Icecrypt for Intelsat 907. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Have seen that you can get some UK TV channels using an IcecryptS1600 and tuning into Intelsat 907,can you also use the S1700?

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks @ambulancekidd ,I have read that and more. Another fun member has bought the s1700 as it is faster and has more functions,just not sure if you can decrypt this one as all the info seems to say the s1600 does the job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks @ambulancekidd ,I have read that and more. Another fun member has bought the s1700 as it is faster and has more functions,just not sure if you can decrypt this one as all the info seems to say the s1600 does the job.
According to Amazon seller https://www.ama zon.co.uk/S1700-Icecrypt-S1700CHD/dp/B00LX3U008/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1503378521&sr=1-1 you can enter BISS codes so would assume this allows access to Intelsat 907. (Broken Link Removed)
It's on offer at £70 as well.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just remember it is illegal and you could get fined, heafty if they wish to make an example of you, and the equipment can be confiscated, awkward if it is bonded to your motorhome and they take that.

Also bear in mind that this service was due to be turned off some time ago, but is still available and that the BISS codes can change at the drop of a hat

I understand what people do it, I just think that some that sell the equipment underestimate the potential legal risks, technical problems should the codes be changed and the fact it is well past its turn off date.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Just remember it is illegal and you could get fined, heafty if they wish to make an example of you, and the equipment can be confiscated, awkward if it is bonded to your motorhome and they take that.

Also bear in mind that this service was due to be turned off some time ago, but is still available and that the BISS codes can change at the drop of a hat

I understand what people do it, I just think that some that sell the equipment underestimate the potential legal risks, technical problems should the codes be changed and the fact it is well past its turn off date.
Who is actually going to come round to your camper and check if you are watching tv from the Intelsat satellite bearing in mind you are only watching freely available tv channels not a subscribable service?
If they were that bothered about it why did they use biss encryption the weakest of them all?
Biss codes haven't changed in two years
The last Intelsat satellite lasted nearly 7 years past its decommission date. Just saying

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Who is actually going to come round to your camper and check if you are watching tv from the Intelsat satellite bearing in mind you are only watching freely available tv channels not a subscribable service?
If they were that bothered about it why did they use biss encryption the weakest of them all?
Biss codes haven't changed in two years
The last Intelsat satellite lasted nearly 7 years past its decommission date. Just saying
You can tell at a glance as the satellite points a different direction.

The channels are not freely available channels. There are a number of legal and copyright reasons. How do is BBC "freely available" in Spain?

The system is designed as an emergency back up for the UK Freeview masts which are fed by underground fibre optic cables in case of damage.

I'm not making a moral judgement, nor saying it won't work, but just advising people that you run the risks of doing it. We as bona fide business can't get involved, nor will for example will Oyster assist as when the DoDah hits the fan we would be involved legally as "we should know" At every show happy smiley people come up asking about using this when they're abroad, we could either lie and sell them stuff, or, as we do explain the truth and reality and then let them make their own choices. What we don't do is take their money. If it were risk free and 100% legal why on earth wouldn't we?

I often suggest to people that are torn between believing us, who are refusing to sell them something and the information supplied by someone who 'is" trying to sell them something, Ask the third party to write down on headed notepaper, with a proper address and contact details (not just a web site and a mobile:LOL:) that the equipment being sold is legal and a 100% money back guarantee is offered, along with an indemnity against any financial loss!

Buying something online or out of the back of a van at a show means no comeback to the seller!

Also "just sayin" :D2

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Should maybe add that Jacksons satellites only deals with the S1600CHD se model.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Trust me the S1600CHD se model works fine as well.

Other considerations are that you need a 85cm Oyster Autoskew for it to work well further South.

Autoskew or you will physically have to rotate (skew) the LNB about the same amount in the other direction that is required for ASTRA 2.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Other considerations are that you need a 85cm Oyster Autoskew for it to work well further South.

