I wish I knew this before making an insurance claim! (1 Viewer)

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Yes I hit someone up the backend when he took off at a roundabout and stopped all of a sudden ! My Suzuki super carry had no damage at all not even a broken light or number plate .When my insurance renewal came it had doubled from £240 to £490 and when I queried it with my insurance the car I hit claim came to £3500 I was shocked as no damage to my own vehicle .

Deleted User
Are you sure he wasnt working a fiddle? Suddenly slam brakes at roundabout for the car behind insurers to pay for that bad neck!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I drove over a watering can and wrote it off.
You you think I should've reported it?

I only have insurance where it's obligatory and cover the other risks myself.
I was well ahead until my 3yr-old car was vandalised beyond repair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015

Must have been some watering can ! To write off a 3 year old car !

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Are you sure he wasnt working a fiddle? Suddenly slam brakes at roundabout for the car behind insurers to pay for that bad neck!
Very likely couldn't see a mark on his vehicle either ! Vauxhall cars must be expensive to repair ? Perhaps he had it gold plated !

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

That wasn't a like for the car getting vandalised but I'm the same basic insurance I still recon over the years we must be thousands better off.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes I hit someone up the backend when he took off at a roundabout and stopped all of a sudden ! My Suzuki super carry had no damage at all not even a broken light or number plate .When my insurance renewal came it had doubled from £240 to £490 and when I queried it with my insurance the car I hit claim came to £3500 I was shocked as no damage to my own vehicle .
I had similar once reversed out of a parking spot as someone opposite reversed out as well. Didn't hear a thing about it until it was returned (it was a lease car) and they tried to claim about 2k with every dent on any panel listed. I spoke to my insurers they said they would handle it as clearly it was a try on never heard anything about it and it wasn't recorded as a claim I think they must have backed off. I think I was lucky.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
i view insurance as legalised extortion;)
I don't think the insurers have quite reached the level where they threaten to break your legs or smash your vehicle up if you DON'T take their protection ... yet! :unsure:

Steve

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Stealaway

Late last year whilst driving onto levelling ramps, both ramps on the same side, front and rear, the front driving wheel skidded on wet grass and the van slid sideways and off the ramp. Damaged front bumper and quote to fix was / and is £1800. I claimed on the insurance.

So this turns out to be a fault claim. Come to renew my car insurance, despite more than 40years without a claim / accident, the van claim affects my car policy and its loaded as I made a fault claim. Renew my Mrs insurance, that too is loaded because I made a claim. My daughters car, as a named driver, that was also loaded.

I now wish I paid for the insurance claim! This carries on for the next 5 years.
When you take into consideration the amount the insurance pay out even for a non fault claim, all it is is a loan, cos you're gonna be paying it back over the next 5 years, insurance is an absolute con that unfortunately we must succumb to....just sayin..

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When you take into consideration the amount the insurance pay out even for a non fault claim, all it is is a loan, cos you're gonna be paying it back over the next 5 years, insurance is an absolute con that unfortunately we must succumb to....just sayin..
Absolutely: You are paying for the collective damages and claims, and then some to cover the running of a company for profit.
Because of inflated claims, I don't bother covering my property, but take better care of it instead. Only get cover for something that would be a tragedy, not an inconvenience.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect if you have the really serious claim at fault against someone who is paralysed for life and is young you will never ever pay it back. On small claims of course it's a loan where's it coming from otherwise?

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Well my insurance covers my windscreen so when I had a chip (not greasy) I called the recommended company my insurer provided and had my free repair :cool: then at Renewal OMG :oops: they said i had an accident, I said NO they said YES and date and time to which my reply was it was a windscreen repair, still a claim so was hit for 5 years of larger premiums. After then always repaired my own screens.
The moral of the story is all insurance companies will Lie (mislead) & Cheat but will if required Pay when the worst happens.
P.S. I also pay a high excess premium so the total is less but if i need a repair will either do it my self or pay a local pro to do it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When a lad bumped into my tailgate, I agreed not to put it through insurance and sorted it out between us.
I'm now wondering if I was being dishonest by not reporting it (no injuries sustained, apart from pride).

If asked if I've been involved in any accidents previously, I could give them a whole string of events to filter through, starting with when I got married...
I wonder what the definition of an 'accident' is?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
When a lad bumped into my tailgate, I agreed not to put it through insurance and sorted it out between us.
I'm now wondering if I was being dishonest by not reporting it (no injuries sustained, apart from pride).

If asked if I've been involved in any accidents previously, I could give them a whole string of events to filter through, starting with when I got married...
I wonder what the definition of an 'accident' is?
I didn't have to ask anyone; my father told me ... ;) :LOL:

Steve

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

That’s why you need a camera in your car.

If the car in front deliberately brakes for no reason they can be held responsible.

It’s not how it used to be.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Well my insurance covers my windscreen so when I had a chip (not greasy) I called the recommended company my insurer provided and had my free repair :cool: then at Renewal OMG :oops: they said i had an accident, I said NO they said YES and date and time to which my reply was it was a windscreen repair, still a claim so was hit for 5 years of larger premiums. After then always repaired my own screens.
The moral of the story is all insurance companies will Lie (mislead) & Cheat but will if required Pay when the worst happens.
P.S. I also pay a high excess premium so the total is less but if i need a repair will either do it my self or pay a local pro to do it.
Apart from that their alright!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
should have gone to the ombudsmanas it isn't an accident
If asked if I've been involved in any accidents previously,
What is an accident? is an accident when you crash but have no damage to anything except your own vehicle & aren't bothered about it ? I don't think so nor ever reported them? 🤷‍♂️

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

What is an accident? is an accident when you crash but have no damage to anything except your own vehicle & aren't bothered about it ? I don't think so nor ever reported them? 🤷‍♂️
The Insurance companies have wised up to that one. The proposal questionnaire now asks whether you have been in an accident, even if there was no damage or didn't make a claim [not the precise form of words!] to enable them to price the risk more accurately [diplomatic language on my part!]

Steve

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

I think the word is claim not accident it's a no claims bonus.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think the word is claim not accident it's a no claims bonus.
which usually states does not apply to glass damage?
The proposal questionnaire now asks whether you have been in an accident, even if there was no damage or didn't make a claim [not the precise form of words!] to enable them to price the risk more accurately [diplomatic language on my part!]
It wasn't an accident .:giggle:

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
no surprise here. Large part of claim will be hire car whilst third party car is off the road. Add in the almost obligatory whiplash claim (although new rules will make it more difficult). Problem is claims management companies - no win, no fee - operate in an industry that has only voluntary regulation

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back