iBoost & effect on other users (1 Viewer)

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Getting too technical now guys....dummies terms please.

I will try.
Will a boost system take up more bandwidth than a non-boost connection? No

Will a boost system provide faster download speeds? Maybe
If you are at a distance where you are experiencing data loss then you may see better throughput through a boost. However the tablet, PC, phone you are using to connect with will also have a huge say with the speed of your on-line experience. Additionally you sometimes find the longer you are connected the slower your connection will become. This is how some networks in the UK are set up, let the punters think this is really fast when they connect and them send them down the pecking order when new connections arrive.

Can Campsites, WiFi hotspots,etc see if you are using a boost and block you? Yes
A lot of WiFi providers use Ubiquiti Networks to provide the service. iBoost is a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 with a sticker on it. This will show up on their management software as a Ubiquiti client. Currently this is a rare event, we have been blocked twice in Spain and once in Greece.

What is 5G and 2.4G?
This is the bandwidth the signal is being broadcast over. Normally 5G is used within buildings but we have seen two campsites using it. The reason is to sell you a system and stop you using boost systems. I doubt this idea will catch on.

Shall i buy a boost system? Depends.
If you primarily stay on campsites then probably yes. But i wouldn't spend much money on one. The reasons are you will be mostly connecting to slow, non-secure networks. You should never use one to transfer any private data over. Cellular is the way forward if you tend to move around and not stay on campsites. Mobile phone service is far superior once you leave the UK. We normally now connect to 4G and only in remote places does that drop to 3G. You will get a shed load of fast, secure data for the money you pay for a boost system. Also if you have to keep buying coffee to get passwords then you must factor that into your costs.

A Huawei E5372 MiFi does both. It is a router that connects to 4G and Wifi and so covers both bases. You can also add an external aerial to it to extend the range. it is not as good as a boost on Wifi but it is not bad. On Cellular it connects at up to 150mb, that is 50x faster than most campsite WiFi.

If you plan to buy a boost then look for a Ubiquiti nanostation Loco M2. Should not be more than about £40. This is used by every RV owner in the US, every leisure sailor around the world. If you do this set the country to United States and it will have twice the power of other boost systems. it might make your hair fall out and fry children from a 100 yards but it will allow to connect to systems a lot further away. You could also try a bear extender, especially if you are a Mac user.

Hope this helps

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Please can you explain why?
Because In the EU we have power limits. Basically to stop 'leakage'. The US does not impose these limits on their equipment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you do this set the country to United States and it will have twice the power of other boost systems. it might make your hair fall out and fry children from a 100 yards but it will allow to connect to systems a lot further away.
This will increase the potential transmit range of your iBoost, but it won't do anything to increase the range of the station that you are connected too. The transmitter that you are connected to will (probably) be set to the EU standards. An internet connection is a two way thing - increasing your transmit power just ensures that the limiting factor is the strength of the signal coming from the other station, rather than your signal back to them.

If you are the sort that worries about electromagnetic radiation, then if you do turn the power up, make sure the antenna is up on the roof & don't stand in front of it! :D

I don't really know, but I suspect the regulations are more to do with interference than likely dangers. Shame really - there are days when fried children can sound like a positive benefit. (y)

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
This will increase the potential transmit range of your iBoost, but it won't do anything to increase the range of the station that you are connected too. The transmitter that you are connected to will (probably) be set to the EU standards. An internet connection is a two way thing - increasing your transmit power just ensures that the limiting factor is the strength of the signal coming from the other station, rather than your signal back to them.

If you are the sort that worries about electromagnetic radiation, then if you do turn the power up, make sure the antenna is up on the roof & don't stand in front of it! :D

I don't really know, but I suspect the regulations are more to do with interference than likely dangers. Shame really - there are days when fried children can sound like a positive benefit. (y)
But it does allow to see stations further away. Yea it is to do with leakage. I have seen a system installed at a well known airport to the west of London that colmpletely took out the Bluetooth system used for tracking passengers.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Eamless, enjoyed your post and intrigued by the line below:

A Huawei E5372 MiFi does both. It is a router that connects to 4G and Wifi and so covers both bases.

I have two boxes one is a Mifi unit (netgear aircard) with external aerial that connects to 3/4G and creates Wifi hotspot in the van, the other is an Wifi Router (Alfa R36) with an external aerial that connects to a local Wifi point and creates Wifi hotspot in the van. So 2 boxes one for Mobile and one for Wifi, it would be great to just have one box and therefore one admin interface. Is this what you meant/have?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So 2 boxes one for Mobile and one for Wifi, it would be great to just have one box and therefore one admin interface.

The Huawei E5372 or E5577 as it is now has a 'WiFi repeater' functionality. It's not technically a booster, since neither of the two external antenna tracks are associated with the WiFi part of the card but are instead used for a MIMO 4G antenna for the cellular side. Incidentally the 'WLAN mode' being turned on for older models will disable the 3/4G connection - the newer devices (E5577 onwards) won't do this so if your device stops working after playing with this function watch out for this.

