iBoost Network Name and New Password? (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Struggling to find any infomation on how to change the network name of my device for connecting and the password.
Still stuck as iBoost5 and the password on the box.
Would anyone have an idea?
Tried a quick search and google. Even tried the website, might be missing something.
Thanks

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I believe you can't change them...... I think I remember a thread that said about not giving your password to anyone on a site as then you'll have all your neighbors on it.....:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It depends if you have an old one or a new one. I believe new ones you can't change the username or password.

Because of this I won't be recommending the iBoost anymore...

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It's a fairly new one I purchased fro bob the bass

Just like it personalised We name our MoHo' s so it just follows to name our wifi

Thanks for the replies I'll finish off my hidden cable runs then

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I boost in and cables hidden In cupboards
First ones left long in case the unit goes out through window (y)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 83

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@Silver-Fox , @Munchie

Is the inability to rename it as big a deal as to denigrate the product to others?

I'd have thought the capability of the device to pick up signals would be a reason to recommend/ not recommend it to others.

In that respect, are you pleased with it?

Ian

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Silver-Fox , @Munchie

Is the inability to rename it as big a deal as to denigrate the product to others?

I'd have thought the capability of the device to pick up signals would be a reason to recommend/ not recommend it to others.

Ian
It's the ability to change the password that makes this a problem. Not being able to change the SSID is a minor issue but still causes problems for some people.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not being able to change the SSID on an iBoost is a niggle, but denied the ability to change the router password is ridiculous.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a vaguely related note, I've been playing with my homemade version of an iBoost on a site in France this weekend. It uses the same Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 as the current iBoost seems to use and the original MikroTik router, which they now seemed to have moved away from.
Interestingly, it didn't work trying to download a radio programme from the BBC iPlayer radio app. I thought at first they had introduced geographical restrictions as they have for TV but using a MiFi I could connect and it worked fine.
Then I tried Tunnel Bear VPN and this didn't work. I thought it was the "iBoost" but connecting directly to the camp WiFi didn't work either. From the error message it seemed Tunnel Bear didn't like the open camp network, so that was the problem, not the booster.
But other than that it worked fine for general web use.
I can only think they've perhaps disabled the options to change things to stop users messing up the settings.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It uses the same Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 as the current iBoost seems to use and the original MikroTik router, which they now seemed to have moved away from.
That is strange, I have one of the earlier iBoosts and it uses a TP-Link TL-WR720N router alongise the Ubiqiti nano M2. I am in the process of scrapping the TP Link and replacing it with a MikroTik Router, The one I bought is this one An excellent small form factor router with built in USB (for 3G/4G) Power over ethernet is built in plus so many software features it has me scratching my head :D

Did iBoost move over to Mikrotik routers then? Do you know what model they use now?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can count on one hand the number of people who have contacted us so far this year with regards to changing the default SSID and password for the iBoost system, however when one of those people is a prominent forum owner @Jim then that request carries with it some weight and influence and we have to think about if we've got it right.

If it's ever an issue we offer to change the SSID/Password free of charge on the Micro Router systems. To be clear, it is not that we are actively seeking out the means of 'preventing' users from changing passwords, it's that there is no easy way to do this that isn't fraught with risk and asking users to enter commands into a Telnet screen or asking users to trawl through a 'matrix' of settings.

A byproduct of this is it was not possible for a user to make this change, however it did provide us with an opportunity to reduce our support time in assisting in the recovery of lost passwords.

I feel we could have been more pro-active in making this feature available again on a request basis. I can appreciate there are some circumstances where the ability to change the password in the field might be advantageous. Therefore, we are hopefully making available a simple windows based application to allow users to change the SSID and Password on the iBoost as required. I appreciate this might not be ideal for those who don't have access to a windows laptop, but the option to return the router to us would still be an option.

This application will be double entry with a prompt to make a note and so will hopefully avoid the #1 support request for the earlier iBoost models, which is and continues to be assisting users in recovering changed default passwords.

Motorhome WiFi is a small business and we need your feedback, constructive or otherwise, to ensure we are meeting your needs and expectations of our products. Please feel free to contact us via www.motorhomewifi.com/contact-us/ if you require any assistance with our products.

@Silver-Fox - if your SSID is iBoost5 you have an iBoost V2 - the details for accessing the router interface is on the reverse of the router. You can find the SSID under the Wireless tab.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nice one @Addie, still not ideal having to phone you if away on the continent but still better.

