Icad Registration in France - an update (1 Viewer)

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
I've just called in to my vets here in France to book the wormer 'vermifuge pour visite en Angleterre' for our dogs as we are travelling to the UK shortly. No problems at all but the receptionist did check their French passports and that they were all registered with Icad. She also mentioned that French vets have now been told not to administer the wormer or stamp the passport if the animal isn't registered with Icad.

For anyone who has a French pet passport but didn't register with Icad, just a heads up that more vets are checking this now.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I've just called in to my vets here in France to book the wormer 'vermifuge pour visite en Angleterre' for our dogs as we are travelling to the UK shortly. No problems at all but the receptionist did check their French passports and that they were all registered with Icad. She also mentioned that French vets have now been told not to administer the wormer or stamp the passport if the animal isn't registered with Icad.

For anyone who has a French pet passport but didn't register with Icad, just a heads up that more vets are checking this now.
Please can you ask your vet for a copy of this directive (or whatever it is called) and who it was issued by. Many thanks.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

Are you truly trying to say that dogs in France are refused medical treatment if they aren’t registered with Icad?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
No, this is for the wormer which is required for them to travel to the UK

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Please can you ask your vet for a copy of this directive (or whatever it is called) and who it was issued by. Many thanks.
It's commonly available from Icad, Schengen visas, France visas and numerous other sources. I'm out at the moment but will have a look for one of the references when I get home

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Are you truly trying to say that dogs in France are refused medical treatment if they aren’t registered with Icad?
No, this is for the wormer which is required for them to travel to the UK. Vets will always treat a sick animal

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It's commonly available from Icad, Schengen visas, France visas and numerous other sources. I'm out at the moment but will have a look for one of the references when I get home
Thank you. I have not seen it anywhere.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Can you please give me the name and phone number of your vet, so I can have a chat with him/her?
I want to make sure that there is no misunderstanding, and as a French native, nothing will escape me.
Thanks
maz Tell me if you want specific questions to be asked. What I get is that it is for pets having a French passport.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
maz Tell me if you want specific questions to be asked. What I get is that it is for pets having a French passport.
Hi Frankie. What I would like to know is:

1. Who has this directive come from?
2. What exactly does it say?
3. What is its standing in actual law?

Many thanks, Frankie. (y)

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I took our dog to our usual vet yesterday, for both a health check and a pre-crossing worming tablet. As far as I am aware, no computer-based checks were made. Passport signed and dated without problems. As said, it was our usual vet, so will have to ask on my next visit, probably September, about Icad.

John

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Can you please give me the name and phone number of your vet, so I can have a chat with him/her?
I want to make sure that there is no misunderstanding, and as a French native, nothing will escape me.
Thanks
I can assure you there's no misunderstanding.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie. What I would like to know is:

1. Who has this directive come from?
2. What exactly does it say?
3. What is its standing in actual law?

Many thanks, Frankie.
As obviously the OP doesn't want to give her vet's details then I'm going to phone different vets especially in Britany but also in other parts of France and see what they tell me. I haven't got a dog anymore but I want to make sure, and I don't think this is something offensive, that pets owners are not being taken for easy targets.
This is highly annoying me. I'll make a few searches to see who can give me a proper information.
As far as I'm concerned, end of discussion. I will give the results to Maz by PM so she can relay what I found.

Good night all!
Amicalement
Frankie

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The vet will have to give dogs the wormer for the dog to return to the uk French passport or not.

We went to two vets about three weeks ago in France. One gave rabies jab, and vaccine for kennel cough, and registered these in the French PP, not ICAD registered. Then another vet a week later, who gave worming tablet and registered this on the French PP.

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
What a load of rubbish ! I posted here to update members that vets are starting to check Icad registrations but I get shot down in flames by someone who appears to be looking for an argument. My dogs are now effectively French; I'm a French resident so I've followed the rules to the letter. If anyone wants to speak to me privately please feel free but I refuse to be drawn into an argument about this. Good evening all

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
What a load of rubbish ! I posted here to update members that vets are starting to check Icad registrations but I get shot down in flames by someone who appears to be looking for an argument. My dogs are now effectively French; I'm a French resident so I've followed the rules to the letter. If anyone wants to speak to me privately please feel free but I refuse to be drawn into an argument about this. Good evening all
Nobody is looking for an argument. You said that amongst other things French vets are now not allowed to administer worming treatment to gigs not on the Icad register. As far as I am aware worming tablets are medical treatment that may need to be administered for a variety of reasons. What about dogs owned by tourists from other EU countries? There may well be some law or regulation that links the issue of French pet passports to Icad registration, although I’ve seen no definitive proof of this, merely hearsay, for example this thread. I stand by my original thoughts that being unable to have worming tablets administered if a dog is not on the French Icad data base is total nonsense

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I’m not particularly looking for an argument, but nor am I prepared to just accept a bald statement that doesn’t make any sense to me. Hence the request for more information. If this is supposedly a ‘rule’ then it has to be made publicly available so that we can follow it.

