I will be getting a speed camara spotter today any recommendations (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Possibly Brian but do you have your sat nav on or selected on every trip, I dont. I am looking for something completely separate with it's own selection of warning sounds.(y)
I don't use my sat nav on every trip. There wouldn't be any point for cameras as I always switch off the display because it is too intrusive :)

I must admit, though, that I do have a tendency to keep my eyes open so as to observe speed limit signs in order to be able to comply with them :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Since about 2005 'detectors' have been illegal.
The road angel, like many other units, relies on gps signals to warn of camera positions in exactly the same way as normal GPS units do.
Some of the Road Angel models have a laser detector built in which can be switched off to comply with the law in England Ireland and Wales.
There is still some doubt as to the legality of detectors in Scotland as the results of a case brought agin a user in Scotland were ambiguous to say the least
From The Road Angel web site:

The proposed new legislation came in to force several years ago, so lord knows how long ago they updated their web site !!

Although in the bill ,It has never been enacted .
All are still legal in the UK. detectors & jammers.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Re my earlier post - I've just learnt that Pocket GPS World do a free phone app called CamerAlert...
It comes with a 'demo' version of the database but allows you one free update once registered so you can test it out risk free.

I've just installed it on my android phone & it linked seamlessly to my account. I've not used it yet but it found my location pretty quickly, and identified two nearby cameras I knew about [and one mobile location I wasn't aware of], so it looks promising.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't use my sat nav on every trip. There wouldn't be any point for cameras as I always switch off the display because it is too intrusive :)
I must admit, though, that I do have a tendency to keep my eyes open so as to observe speed limit signs in order to be able to comply with them :D
You are on that slippery slope GJH "if you had a few more horsepower" you could be heading for that lane marshal status.:cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
indicate to move out and they pull out in front of other cars with too little space and very little indication when they want to pull out....twats.
Hit them....they are in the wrong and their increased premiums may teach them the error of their ways.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not the first time that I have commented on this new form of speed camera but they are becoming more prevalent especially around the M25. Unless you are keeping your eye on your speedo as well as other traffic as well as BMW and Audi drivers as well as African and Indian drivers as well as women drivers as well as those who have absolutely no idea about motorway rules as well as left hand drive HGVs who cant see us alongside them as well uber drivers who are adjusting their sat nav as well as drink my coffee as well as keeping up a conversation with your partner...as well as.....as well as.
How are we expected to spot these highly sophisticated new hidden on the gantry cameras. I think I will be getting a speed cam spotter today, I need something separate from my sat nav detector that can sometimes be missed:cautious::)
No-holier-than-thou replies please.:)
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm
Next you will be saying how you have bought the latest 'Tabsniff' device, by which you can locate a filthy tobacco smoker at 4.6 miles in an urban enviroment, or a clandestine vaper hiding under the stairs in the 'Dog and Pullet'.....:Eeek:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Next you will be saying how you have bought the latest 'Tabsniff' device, by which you can locate a filthy tobacco smoker at 4.6 miles in an urban enviroment, or a clandestine vaper hiding under the stairs in the 'Dog and Pullet'.....:Eeek:
My nose never lets me dawn on that count, I got out of my car in Tesco car park today and the smell of a smoker was immediately present. I looked around but not a sole around then there it was some addict had discarded a burning cigarette some 100 yards away. Never lets me down. Pity speed cameras don't smell of a cash cow.;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I haven't had a speeding fine since 2005. Before that I was collecting them regularly.

Just take your number plates off and plead ignorance when you are pulled over and blame it on the Romanian gangs(y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I started driving in 1984 and used to be near the top of the scoreboard constantly until 2010 when I got caught twice in the same day, by the same camera, and luckily I got offered a speed awareness course for one of them, the advisor told me the problem was my car was geared for the american market hence why I kept getting caught being slightly over. Solution buy a new car ;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are on that slippery slope GJH "if you had a few more horsepower" you could be heading for that lane marshal status.:cool:
No I'm not, I'm in a nice comfortable chair which isn't slippery at all (y)
Thats rubbish Graham....we all know its in addition to the amount that is raised in taxes.
The gov arent that thick....allegedly
But just think how much that tax amount would have to rise otherwise John :D

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks DD I like the look of this one, how often do you update it and does it miss many newly placed cams.
It updates itself automatically..... There is an annual subscription, though. Worth it as all it has to do is to save one ticket

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Possibly Brian but do you have your sat nav on or selected on every trip, I dont.

In the van yes. Just for the speed warnings.