You'll likely have 5 bars because you'll be sat right on top of the device, but the unit itself probably won't afford a much better connection to the WiFi source then your laptop will. It's useful for bridging a gap or if you have a device eg a tablet with very poor WiFi performance (eg, WiFi is great outside the van, but poor inside - put it outside in a Tupperware box or right in a window) and allowing a multiple users off a single login if the signal is strong but your Alfa R36 and presumably external USB WiFi antenna will probably do a better job, especially as this is two radios (one local, one remote) rather than one (Huawei - one radio, both broadcasting locally and connecting remotely). Sometimes this is 'just enough' but as Eamless says it's not as a good as a booster like that one you have already.

Adam

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I have two boxes one is a Mifi unit (netgear aircard) with external aerial that connects to 3/4G and creates Wifi hotspot in the van, the other is an Wifi Router (Alfa R36) with an external aerial that connects to a local Wifi point and creates Wifi hotspot in the van. So 2 boxes one for Mobile and one for Wifi, it would be great to just have one box and therefore one admin interface. Is this what you meant/have?
You have got one that will do both, you can plug a 3G dongle straight into the R36, obviously no external aerial but a long USB cable and put the dongle on or above the roof improves the signal.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yup, one reason we bought in the first place but after trying the R36 and a Mobile USB dongle, it did work but not simple, had problems with firmware and dongle compatibility. The netgear is really easy to use, battery lasts for ages, 2 aerial ports good reception, excellent little device. The R36 with USB Wifi and a good Aerial is also terrific.

But, been 2 years now, so ideally I would like to replace the R36 with something with a better admin interface, but still allows the attachment of a external aerials and maybe 3/4G.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
But, been 2 years now, so ideally I would like to replace the R36 with something with a better admin interface, but still allows the attachment of a external aerials and maybe 3/4G.

If you have the Netgear Aircard 762s onwards then you can download a free app for Apple/Android which makes the admin interface a bit easier to use as its not particularly intuitive.

Huawei really have cornered the market in device usability if you get a factory unlocked model rather than previously network locked. Their stock interface and Huawei HiLink smartphone app really is great for understanding what the device is doing and making any configuration changes.

The E5372 or its replacement the E5577 both have TS9 antenna connections like your Netgear, I would avoid the E5377 as it has CRC9 antenna connections which are a bit more fragile.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes I like the Huawei kit and the Netgear app is ok, though the netgear is so easy to use once setup no admin is needed, just put the SIM in and switch on. The Alfa R36 is the hassle dated interface, bit slow and tricky to use on a phone, all works fine and therefore no rush. Will have to swing by your stall @Addie one day to see what the new stuff all looks like. :)

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The Huawei E5372 or E5577 as it is now has a 'WiFi repeater' functionality. It's not technically a booster, since neither of the two external antenna tracks are associated with the WiFi part of the card but are instead used for a MIMO 4G antenna for the cellular side. Incidentally the 'WLAN mode' being turned on for older models will disable the 3/4G connection - the newer devices (E5577 onwards) won't do this so if your device stops working after playing with this function watch out for this.

You'll likely have 5 bars because you'll be sat right on top of the device, but the unit itself probably won't afford a much better connection to the WiFi source then your laptop will. It's useful for bridging a gap or if you have a device eg a tablet with very poor WiFi performance (eg, WiFi is great outside the van, but poor inside - put it outside in a Tupperware box or right in a window) and allowing a multiple users off a single login if the signal is strong but your Alfa R36 and presumably external USB WiFi antenna will probably do a better job, especially as this is two radios (one local, one remote) rather than one (Huawei - one radio, both broadcasting locally and connecting remotely). Sometimes this is 'just enough' but as Eamless says it's not as a good as a booster like that one you have already.

Adam
I disagree. I have been using this for two years thoughout Europe

Unfortunately I run two boxes, Ubiquiti for WiFi and the Huawei for cellular. However, I sometimes put the Huawei in a tupperware box and tin foil behind it and it works in most cases on the rare occasion I might go to a campsite.
I prefer to be on a cellular connection at all times but some countries like Portugal make it rather expensive so I might drop to a boost system.
So the boost system is now becoming more and more of a back-up item. That is the reason not to spend a great deal of money on one. Spend your money on the data.
Many years ago when I started in IT I worked out hardware was a commodity. So I concentrated on the software. I then worked out that was a commodity and concentrated on what people want. And what people want is cheap, fast, secure internet connection. Whatever its current failing Cellular is the only solution that will ever provide that.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I keep thinking, yep I get it, then someone adds another comment and I'm flummoxed again :(

Here's what we've got - I have a Sony phone with a 3 contract SIM, I also have a Lenovo tablet. Brian has a Samsung phone and a laptop. We also have a Huawei E5372 with a 3 contract SIM. No boost, no external aerial, no iphones or iPads.