There are a number of posters on Facebook who will post what they regard as the ‘rules’, but they always fail to provide any evidence to back up their claims. Interestingly, most of them are drawbridge expats. MotorhomeFun has a fine tradition of not just meekly accepting what we are told but asking questions to get to the truth of the matter. Let’s keep it that way.

cocolux

Free Member
Aug 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking
I’m not particularly looking for an argument, but nor am I prepared to just accept a bald statement that doesn’t make any sense to me. Hence the request for more information. If this is supposedly a ‘rule’ then it has to be made publicly available so that we can follow it.

There are a number of posters on Facebook who will post what they regard as the ‘rules’, but they always fail to provide any evidence to back up their claims. Interestingly, most of them are drawbridge expats. MotorhomeFun has a fine tradition of not just meekly accepting what we are told but asking questions to get to the truth of the matter. Let’s keep it that way.
I think what the original poster means is that if you have acquired an EU pet passport in France, when you are not resident, as it is a legal requirement for all dogs to be registered on I-cad. My vet certainly would not issue a pet passport without proof of residency or our dogs being icad registered.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
As obviously the OP doesn't want to give her vet's details then I'm going to phone different vets especially in Britany but also in other parts of France and see what they tell me. I haven't got a dog anymore but I want to make sure, and I don't think this is something offensive, that pets owners are not being taken for easy targets.
This is highly annoying me. I'll make a few searches to see who can give me a proper information.
As far as I'm concerned, end of discussion. I will give the results to Maz by PM so she can relay what I found.

Good night all!
Amicalement
Frankie
Hi Frankie
I don't know if you have got anywhere yet, but this may be a good place to ask.
The vet at La Mailleraye has a large English tourist cliental, and has taken the trouble to post a notice in their reception regarding issuing pet passports, although I haven't read it personally However they are only a small branch office. They are part of the Mon Veto group of over 130 vets. they offer a contact page at
https://www.veterinaire-monveto.com/contact/
where one of the options is to contact their head office. Whether they will let you have the information maz would like I don't know, but they should certainty have it. I think the phone number of head office is 02 35 63 89 08
In addition to Maz's questions, I'd like confirmation that French vets are allowed to make entries into non French EU passports. For example my dogs have Greek and Belgium passports.
I do realise that you are busy these days, but I'm sure there's a lot of forum members that would like a definitive answer to these questions

Many thanks

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I think what the original poster means is that if you have acquired an EU pet passport in France, when you are not resident, as it is a legal requirement for all dogs to be registered on I-cad. My vet certainly would not issue a pet passport without proof of residency or our dogs being icad registered.
Interesting first post - but it is only a legal requirement for dogs to be registered on I-cad if they are going to be in France for more than 3 months. The actual EU law that governs pet travel documents is 576/2013 which has no requirement for residency in order to obtain or use an EU pet passport. Individual countries may impose their own conditions for the issue of pet passports (for example, in Italy you can only obtain them through the ASL office and will need an Italian address although you don’t have to be an Italian resident). From all our investigations there is no actual ‘law’ in France that restricts the issue of pet passports to residents. The only item that gets constantly quoted as ‘law’ when it is no such thing is the ‘Brexit statement’ on the I-cad website. We contacted I-cad about this statement which you can read about in the following thread:

I-cad - What’s it all about?

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi!
Ok! I'll put an alarm on my phone, as yes, as you said it's new school year, for the little ones as well as for the stadium I'm looking after, therefore, I'm very busy. But I'll try to find the best moment (Peaceful that is lol!) to give them a call, and try to have all the missing answers!
Please just put a like so I can find this thread without having to spend some precious time trying to find it!

