Iboost & BT roving BB (UK) good experience (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So far with this combo (being a BT customer again) I have got fast broadband everywhere we have camped in Scotland. Definately would recommend BT's roving BB acessibility should be part of your provider consideration if you move about a lot! iboost is working competently on the end of my 2.7 meter squegee pole !
(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So far with this combo (being a BT customer again) I have got fast broadband everywhere we have camped in Scotland. Definately would recommend BT's roving BB acessibility should be part of your provider consideration if you move about a lot! iboost is working competently on the end of my 2.7 meter squegee pole !
(y)
Bt in U.K. Fine, but it's not fon, this is in europe

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Wasn't in any way being critical, as we have also found bt fine in U.K. But recent threads on here were on about fon and that's a different thing(y):)
Never tried fon in Europe as I was a Virgin customer :sick:, but will give it a go next time.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
BT operate Fon in the UK. No idea why it proves more difficult to sign in abroad, having never tried it. I usually find a BT Fon when out and about using Solwise kit. In some of the remoter parts of Scotland I had to resort to Highland WiFi, which is ok but you have to pay for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does the BT wifi have the same retrictions as BT Fon?
I have been doing some experments due to my neighbour getting charged by BT for going over his data limit, came to the conclusion that he was being charged because someone else was using using a lot of data via his Fon.
Anyway what I found out is BT Fon severely limits download speed. It's limited to 30 kb/sec I tried several connections I could pick up, all the same speed where as if I connect to a non BT Fon I can get 2 - 3Mb/s.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am on a BT Fon right now getting a download of 5.8 mbs and upload of 7.5 mbps. They say it only uses the spare capacity of the hub and I find it can vary quite a lot. I also find it depends on the strength of the wifi connection, much over -75dBm and it starts to drop off. Not supposed to use the host Fon's personal allowance and all logged seperately so traceable to user not host.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I am a bt customer. Never heard of roving & cant find anything on google or BT about it either. Please explain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am on a BT Fon right now getting a download of 5.8 mbs and upload of 7.5 mbps. They say it only uses the spare capacity of the hub and I find it can vary quite a lot. I also find it depends on the strength of the wifi connection, much over -75dBm and it starts to drop off. Not supposed to use the host Fon's personal allowance and all logged seperately so traceable to user not host.
We actually proved it does get clocked on the hosts allowance, he made a point of restricing his useage for a day and I downloaded 4Gb via fon and the next day checked his useage guess what the 4 gb was looged on his useage. BT do not log it separately and he got nowhere and gave up after numerious phone calls and hours on the phone to them as soon as his contract is up he is ditiching his BT account. Doesn't matter if you have an unlimited account but his was 25GB.

Are you checking the speed on a speed tester or on actual downloads? I was checking using actual download speed and only getting 30Kb.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0665.PNG
I am a bt customer. Never heard of roving & cant find anything on google or BT about it either. Please explain.

We actually proved it does get clocked on the hosts allowance, he made a point of restricing his useage for a day and I downloaded 4Gb via fon and the next day checked his useage guess what the 4 gb was looged on his useage. BT do not log it separately and he got nowhere and gave up after numerious phone calls and hours on the phone to them as soon as his contract is up he is ditiching his BT account. Doesn't matter if you have an unlimited account but his was 25GB.

Are you checking the speed on a speed tester or on actual downloads? I was checking using actual download speed and only getting 30Kb.
If you go to App Store and download this , this will get you on to anyone's bt signal if they have opted in, nothing to do with fon though

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes I have the app it was the roving bit I'd never heard before.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

I cant imagine millions of BT BB users are going over their allowance because of the sharing scheme? Sounds like an exchange cock up ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
View attachment 172808

If you go to App Store and download this , this will get you on to anyone's bt signal if they have opted in, nothing to do with fon though

I think after a certain date you have no option but to share part of the hub to other infinity users.
I understood if you are using another's hub you only got to use part of the band width. Seems bizarre you are using another's allowance.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We actually proved it does get clocked on the hosts allowance, he made a point of restricing his useage for a day and I downloaded 4Gb via fon and the next day checked his useage guess what the 4 gb was looged on his useage.
That is very worrying. BT say it should not happen but clearly it can sometimes. This is also borne out by some posts on the BT community site, one of which says BT eventually admitted to the mistake.

Now I am guessing here but I would suspect that BT would have something in their Hub software to stop customers with download limits getting round them by using their own Fon, instead of logging in direct. Although Fon and Hub have different log in names they have very similar BSSIDs, just the first 2 digits seem to be different. Perhaps the Hub software could be checking to see if there has previously been a valid log in for the host Hub from the device and if there has been, counting the Fon download against the allowance. I know I am guessing but if I were specifying Hub software I would want to include something to stop customers getting round home use limits by using Fon.

On the matter of download speeds I am using an app called SpeedSmart.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back