You don't make a whole lot of sense, you'll switch on a camera database which is just a satnav without nav part and screen but you'll not turn on a satnav.

You use the word "spotter", to the best of my knowledge the "detectors" went out of the window years ago. I had the very first Road Angel, it came with a detector, it never detected anything but the GPS part worked OK.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In the van yes. Just for the speed warnings.

You don't make a whole lot of sense, you'll switch on a camera database which is just a satnav without nav part and screen but you'll not turn on a satnav.

You use the word "spotter", to the best of my knowledge the "detectors" went out of the window years ago. I had the very first Road Angel, it came with a detector, it never detected anything but the GPS part worked OK.
You're not the first one to notice that Brian:)
In my car I have a central unit which incorporates a number of gadgets including radio and telephone. This doesn't make warnings of impending speed cams very easy to spot. I think an independent stand alone unit would be a better option.(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In my car I have a central unit which incorporates a number of gadgets including radio and telephone. This doesn't make warnings of impending speed cams very easy to spot.

Don't understand unless you mean your satnav is built into the car which shifts the goal posts magnificently in the true manner of FUN.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't understand unless you mean your satnav is built into the car which shifts the goal posts magnificently in the true manner of FUN.
Here to please Brian, yes I do have a sat nav built into the car, I also have a Tom Tom and a smart phone and a Samsung tablet, all with satnav and speed awareness. How does this shift the goal posts I wonder.....:)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I looked around but not a sole around then there it was some addict
....................And it was...............YOU!! The secret puffer!! :rofl:
the advisor told me the problem was my car was geared for the american market hence why I kept getting caught being slightly over.
That's a strange one. Never heard of that before.........

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I haven't had a speeding fine since 2005. Before that I was collecting them regularly.

Just take your number plates off and plead ignorance when you are pulled over and blame it on the Romanian gangs(y)

There is a real oddity in the law as it stands
No number plate, £30 to £60 fine
False number plate, perverting justice and possible imprisonment !

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
....................And it was...............YOU!! The secret puffer!! :rofl:

That's a strange one. Never heard of that before.........
I was only about 1 or 2 miles over each time and the guy running the course (ex police officer) said that American miles are different to English miles and are geared to suit? I don't know if it he was right or not but I got a new car and no incidents since (touch wood)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was only about 1 or 2 miles over each time and the guy running the course (ex police officer) said that American miles are different to English miles and are geared to suit? I don't know if it he was right or not but I got a new car and no incidents since (touch wood)
Was the course held on the first of April? :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I use my sat nav, which is on every trip, mostly because it has the live traffic. However it also warns me of speed cameras, including the speed limit and there is an audible alarm if exceed that. It saved me a lot of aggravation not so long back. I was pootling along at just under 30mph, and the sat nav exploded in a cacophony of warnings about the impending speed camera (which I had seen). It was alerting me that I was exceeding the 20mph limit. I stood on the brakes and got down to 20, however I was sure that the last speed limit sign was 30.
When I arrived home, I whipped out the memory card from the dash cam and reviewed the footage! I was right, the only speed sign I had passed was 30, however there was a signpost just before the speed camera that had no sign attached!
Now I can't say whether the speed limit was 20mph at one point, or that the limit was still 20 and the sign had been nicked. Whichever, I really don't have the time to go to court to appeal a conviction if it was the latter.
Anyway, the sat nav is a TomTom go live, in case you hadn't already guessed. Apparently camera updates come live via other TomTom users, and also RoadAngel.

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
I have a rather swift and remapped car for everyday use and invested in a `Snooper 3 Zero` some time ago (2010). This is a dedicated detector and not a satnav. It is not illegal to use as it only `accepts` the laser/radar/ir signal emitted towards it and alerts me to that fact. If it `bounced` the signal source then it would be illegal ie. it then becomes a jammer (and obstructs a constable in the execution of his duty I guess).
Sometime in the past the detectors were outlawed but a challenge through the Courts in this country resulted in the ban being lifted. I use it only when I am travelling outside my area. It also features a "careful school" alert that scared the doodoo out of me when it went off following an online update. I also caution you if you get one to be aware that it will go off if you pass a weather radar that is operating. When the zapping alert it goes off you will know. Trust me you will know. Oops forgot to mention, that they are illegal in France, that I know so don`t carry it there.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I just have the satnav set to warn me if I am over the speed limit, I don't think its relevant whether there is a camera there or not.
Camera detectors are illegal in some places, even the GPS ones are illegal in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back