I will be getting a speed camara spotter today any recommendations (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I just have the satnav set to warn me if I am over the speed limit, I don't think its relevant whether there is a camera there or not.
Camera detectors are illegal in some places, even the GPS ones are illegal in France.
A word of caution, a lot of the speed limit database is out of date, since the limits are being reduced down almost daily. Also, if your unit accepts user updates, it is amazing how many people do not even have a vague grasp of the speed limits in the UK!
Coming off the M27 I noticed that a community update had adjusted the speed limit to 60 on the slip road! WRONG! Luckily wrong in the correct direction.
Conversely the speed limit through Four Marks in Hampshire was reduced from 40 to 30 several years ago now, but the community updates keep correcting this back to 40!

So my advice is, use the limit shown on sat nav by all means, but don't rely on this more than the trusty mark one eyeball! :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting thread, Just to-day I followed the local "Safety Camera" van. (plod`s piggy bank) He stuck to the limit, To the letter, 30mph. Sure enough, indicated 30, 40mph indicated 40, 50 mph Indicated 50. What they did not do was adjust their speed according to the traffic flow, nor did they back off when overtaking two cyclists. (nor give them as much space as I did.)

I would have loved to have followed them on an open road though. I suspect they would have been over the limit!. The standard of driving and observation of road hazard other than speed was (at best) poor!.

As for "detectors" a friend had one of the early ones, and was stopped once in Scotland and accused of using one (he had bunged it in the glove box when the Blues went on)!. so they let him off with a "verbal".

We had an "alcohol fuelled" discussion once on an ARVE rally, about the time the French decided that such thing where "illegal". One of the idea`s was to hide it in the Satelite dome!. With a "kill" switch out of sight. If stopped, a lot of shrugging and a suggestion that maybe Monsieur Gendarme, was picking up the T-V signal? or something else due to co-channel interference?:D:whistle:

I can though see why people might want one, Not everyone deliberately speeds, for instance we have a "Safety Camera van" habitually parked just beyond a particularly nasty staggered cross roads in a 30mph limit. Joining the main road, on a slight curve restricting vision, often is a case of wait for the gap and then boot the motor to make the traffic stream (or wait forever for a bigger gap). There are a number of people we know who have been"done" here just a few mph over, because as you enter the traffic stream you can be doing 35 but decelerating. However the "snap" has been taken in those instants when over the limit!. Its been pointed out to the Chief Constable on many occasions but said van is still regularly parked in that same spot, almost certainly because it gets a higher "hit rate" and of course more Income, moving it 100yards up the road would not produce the same income stream. AND After all IF you are watching the speedo you are MORE likely to miss the kid running from behind the parked vehicle than if you where watching the road!.

Pete

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Apparently :cautious:...
  • The first average speed cameras were installed in Nottingham... they were subsequently turned off because motorists were [naturally] observing the limit and the cameras weren't 'earning' enough revenue to cover the costs.
  • Insurance data shows that drivers with legal speed camera gadgets are less likely to have or cause accidents - presumably because they are more speed aware or don't slam on the anchors as they spot a (s)camera.
Whilst I don't intentionally speed, I find these gizmos very useful in avoiding being caught out by some of these cameras' sneakier locations - in my location, two cameras are just a few yards after the signs reducing speed from 60 to 40mph. Personally it keeps me a little more 'speed aware'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You want the one that detects, scrambles, jams & then locks on a fires miniature missiles.

Unfortunately it only works on camera vans.
Other cameras are radar or digital.
Bit stupid really as the operator is pointing the gun at you and the signal is jammed....bit of a giveaway you have a jammer.
& what is the problem ?

I haven't had a speeding fine since 2005. Before that I was collecting them regularly.

Just take your number plates off and plead ignorance when you are pulled over and blame it on the Romanian gangs(y)
I haven't had one since I was scammed in '73.
No plates, ÂŁ60 ,no points or endorsements & 7 days to rectify.

No I'm not, I'm in a nice comfortable chair which isn't slippery at all (y)

But just think how much that tax amount would have to rise otherwise John :D
No they should only be spending what is the ACTUAL "income ", not increasing taxes, fines & other scams so they can **** it all up like the scum they actually are.

