Spain - they'd throw the key away :notworthy:

Perhaps we need a combined 'A' Frame, Hydraulic Levellers, Payload and Intelsat thread - that would stir up some trouble :D

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Now your entering into the spirit of the thing Eddie.

I have got one of those illegal 'A' Frame things too - I see myself like some kind of Highwayman of olden times.

Just think using an 'A' Frame and watching Intelsat in Spain - they'd throw the key away :notworthy:

Perhaps we need a combined 'A' Frame, Hydraulic Levellers, Payload and Intelsat thread - that would stir up some trouble :D
What about gassing?

Anyway, what I say I do and what I "do" are not always the same thing(y)

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
It arrived this afternoon and have already scanned Astra 2, seems I can't drive my motorised dish with it so can't do 907 until I get it in the van.I have a motorised dish on the house so will do all the others that it will turn to with my other box,it just doesnt recognise 907.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
It arrived this afternoon and have already scanned Astra 2, seems I can't drive my motorised dish with it so can't do 907 until I get it in the van.I have a motorised dish on the house so will do all the others that it will turn to with my other box,it just doesnt recognise 907.
Hi , did you get a standard icecrypt 1600 chd or has it had the software flashed for Intelsat? A standard box won't work

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I bought the s1700 after talking to them and they flashed it for me.
Who "flashed" it for you after talking to them,??? I have just bought an Icecrypt 1600chdse and would like to know how to put the required settings in to receive bbc ,itv etc, in Spain/Portugal. I have the 85cm oyster with auto skew so my equipment should be up to it, I did have a previous Icecrypt box but after a few months of non-use it has given up the ghost. Can any one advise on how to do this please?? TIA.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Who "flashed" it for you after talking to them,??? I have just bought an Icecrypt 1600chdse and would like to know how to put the required settings in to receive bbc ,itv etc, in Spain/Portugal. I have the 85cm oyster with auto skew so my equipment should be up to it, I did have a previous Icecrypt box but after a few months of non-use it has given up the ghost. Can any one advise on how to do this please?? TIA.
Turbosat but they now seem to be out of business.:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back