iBoost Network Name and New Password? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes I think you can but most MiFi units can cope with multiple device connections so it wouldn't benefit you unless you wanted to connect something to the MiFi that didn't have wireless capability.

Was thinking more on the lines of would it make your connection stronger :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Was thinking more on the lines of would it make your connection stronger :)

No it wouldn't.

A MiFi is basically a very simple mobile phone. The iBoost might boost the device connection side of it if you really needed to but it would have no effect on the mobile data signal it receives.

You can get an external antenna for some MiFi devices, something like this https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-mimo-window-mount-antenna/

I've got one of those and have had some success - turning a 3g signal into 4g, a weak 2g signal into 3g and even once or twice turning no signal into a weak but usable one.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There were 2 reasons they could identify it was me, one they could see the iBoost stickers and 2 could pick up the signal that showed up as SSID iBoost_2F0C7.

It was probably neither of these things which identified you as using a WiFi booster. Every network device has a MAC address (serial number if you will) which can be reverse looked up in order to identify the device that is connected to the network. I'm only aware of 2 campsites with this policy. I will reply to the e-mail you sent me earlier this evening rather than publicly identify them as a previous campsite with this policy is now one of our biggest refers of off-peak iBoost sales to Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Whoa when did I denigrate the product ?
I merely asked if I could and said I would prefer to have my own name for the device and password o_O

Apologies Silver-fox, the second poster that I'd intended to tag was Grommet who'd indicated that he would no longer recommend them.

My mistake. Apologies once again.

Ian

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I have an iboost, I have a mifi, I have no idea what you're all talking about, I have a MAC for when it rains and a Map to get where I'm going and sometimes when tired I'm a bit WAN, as for SSID, that bar steward got me into buying shares!!:rolleyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
the second poster that I'd intended to tag was Grommet who'd indicated that he would no longer recommend them.
I have been recommending the iBoost for quite some years as it is an excellent product. I am still using mine and am currently connected using it. I choose not to recommend for the moment because it is now missing a basic feature. If/when Adam restores this feature I will go back to recommending it whole heartedly.

It is my choice who I recommend, and my recommendations reflect on me. If I was to recommend this product and then someone was to find that they missed the change password feature it is me and my reputation that would be affected.

I was one of the very early customers for the iBoost. In fact I have the emails where I am pestering him to give me a price because I wanted a product he was working on at the time going back 5 years. He is a good guy and I am sure he will resolve this niggle in good order.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@DBK @NickNic
I used iboost and Fon several times in France no problem. There are lots of fons around.
If you are struggling to find one then sometimes the utility app helps.

If like me you don't understand much French..When you log into the SFR page it's not the first username and password box you see. The link to connect via Fon is one of two at the very bottom of the first page.

We have also discovered we can be quite happy using the iboost tapping away and another van pulls in and weakens our signal. Time for it to then go on the roof.

Hope this helps someone :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Will mine is mounted 247 on the roof ( search for old post ) and I have used it without problem across EU and UK. I have changed the router to one that suits me and therefore changed my wifi ID displayed. I also did this on the orignal iBoost router which is easy, but not sure on the newest one as have not seen it, but would have thought easy enough.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think that having/buying a product that you've been very happy with and then YOUR needs change so then berate that product is not fair, it's like buying a Ford Focus and six months down the road you want to change it to a Ferrari.....

So go buy a Ferrari..... :cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think that having/buying a product that you've been very happy with and then YOUR needs change so then berate that product is not fair, it's like buying a Ford Focus and six months down the road you want to change it to a Ferrari.....

No that is not correct. The product I bought is fantastic and works a treat. I have recommended it based on this. However new versions of the same product are missing a feature that is in my version. I have not lost this feature. This feature for me is an essential and as such I can't recommend it any more.

Sorry, not sure what point you were trying to make there?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@DBK @NickNic
I used iboost and Fon several times in France no problem. There are lots of fons around.
If you are struggling to find one then sometimes the utility app helps.

If like me you don't understand much French..When you log into the SFR page it's not the first username and password box you see. The link to connect via Fon is one of two at the very bottom of the first page.

We have also discovered we can be quite happy using the iboost tapping away and another van pulls in and weakens our signal. Time for it to then go on the roof.

Hope this helps someone :)

My French is OK thanks (y)

I don't use FON - I'm not a BT customer so don't have access - so I've never even seen the log in screen.

I was just taking about the amount of public or open WiFI networks in general, not FON specifically. (y)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

Point is it changed. The old router you could change ssid and password. So not our needs changed, rather the functions changed on new router!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Do not care what anyone says, we love our I Boost, just wish we could get onto SFR Fon in France with it, this remains an obsessive pastime at present wherever we park up. It really is no a problem as we are Orange customers so almost always get a connection, just hate being beaten by Fon.

I use a Solwise device not iBoost but a year or so ago it stoppoed working with Fon. The explanation was this:

"The usual symptom we hear is that all seems well and good when the connection is made, however the user cannot get access to the FON log on page as much as they try.
The reason for this is because the default gateway (the router that the FON service is using) has the same LAN IP address as the USB WiFi Router – this means that there is a clash of IP addresses... "

I have no idea wherher your device is suffering from a similar problem but it is possible because I think Fon had changed their LAN IP addresses. There was a fix but this was specific to Solwise but it involved assigning a new address to the device that was outside the Fon range.

Hope this helps because I too hate being defeated by wifi connections.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
No that is not correct. The product I bought is fantastic and works a treat. I have recommended it based on this. However new versions of the same product are missing a feature that is in my version. I have not lost this feature. This feature for me is an essential and as such I can't recommend it any more.

Sorry, not sure what point you were trying to make there?

Point is it changed. The old router you could change ssid and password. So not our needs changed, rather the functions changed on new router!

Ahh that explains it, it seems I missed this bit....:notworthy2:

I choose not to recommend for the moment because it is now missing a basic feature. If/when Adam restores this feature I will go back to recommending it whole heartedly

Too much Moselle sun and Riesling I think...:sun::beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
For those BT customers who cannot log on to FON in France your problem may be the user name and password that you are using.
I am a BT Infinity 1 customer who has changed my user name (email address) and password for UK access to my BT accounts etc. here in the UK which work perfectly with FON access here, however outside the UK I have to use my default BT email address and password to gain access to FON routers.

Rod

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Still using my Iboost extremely happily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back