Here to please Brian, yes I do have a sat nav built into the car, I also have a Tom Tom and a smart phone and a Samsung tablet, all with satnav and speed awareness. How does this shift the goal posts I wonder.....:)
Buy a proper car that you can order the detector/jammer as an option & comes built in .Just on/off buton on dash. Like the Porsche carrera used to.

There is a real oddity in the law as it stands
No number plate, ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ60 fine
False number plate, perverting justice and possible imprisonment !
You left out "No points/endorsement & 7 days to rectify":)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No they should only be spending what is the ACTUAL "income ", not increasing taxes, fines & other scams so they can **** it all up like the scum they actually are.
The point is that running any public organisation costs a given amount. That amount is made up of taxpayer funding less any other income. In this case part of that other income is legitimate speeding fines. The lower that is the higher the taxpayer funding needs to be and vice versa. Nothing to do with increasing fines at all.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Stick to the speed limits.. cheaper than a subscription... or .. follow a camera partnership van driven by a civilian staff member and you will be fine as far as speeding goes.
(n)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
MIO 618 DASH CAM AND CAMERA ALERTS FREE UPDATES FOR LIFE,

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You want the one that detects, scrambles, jams & then locks on a fires miniature missiles

Actual, reported incident. Just north of Berwick, where the A1 runs virtually on the coast, two constables where sat in their jam sandwich, pointing radar gun at various citizens recording their speeds (as they often do). Offshore, joint exercises where taking place with (I think the Dutch air force) and the RAF. And some "live" (dummies) firing onto an offshore target.

What is alleged to have happened is that one of the Aircraft`s "Anti" radar. Locked onto the radar gun, said device allegedly got hot, smoked a lot, and gave up the ghost! (fried big time). Had the dummy warhead locked on too. Two members of her majesties constabulary could well have been sat in a badly damaged vehicle, even with no "live" warhead they make a very large hole!.

I remember at the time, wondering how true it was?. Or another "Urban Myth"?.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Actual, reported incident. Just north of Berwick, where the A1 runs virtually on the coast, two constables where sat in their jam sandwich, pointing radar gun at various citizens recording their speeds (as they often do). Offshore, joint exercises where taking place with (I think the Dutch air force) and the RAF. And some "live" (dummies) firing onto an offshore target.

What is alleged to have happened is that one of the Aircraft`s "Anti" radar. Locked onto the radar gun, said device allegedly got hot, smoked a lot, and gave up the ghost! (fried big time). Had the dummy warhead locked on too. Two members of her majesties constabulary could well have been sat in a badly damaged vehicle, even with no "live" warhead they make a very large hole!.

I remember at the time, wondering how true it was?. Or another "Urban Myth"?.

