Ice,water, danger, dogs (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I took Laika the wonder dog to Battersea park today. The boating lake was frozen and I didn't think much of it and my only thought was, it must be cold to do that.
Laika was off her lead and running about in the snow, she saw a moorhen on the ice and ran after it , I called her back but she was so focussed , she ran about 20 foot into the lake and then fell through the ice. I called her and called her giving her encouragement to come back but she just couldn't get back on the ice . She started screaming and I started panicking . The park was almost empty but suddenly this guy ran past me into water and I shouted not to do it I would go in but he just said " leave it to me" . He waded out to her by which time she was going under, he grabbed her and brought her back to the edge.
Laika was happy to be on land , there was a young mum there with her 2 year old daughter who took my scarf to dry Laika off while I helped the guy out the water . His name was Alan and as you can imagine he was very cold and shivering like mad.
I called an amubulance for him , Alan was so calm and all he was worried about was Laika.
I gave Alan my coat and we all waited for he ambulance to arrive . Alan only lived across the road from the park so they did a brief examination and took him home. All looked well with him.
I know they say the dog will get out by themselves but Laika could not get out or break the ice. She would have drowned.
I took her to the park cafe and dried her under he hot air dryers in the toilet. I walked back to the lake to find a lost glove, Laika was on her lead now but she was ready to go back chasing the wildlife and go back on the ice.
Through my stupidity by not having her on her lead I could have lost her and Alan could have been seriously injured or died from hypothermia. I just didn't think.
He was such a calm , caring guy I will forever, be grateful to him .
I will be calling round to see him with a card and gift tomorrow to thank him.
Please be careful round frozen water.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
That is a story that shows how superb the public can be in a crisis, it makes you proud to be a human for a change.

We have two border collies, the older one at 11 years old adores the water winter or summer & I deliberately don't let her near anywhere that she might decide to swim. The younger dog only wants to swim when its warmer.

I'm delighted that Laika is alive & well, its a lesson that can be learned by all dog owners, dogs just don't see the danger.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that must have been terrifying to see Laika nearly die in front of you. Well done Alan, but what a seriously stupid risk to take

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Wow. What a story to tell. So glad all was well in the end, could have been so different.
When I was at school we had to go across the canal (on a swing bridge of course) and one day when the canal was frozen one of the lads tried to walk across the ice well it gave way beneath him and another lad had to get him out, luckily he did. So scary.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh Kevin what a awfu experience thankfully it had a good ending what a brave caring man Alan was but I bet it will give you worries for a while, can't see Lakia off her lead in icy conditions again. Hope your both alright today.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That man is a hero, what an incredible thing to do although seriously risked his own life.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
A timely reminder to be more aware of the conditions when out with our dogs. I'm so relieved it was a happy ending when it could easily have gone the other way.

Well done that man.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A timely reminder to be more aware of the conditions when out with our dogs. I'm so relieved it was a happy ending when it could easily have gone the other way.

Well done that man.

Recovering Human bodies from Lakes, canals and Rivers was part of my Job, in nearly 30 years I never needed to recover the body of a dead dog, people yes. Untrained members of the public should not attempt these so called Acts of Bravery.....losing a dog does not compare with a child losing a father.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Recovering Human bodies from Lakes, canals and Rivers was part of my Job, in nearly 30 years I never needed to recover the body of a dead dog, people yes. Untrained members of the public should not attempt these so called Acts of Bravery.....losing a dog does not compare with a child losing a father.
Yes I see your point but I had assumed that as the rescuer lived opposite he may have been aware of the depth of the water.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
that must have been terrifying to see Laika nearly die in front of you. Well done Alan, but what a seriously stupid risk to take
Yes it was and one I will never take again.
The speed of the incident was incredible, one second she was running in the snow the next in the water.
I suppose like everything you think it will never happen to you but it did. I will be eternally grateful to Alan and when I feel angry with things I will think of his kindness and the young mum who helped me.
But your right.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Unfortunately a gentleman died yesterday in Bexleyheath it's believed he was attempting to rescue a dog in the lake at Dansen park. Please do not become a victim, your children would rather loose a dog than a parent.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The compulsion to help often far out ways the helpless feeling you have standing around watching a potential fatality, especially of an animal in obvious distress. When we lived in Scotland, one of my dogs fell into a very fast flowing river during the Winter. I did stop and think about whether or not to jump in and let her try to get out herself . Her paw got caught in a branch and her body and head started to be dragged under. So in I went without a second thought and as I hit the water, I did suddenly see the headline - "Man dies saving dog". Knowing I had the tree to hold onto and the river was only waist deep, in I went and pulled her out. Not once do you even think, I'm going to be a hero or how brave am I. It is the overwhelming human nature to help if you can. I strongly believed I was going to be OK and she would have died if I hadn't gone in.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It is the overwhelming human nature to help if you can.
I totally agree with you. I did a similar thing in a river in spate.
And I'm truly sorry that it makes awful work for others @jumar , but in similar circumstances I'd (probably) do it again. My dogs were my family.

Laikathewonderdog you are one lucky lady. Hugs to you and @Kevinthecat and, of course, Alan.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Alan sounds like one in a million :clap::clap:
Glad Laika is ok :smiley:

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Met up with Alan earlier on . We took a bag of goodies for him and a card . We spoke about the incident and he felt if he hadn't rushed in as he did , Laika would have drowned. I feel he was right .
We hugged, shook hands and he now has my mobile so he can call me if he needs a hand with anything . I've told him I would be more than happy to help him out with gardening etc .
He's off to Spain tomorrow, hopefully we can stay in touch as he is a very kind and caring person.
Oh, he had my lost glove so I'm glad I didn't throw the one I had away .
I went back into the park with Laika the wonderdog ON THE LEAD , the ice on the water had really reduced which suprised me as it remains very cold.
I still feel emotional when I think about everything but I'm glad I have met Alan and I have learnt a big lesson.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back