Autoskew or you will physically have to rotate (skew) the LNB about the same amount in the other direction that is required for ASTRA 2.
Got the autoskew model.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I just don't understand this copyright thingy, how is it that all the people in Europe can see the channels back home- Germans in Spain, French in Germany and all the others - but the English have this copyright thing and say- oh no not allowed old boy- why oh why are the English missing out AGAIN? I may be mistaken but I thought the the EU Commission said that all EU citizens should be able to receive the programs from native countries.

Just saying :D2

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@bigtree don't buy the HDMI or the IR separate. They are actually in the box though the ad states otherwise.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I just don't understand this copyright thingy, how is it that all the people in Europe can see the channels back home- Germans in Spain, French in Germany and all the others - but the English have this copyright thing and say- oh no not allowed old boy- why oh why are the English missing out AGAIN?
BBC SKY ITV et al only buy the UK rights for films and sports. There is no point them paying millions extra to beam it in English across Europe, for a handful of holiday makers to watch. Anything good home grown, they in turn sell on to the European broadcasters, suitable dubbed or sub titled.

Bear in mind that your not even allowed to watch normal TV in your motorhome unless you have a licence in your home, and you have signed a declaration to state that when your away in your motorhome/caravan that no one at home will simultaneously be watching TV! No one does of course but we are all meant to and the links and PDF's are all there to be followed.

I may be mistaken but I thought the the EU Commission said that all EU citizens should be able to receive the programs from native countries.

I've never heard that, and given the technical and legal issues it would be hard.

I blame Sky and early Sky customers. Had Sky chosen to use Astra 19.2 as does most of Europe, Sky FTA Freesat etc would be available across Europe and the legal eagles would have written the contracts accordingly. Money control and encryption drove him to Astra 28.2 and its annoyingly small footprint

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
BBC SKY ITV et al only buy the UK rights for films and sports. There is no point them paying millions extra to beam it in English across Europe, for a handful of holiday makers to watch. Anything good home grown, they in turn sell on to the European broadcasters, suitable dubbed or sub titled.

Bear in mind that your not even allowed to watch normal TV in your motorhome unless you have a licence in your home, and you have signed a declaration to state that when your away in your motorhome/caravan that no one at home will simultaneously be watching TV! No one does of course but we are all meant to and the links and PDF's are all there to be followed.

I've never heard that, and given the technical and legal issues it would be hard.

I blame Sky and early Sky customers. Had Sky chosen to use Astra 19.2 as does most of Europe, Sky FTA Freesat etc would be available across Europe and the legal eagles would have written the contracts accordingly. Money control and encryption drove him to Astra 28.2 and its annoyingly small footprint

But Sky have started a service in Germany and are thinking of starting in Spain over the internet.......I thought I read, so how does that fit the contracts? Just wondering

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970

You don't have to have Autoskew, just add a second LNB and a DiSEqC switch, works fine. Don't forget you may not have Intelsat to choose from So search for HispaSat with the second LNB then go to manual with a meter on screen and go about three clicks left and two clicks up to get the best signal. It will then return to the same place each day if you don't move the van. You will need to program the switch into the box of course to switch between LNB's automatically.
All totally theoretical of course nobody would ever dream of watching something that Auntie Beeb would not like you to would they?
Steve

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But Sky have started a service in Germany and are thinking of starting in Spain over the internet.......I thought I read, so how does that fit the contracts? Just wondering
Sky's German service is a German subscription service for German residence it isn't the UK Sky simply beamed into Germany.

It is all academic as we will all be watching TV over the internet soon with a pay per view system automatically debiting what we watch from our banks

I reckon ten years tops as a guess

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You don't have to have Autoskew, just add a second LNB and a DiSEqC switch, works fine. Don't forget you may not have Intelsat to choose from So search for HispaSat with the second LNB then go to manual with a meter on screen and go about three clicks left and two clicks up to get the best signal. It will then return to the same place each day if you don't move the van. You will need to program the switch into the box of course to switch between LNB's automatically.
All totally theoretical of course nobody would ever dream of watching something that Auntie Beeb would not like you to would they?
Steve
learning Spanish sounds easier LOL

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Steve
It's a good system isn't it Steve? See you in manta rota