Pete
A hoax it appears, sadly :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Sorry gus but I got a bit lost, who are you actually referring to here?
Those in power & associated spendthrifts.
The point is that running any public organisation costs a given amount. That amount is made up of taxpayer funding less any other income. In this case part of that other income is legitimate speeding fines. The lower that is the higher the taxpayer funding needs to be and vice versa. Nothing to do with increasing fines at all.
If there was no income at all what would they fund the running of said organisation on ? They wouldn't it would have to be done foc
They will always spend what income they have & then work out how to get more from the poor saps funding those below & those above rather than only spend the actual income that the have.
They will always want more.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If there was no income at all what would they fund the running of said organisation on ? They wouldn't it would have to be done foc
They will always spend what income they have & then work out how to get more from the poor saps funding those below & those above rather than only spend the actual income that the have.
They will always want more.
The budgets of all public services are controlled by central government. If they identify a larger income that expected from any given source they will reduce another element (especially in these times of austerity). Just look at the hoo-hah over local authority parking fines for instance.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
20 MPH limits are becoming a real pain. Whole areas now 20 mph. Are these enforceable by speed cameras, I've not seen a speed cam in a 20 mph limit yet. On long stretches of road 20 mph is too slow. 20 mph has it's place around schools etc but miles of clear long straight roads being restricted to 20 mph is a nonsense, probably brought in by hairy faced liberal vegans who have never been behind the wheel in their lives. :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
20 MPH limits are becoming a real pain. Whole areas now 20 mph. Are these enforceable by speed cameras, I've not seen a speed cam in a 20 mph limit yet. On long stretches of road 20 mph is too slow. 20 mph has it's place around schools etc but miles of clear long straight roads being restricted to 20 mph is a nonsense, probably brought in by hairy faced liberal vegans who have never been behind the wheel in their lives. :(
Most residential streets in Middlesbrough have had a 20 mph limit for a couple of years now but enforcement (if that is the term) is largely due to driver themselves. It didn't affect us much as we have never driven much above 20 on the estate where we live because it is inappropriate to do so, especially with a school in the area and an increasing number of parked cars which can cause blind spots. There are still some people who drive as fast as they can (in excess of 30 on some cases) but most act responsibly.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Most residential streets in Middlesbrough have had a 20 mph limit for a couple of years now but enforcement (if that is the term) is largely due to driver themselves. It didn't affect us much as we have never driven much above 20 on the estate where we live because it is inappropriate to do so, especially with a school in the area and an increasing number of parked cars which can cause blind spots. There are still some people who drive as fast as they can (in excess of 30 on some cases) but most act responsibly.
I dont have a vehicle that is happy at 20 mph even the bike, maintaining it for long periods I think requires to much time spent looking at the speedo rather than looking for road hazards. Short periods for schools etc great but the green party policy for general consumption is nonsense. Being overtaken by cyclists on a main road has got to be hazardous to health. :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I dont have a vehicle that is happy at 20 mph even the bike, maintaining it for long periods I think requires to much time spent looking at the speedo rather than looking for road hazards. Short periods for schools etc great but the green party policy for general consumption is nonsense. Being overtaken by cyclists on a main road has got to be hazardous to health. :(
We don't have 20 limits on main roads, only on residential roads. If authorities anywhere feel the need for such limits on main roads then perhaps it is recognition of the inability of road users to properly control themselves. To me, the inability to ride a bicycle at less than 20 mph would indicate that sort of lack of control.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Couldnt agree more it is one thing to sit in the middle lane all day in the way but if there is traffic coming up and it's obvious you will need to pull out in 20 seconds whats the point changing lane all the time. The idiots that do are twats as you say the same ones would not consider slowing slightly to let someone pull out if they do pull in to a nearside lane and indicate to move out and they pull out in front of other cars with too little space and very little indication when they want to pull out....twats.
I use the inside lane most of the time - hardly any traffic there:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm resurrecting this thread after doing a search for laser "detecters". A driver has just narrowly escaped a jail sentence for using a Laser Elite device. He still faces potentially very high costs as the police investigation was lengthy.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28058...lice-cameras-so-he-could-speed-with-impunity/
I think blockers are a different beast to detectors. Blockers are most definitely illegal.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
My Garmin Dezl pings at me if I go over the speed limit and it displays the speed limit all of the time, changing as appropriate, so there is no excuse to exceed it. Yes, I have it on most of the time.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My Garmin Dezl pings at me if I go over the speed limit and it displays the speed limit all of the time, changing as appropriate, so there is no excuse to exceed it. Yes, I have it on most of the time.

Its the ONE GOOD THING, about the Garmin, But they are still the worst at route planning I have come across. Want a Via?. The old T-T just pull up via and add no sweat. Garmin? Jump thorough 10 or 12 hoops, and then be prepared to stop after the Alleged "Via" and re programme!!.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm resurrecting this thread after doing a search for laser "detecters". A driver has just narrowly escaped a jail sentence for using a Laser Elite device. He still faces potentially very high costs as the police investigation was lengthy.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28058...lice-cameras-so-he-could-speed-with-impunity/

Problem is they come built in to many new cars & they aren't illegal.
They originally used to prosecute under the wireless & telegraphy act (?) but an appeal on the grounds that the jammers do not emit signals but only reflect the device's signal , a bit like a mirror but distorted, was successful & on appeal.
They are now reduced to prosecuting under the " interfering /obstructing a pc in the execution of his duty" .
Anyone admitting guilt to that deserves all they get.

Most people using one don't continually speed & at the same locations, & usually only have them for the odd occasion when they might stray over the limit in places where the Police have identified an ideal spot for raising the most money.
He appears to have been a complete knob head.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back