If you have indeed moved over to the MikroTik routers then I can kind of understand you wanting to prevent access as it is a monster router as far as software is concerned if the mAP uses the same software as in the RB951Ui-2nD model I bought.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That is strange, I have one of the earlier iBoosts and it uses a TP-Link TL-WR720N router alongise the Ubiqiti nano M2. I am in the process of scrapping the TP Link and replacing it with a MikroTik Router, The one I bought is this one An excellent small form factor router with built in USB (for 3G/4G) Power over ethernet is built in plus so many software features it has me scratching my head :D

Did iBoost move over to Mikrotik routers then? Do you know what model they use now?
The one I'm using is this one, (link below) which I believe they used for some time but it isn't the same as the one lurking in a wardrobe shown in the picture above. I think this model is now discontinued.
Like the nanostation it can be configured in many ways so I can see why you wouldn't want users to have access to the setup pages.

https://www.mikrotik-store.eu/en/map-2n

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Silver-Fox , @Munchie

Ian

Whoa when did I denigrate the product ?
I merely asked if I could and said I would prefer to have my own name for the device and password o_O

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Addie thanks for the reply.
Most of what you said sailed straight over my head :)

I will need my IT department ( my son) to look into the issue and see what he can do (y)

Cheers

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't understand the complexity of routers; I do understand that it's technical and fraught with the danger of turning the router into a paperweight if you get settings wrong. But, I must have owned 30 routers, every single one of them has a simple interface that allows you to change the password; so we can be forgiven for asking why this is not so on the iboost.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I must be one of theose handful who have asked to change the iBoost SSID in the past. Like Jim, I believe that router interface software isn't beyond the ability of ordinary mortals and I ask myself whether the facility could be included in the iBoost software interface already available.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I must be one of theose handful who have asked to change the iBoost SSID in the past. Like Jim, I believe that router interface software isn't beyond the ability of ordinary mortals and I ask myself whether the facility could be included in the iBoost software interface already available.
The thing isn't like a typical domestic router which is designed to do just one job. Also, in my setup, once configured I can no longer access it as the network runs straight through to the Nanostation aerial, the router being effectively invisible. The only way to change anything is to do a factory reset and then start again. I guess it could be set up another way - I might have a play some time. :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The thing isn't like a typical domestic router which is designed to do just one job. Also, in my setup, once configured I can no longer access it as the network runs straight through to the Nanostation aerial, the router being effectively invisible. The only way to change anything is to do a factory reset and then start again. I guess it could be set up another way - I might have a play some time. :)

I totally agree with the Mikrotik OS being beyond the home user. It is a monster. It is an enterprise level OS on a consumer priced device.

In my configuration I have access to the Mikrotik even in full router mode. However I am not using the mAP I am using one of the larger ones with 5 network ports. I have 3 ports configured as a bridge which I connect my computer to. This interface can access the onboard software interface. I then configure the other two ports as WAN ports one with PoE and one without. These are then routed to the switch. I also route the 2 WLAN ports to the switch as well. Its fun.

I am a bit wary about some of the changes I need to make as I don't want to break my old iBoost. So I will probably be ordering a Nano M2 and a Nano M5 to play with.

Reactions: DBK

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Do not care what anyone says, we love our I Boost, just wish we could get onto SFR Fon in France with it, this remains an obsessive pastime at present wherever we park up. It really is no a problem as we are Orange customers so almost always get a connection, just hate being beaten by Fon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do not care what anyone says, we love our I Boost, just wish we could get onto SFR Fon in France with it, this remains an obsessive pastime at present wherever we park up. It really is no a problem as we are Orange customers so almost always get a connection, just hate being beaten by Fon.
I finally managed to get the BT Wifi app to work on my phone in the UK but I've not had much luck with it today when I tried it in France. Initially it thought I was on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall. After a bit of poking it seems to have grudgingly accepted I'm in France - but says the nearest hotshots to me are in the Channel Islands. :)
More poking required. The app says it should work with Fon but clearly it isn't foolproof. :)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I also suffered the indignity of being told I could not use my iBoost on a site because I would monopolise all the WiFi signal. I thought that was a load of b******s but that is what they thought.
There were 2 reasons they could identify it was me, one they could see the iBoost stickers and 2 could pick up the signal that showed up as SSID iBoost_2F0C7.
I therefore removed the stickers so no one could see it was an iBoost system but was unable to find any way of changing the SSID
So Addie when and how are we going to be offered the option of changing the SSID?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I finally managed to get the BT Wifi app to work on my phone in the UK but I've not had much luck with it today when I tried it in France. Initially it thought I was on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall. After a bit of poking it seems to have grudgingly accepted I'm in France - but says the nearest hotshots to me are in the Channel Islands. :)
More poking required. The app says it should work with Fon but clearly it isn't foolproof. :)

I think they very much overstate just how widespread the FON network really is.

We've not had much success with WiFi in Europe apart from on sites. I think it's that there just aren't that many open or public networks like there are here.

We tend to just use the iBoost in the UK or on the odd occasion we're on a site abroad. The rest of the time abroad we just use our phones or a MiFi.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Curious question can you use the boost in conjunction with a mini unit

So log the i boost onto the mifi ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Curious question can you use the boost in conjunction with a mini unit

So log the i boost onto the mifi ?

Yes I think you can but most MiFi units can cope with multiple device connections so it wouldn't benefit you unless you wanted to connect something to the MiFi that didn't have wireless capability.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back