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It is all academic as we will all be watching TV over the internet soon with a pay per view system automatically debiting what we watch from our banks
I reckon ten years tops as a guess
That's going to be great with Satellite internet. One episode of Neighbors and your months allowance is gone.
So all we will be able to do is sit and think how to (theoretically) watch tv illegally.
Or, as you say, try to learn Spanish. Unfortunately my mind is wired to understand how to program a DiSEqC switch rather than learn Spanish. Anyway it's great fun watching people try to work out why any idiot would have Three LNB's on a Motorhome satellite dish. I just tell em I work for NASA.
STEVE

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It's a good system isn't it Steve? See you in manta rota
Yes Sean,
Theoretical TV is wonderful. Nearly as good as the real thing.
Trying to decide whether Portugal or Morocco this year.
Steve

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I just don't understand this copyright thingy, how is it that all the people in Europe can see the channels back home- Germans in Spain, French in Germany and all the others - but the English have this copyright thing and say- oh no not allowed old boy- why oh why are the English missing out AGAIN? I may be mistaken but I thought the the EU Commission said that all EU citizens should be able to receive the programs from native countries.

Most French channels are encrypted on satellite and require a viewing card sent to a French address to view...as are Spanish TV channels...so there is some "locking" of channel even if the signals are freely available...

EU have said nothing of the sort...IIRC it was that all EU citizens are required to have access to news and events in their own language across the EU. For the UK BBC World News (and Sky News) provide this, and is why every country has a few free to air news channels available across Europe...it does not mean ALL channels needs to be accessed by all.

and are thinking of starting in Spain over the internet.......I thought I read, so how does that fit the contracts? Just wondering
Because they will only show content that they have the rights to for Spain...of which most of the content that Sky UK show will be tied down to other broadcasters and providers and so will not be available on this internet service.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Most French channels are encrypted on satellite and require a viewing card sent to a French address to view...as are Spanish TV channels...so there is some "locking" of channel even if the signals are freely available...

EU have said nothing of the sort...IIRC it was that all EU citizens are required to have access to news and events in their own language across the EU. For the UK BBC World News (and Sky News) provide this, and is why every country has a few free to air news channels available across Europe...it does not mean ALL channels needs to be accessed by all.

Because they will only show content that they have the rights to for Spain...of which most of the content that Sky UK show will be tied down to other broadcasters and providers and so will not be available on this internet service.

I guess you are right.....I get lots of Spanish "Free" channels at my house in Spain and as you say lots are encrypted.

At least we can see quite clearly why, some will go the extra mile- legal or not - to see "home" programs. It does however surprise me that the service provider seems to ignore the fact that a couple of million (or more) across Europe would happily pay for an encrypted TV service, surely that would pay for the extra costs involved.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I agree DiSEqC is extremly simple a fool can do it
That's a little harsh Eddie, some people don't even know what it is, let alone how to use it, I wouldn't call hem fools. By the same token I my brain is not wired for languages and I don't expect to be ridiculed for it. Everybody is different. I have a friend who is fluent in about five languages but asks me how to use or fix his computer. Which to me is so simple that " any fool should be able to do it ".
But your stance on Intelsat I totally agree with. I wouldn't expect you to install, recommend or even condone the use of it. It's a hobbyist thing if you understand the risks, have the ability to do it and are prepared to take the risk then like speeding or overloading a Motorhome that is up to the individual.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
But your stance on Intelsat I totally agree with. I wouldn't expect you to install, recommend or even condone the use of it. It's a hobbyist thing if you understand the risks, have the ability to do it and are prepared to take the risk then like speeding or overloading a Motorhome that is up to the individual.

Agree totally with the above.

My stance on it is that i have paid my TV License and so I do not feel the least bit guilty about receiving signals from Intelsat.

Scaremongering when the chances of getting caught doing this in a motorhome that is stationary in one place for a relatively short period of time is probably zero is a bit silly. What direction my dish is pointing at is my business and try and come over the threshold of my motorhome uninvited and you will have to deal with SWMBO!

If I am in the UK and I cannot receive Terrestial TV and my Satellite Dish line of sight to ASTRA is blocked by trees/flags/buildings etc guess what I will be trying next.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back