We stay on a mixture of Aires/sites. We're currently in Spain and my phone can't be used as a hotspot.

We're struggling to get a decent signal with either 3/4G or WiFi provided by campsite (free or charged). Whichever device we try we're lucky if we can comfortably browse a few web pages. Invariably we give up.

So what extra kit might help us to achieve a reasonably reliable connection? This may have been covered above but I can't pick out the bones! Thanks.

Karen

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
You have 4 choices:
1. Get an external LTE MIMO aerial for the huawei. £30. This will greatly improve reception.
2. Get a replacement sim for the huawei with someone with better coverage in Spain. Only possible if huawei unlocked. £?
3. Go to cafes and bars. £?
4. Buy an extender. You can go from £40 for an Alfa or nanostation loco m2 up to a lot of money for a nanostation with a sticker on. This solution will only allow you to access these slow hotspots from a greater distance.

Personally if you have a cellular contract go for option 1.
If you mostly use campsites go for option 4 and buy a ubiquiti nanostation loco M2 or something similarly priced.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks @Eamless I get it. I really do!

Options 2 and 3 aren't feasible so we'll go for 1 and see how we get on.

Thanks again for your clear replies.

Karen

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks @Eamless I get it. I really do!

Options 2 and 3 aren't feasible so we'll go for 1 and see how we get on.

Thanks again for your clear replies.

Karen
If anyone has or is considering getting a MiFi then make sure it supports an external LTE MIMO aerial otherwise you are just wasting your money unless you are always less than 500m away from an antennae.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I keep thinking, yep I get it, then someone adds another comment and I'm flummoxed again :(

Here's what we've got - I have a Sony phone with a 3 contract SIM, I also have a Lenovo tablet. Brian has a Samsung phone and a laptop. We also have a Huawei E5372 with a 3 contract SIM. No boost, no external aerial, no iphones or iPads.

We stay on a mixture of Aires/sites. We're currently in Spain and my phone can't be used as a hotspot.

We're struggling to get a decent signal with either 3/4G or WiFi provided by campsite (free or charged). Whichever device we try we're lucky if we can comfortably browse a few web pages. Invariably we give up.

So what extra kit might help us to achieve a reasonably reliable connection? This may have been covered above but I can't pick out the bones! Thanks.

Karen
As @Eamless says, an external aerial can make a big difference. I've just got the 5377 MiFi, a few years old now and with the fragile antenna connector but even a cheapo £10 antenna can make the difference between a signal and no signal or 3g instead of 2g.

Having a different sim helps too. I use Three in the MiFi as the default but if it can't get a signal then I take the sim out of my O2 phone and try that. It does incur a charge of £1.99 per day I use it overseas but if I need to connect then this isn't extortionate for a few days a month.

Unfortunately, I also had a Vodaphone Europa sim as a third option but got caught out by the not topping up for a year rule and now it's died!

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
If anyone has or is considering getting a MiFi then make sure it supports an external LTE MIMO aerial otherwise you are just wasting your money unless you are always less than 500m away from an antennae.

Brian doesn't think our E5372 has a port for an external aerial.......doh! Just bought it as a solution for Europe, or so we thought.

Karen

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Brian doesn't think our E5372 has a port for an external aerial.......doh! Just bought it as a solution for Europe, or so we thought.

Karen
It should have two connectors, little round things. If it doesn't you've got a duff one! And Europe is where you need the external antenna especially if you are stopping outside built up areas, such as sites or aires by the coast.

Bandybash

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
Since 2014
Best solution I have found to be the MIFI, get an unlocked prepaid one do you can use local data SIM cards abroad. Contract EE & 3 are no good as you have to keep buying data addons to get better speed whilst roaming, and their websites and customer services are pants. I use EE in UK but never top up I just buy a new sim, it's easier. I will use an EE card short term say when transiting France for Spain, then you can just text to buy data so I make sure there is some credit on it before I leave UK, then buy a local sim on arrival at destination country. That bandwidth problems are a thing of the past?

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
It should have two connectors, little round things. If it doesn't you've got a duff one.

We've just had a mini domestic and after swearing black is blue, he's found them LOL

So next step is buy an antenna

Karen

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've just had a mini domestic and after swearing black is blue, he's found them LOL

So next step is buy an antenna

Karen
You want a 4g MIMO one, it will have two cables. Something like this but there is a wide choice, including ones you mount permanently on the roof.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
As a PS to this thread, we started putting our Huawei mifi on top of the blind under our skylight (inside the van) and getting much better signal.
We wouldn't have thought of that if not for reading some of these comments so.......thanks.

Karen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back