I'll be back!;):LOL:

Amicalement
Frankie

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Frankie
I don't know if you have got anywhere yet, but this may be a good place to ask.
The vet at La Mailleraye has a large English tourist cliental, and has taken the trouble to post a notice in their reception regarding issuing pet passports, although I haven't read it personally However they are only a small branch office. They are part of the Mon Veto group of over 130 vets. they offer a contact page at
https://www.veterinaire-monveto.com/contact/
where one of the options is to contact their head office. Whether they will let you have the information maz would like I don't know, but they should certainty have it. I think the phone number of head office is 02 35 63 89 08
In addition to Maz's questions, I'd like confirmation that French vets are allowed to make entries into non French EU passports. For example my dogs have Greek and Belgium passports.
I do realise that you are busy these days, but I'm sure there's a lot of forum members that would like a definitive answer to these questions

Many thanks
Hi Malcolm. I really don’t think you are going to find any directive anywhere that covers the OP’s assertion that French vets are not allowed to administer tapeworm treatment to dogs with French pet passports but no I-cad registration. You may find the odd vet who thinks this should be the case but it doesn’t make it law. Vets, like everyone else, will no doubt have their own views on Brexit and what Brits should or shouldn’t be allowed to ‘get away with’. In law, Brits who have obtained EU pet passports are not ‘getting away‘ with anything - they are complying with EU requirements and regulations.

Any EU vet can record tapeworm treatment in any EU pet passport. Hell’s bells, even British vets are allowed to record tapeworm treatment in an EU pet passport! :Smile:

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi!
Ok! I'll put an alarm on my phone, as yes, as you said it's new school year, for the little ones as well as for the stadium I'm looking after, therefore, I'm very busy. But I'll try to find the best moment (Peaceful that is lol!) to give them a call, and try to have all the missing answers!
Please just put a like so I can find this thread without having to spend some precious time trying to find it!

I'll be back!;):LOL:

Amicalement
Frankie
Hi Frankie. As always, you are prepared to put yourself out to help - you are an angel. :Smile: But I don’t like to think of you wasting your very limited free time searching for something that doesn’t exist. The OP never troubled to come back with any useful information and instead threw their toys out of the pram!:RollEyes:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie. As always, you are prepared to put yourself out to help - you are an angel. :Smile: But I don’t like to think of you wasting your very limited free time searching for something that doesn’t exist. The OP never troubled to come back with any useful information and instead threw their toys out of the pram!:RollEyes:
Very nice of you to let me know. My free (little) time is happily at your service. I will have a better read at the OP to start with, and see if anything can be done...or not!
I also have an ex-funster helping me with everything she can find on the matter. Once I have all in hands, I will be able to give you a clearer answer... IF any!!! ;)
:giggle:

• HeartHug
Reactions: maz
Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
The Mailleraye vets when we inquired there gave us a bit of paper with two stage process.
First dog had to be registered to ICAD. Was low cost for this I recall.
Second on having received confirmation of ICAD registration, they would provide the passport (assuming all other stuff ok)

cocolux

Free Member
Aug 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking
Interesting first post - but it is only a legal requirement for dogs to be registered on I-cad if they are going to be in France for more than 3 months. The actual EU law that governs pet travel documents is 576/2013 which has no requirement for residency in order to obtain or use an EU pet passport. Individual countries may impose their own conditions for the issue of pet passports (for example, in Italy you can only obtain them through the ASL office and will need an Italian address although you don’t have to be an Italian resident). From all our investigations there is no actual ‘law’ in France that restricts the issue of pet passports to residents. The only item that gets constantly quoted as ‘law’ when it is no such thing is the ‘Brexit statement’ on the I-cad website. We contacted I-cad about this statement which you can read about in the following thread:

That is the general rule, but each country has its own rules. To be able to obtain a PP in France you need to have an address and be icad registered. You can be registered on icad if your stay is over three months, but as most people will be following the 90/180 rule, unless they have a visa this doesn’t apply. France has started to crack down on people that are non-resident obtaining Pet passports.

cocolux

Free Member
Aug 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That is the general rule, but each country has its own rules. To be able to obtain a PP in France you need to have an address and be icad registered. You can be registered on icad if your stay is over three months, but as most people will be following the 90/180 rule, unless they have a visa this doesn’t apply. France has started to crack down on people that are non-resident obtaining Pet passports.
Your dog can actually be registered on I-cad if your stay is less than 3 months, should you choose to do so. The legal requirement is that you must register your dog on I-cad if your stay is over 3 months. The wording on the I-cad website is sloppy and unclear, hence the odd interpretations that keep occurring.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That site, schengenvisainfo.com, is not an official site and is as guilty of sloppy and ill-informed reporting as most others.

Check out their legal disclaimer:

CCF467DD-0171-4DBF-87D2-4402475F452A.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back