I will be getting a speed camara spotter today any recommendations (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not the first time that I have commented on this new form of speed camera but they are becoming more prevalent especially around the M25. Unless you are keeping your eye on your speedo as well as other traffic as well as BMW and Audi drivers as well as African and Indian drivers as well as women drivers as well as those who have absolutely no idea about motorway rules as well as left hand drive HGVs who cant see us alongside them as well uber drivers who are adjusting their sat nav as well as drink my coffee as well as keeping up a conversation with your partner...as well as.....as well as.
How are we expected to spot these highly sophisticated new hidden on the gantry cameras. I think I will be getting a speed cam spotter today, I need something separate from my sat nav detector that can sometimes be missed:cautious::)
No-holier-than-thou replies please.:)
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
This woman driver would recommend Road Angel
road-angel-halo.jpg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can't answer I'm afraid but an additional question:
Did I read somewhere on here that they're illegal in some European countries?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
road-angel-halo.jpg
Thanks bm, I see that Road Angel do a separate speed cam locator, is this the unit that you are recommending or does the dash cam do both filming and spotting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Most vehicles have a speed limiter. Set it. Easy peasy.

Lorraine x
Thanks Lorraine I have one on mine but speed limits change too often to keep up and for safety reasons I sometimes don't like being limited, I need something completely separate that wakes me up. (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can't answer I'm afraid but an additional question:
Did I read somewhere on here that they're illegal in some European countries?
They are indeed CWH, for this reason I wouldn't use one in France but France or any other European country doesn't have the same number as we do.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Since about 2005 'detectors' have been illegal.
The road angel, like many other units, relies on gps signals to warn of camera positions in exactly the same way as normal GPS units do.
Some of the Road Angel models have a laser detector built in which can be switched off to comply with the law in England Ireland and Wales.
There is still some doubt as to the legality of detectors in Scotland as the results of a case brought agin a user in Scotland were ambiguous to say the least
From The Road Angel web site:

Will the Road Angel be banned under the proposed new legislation?
The proposed changes in legislation with regards to the banning of speed camera detectors will not affect the Road Angel.Any Road Angel with an inbuilt laser detector will have the facility to be able to switch the laser alert off if required.

The proposed new legislation came in to force several years ago, so lord knows how long ago they updated their web site !!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
road-angel-halo.jpg
I'm at work so I cant go and check at the moment so I just searched for Road Angel, I know mine makes you aware of the speed cameras locations for safety reasons ;)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Drive slower and pay attention to speed limits. Works for me. :)
It works for me too DBK but the enemy are introducing cheating into their game. Sometimes it is difficult to deal with cheats without introducing cheating yourself.:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Since about 2005 'detectors' have been illegal.
The road angel, like many other units, relies on gps signals to warn of camera positions in exactly the same way as normal GPS units do.
Some of the Road Angel models have a laser detector built in which can be switched off to comply with the law in England Ireland and Wales.
There is still some doubt as to the legality of detectors in Scotland as the results of a case brought agin a user in Scotland were ambiguous to say the least
From The Road Angel web site:

The proposed new legislation came in to force several years ago, so lord knows how long ago they updated their web site !!
Thanks Jaws I can see I will have to do a lot more research before I commit my self.(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks bm, I see that Road Angel do a separate speed cam locator, is this the unit that you are recommending or does the dash cam do both filming and spotting.
Yes, I have the road Angel gem+ in my car. Works very well.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have "here maps" on my phone and use it for sat nav, don't have anything else, but boy does she get on your nerves with speed warnings , but must admit she's always right, and seeing as it updates itself automatically about every fortnight I would presume the speed thingy is up to date as well(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Surely we should be encouraging those who can't control their speed to continue shouldn't we? After all, every speeding fine is an amount less that has to be raised in taxes :D
Perhaps I should include, as well as self-righteous bigots who overtake me then pull across my path to the inside lane in a vain attempt to let me know of the motorway lane rules. Absolute Twats....:rolleyes:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Not the first time that I have commented on this new form of speed camera but they are becoming more prevalent especially around the M25. Unless you are keeping your eye on your speedo as well as other traffic as well as BMW and Audi drivers as well as African and Indian drivers as well as women drivers as well as those who have absolutely no idea about motorway rules as well as left hand drive HGVs who cant see us alongside them as well uber drivers who are adjusting their sat nav as well as drink my coffee as well as keeping up a conversation with your partner...as well as.....as well as.
How are we expected to spot these highly sophisticated new hidden on the gantry cameras. I think I will be getting a speed cam spotter today, I need something separate from my sat nav detector that can sometimes be missed:cautious::)
No-holier-than-thou replies please.:)
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

And lo, the camera people did smite those who defied their teachings yeah even though they had detectors in their chariots. And the wrath of the camera people was great and tributes were demanded from the sinners and there was much grinding of teeth and wallet hinges, even unto complaints and pleadings of innocence, which fell on stony ground and deaf ears.

And if France, verily, the camera people did beseech the charioteers to cast aside their detectors and obeyeth the law, for it is written that sinners will be made to pay tribute on the spot and even greater wrath shall be shown to those who cannot pay, for they shall be separated from their chariots until even greater tribute is paid and no mercy given to those from foreign lands.

(Ist epistle to those who cannot, or will not obey the writings cast in stone upon the roadside)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Perhaps I should include, as well as self-righteous bigots who overtake me then pull across my path to the inside lane in a vain attempt to let me know of the motorway lane rules. Absolute Twats....:rolleyes:
Couldnt agree more it is one thing to sit in the middle lane all day in the way but if there is traffic coming up and it's obvious you will need to pull out in 20 seconds whats the point changing lane all the time. The idiots that do are twats as you say the same ones would not consider slowing slightly to let someone pull out if they do pull in to a nearside lane and indicate to move out and they pull out in front of other cars with too little space and very little indication when they want to pull out....twats.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Couldnt agree more it is one thing to sit in the middle lane all day in the way but if there is traffic coming up and it's obvious you will need to pull out in 20 seconds whats the point changing lane all the time. The idiots that do are twats as you say the same ones would not consider slowing slightly to let someone pull out if they do pull in to a nearside lane and indicate to move out and they pull out in front of other cars with too little space and very little indication when they want to pull out....twats.
I have a way with them, as soon as they hit the inside lane I hit my throttle and put myself just slightly ahead of them, It works for as you say there is a reason for me sitting in the middle lane and as soon as they reach it they have to indicate and pull out behind me again, sorted......twats ;)
I wonder if there are any active motorway lane marshals reading this.:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have a way with them, as soon as they hit the inside lane I hit my throttle and put myself just slightly ahead of them, It works for as you say there is a reason for me sitting in the middle lane and as soon as they reach it they have to indicate and pull out behind me again, sorted......twats ;)
OK, I'll bite......

You.......you........middle lane hogger, you! :LOL:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't blame the rest of us just because you live in an area populated by self-righteous bigots :LOL:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you can miss the BOOOOoooooIng from your satnav you will miss the BOOOOoooooIng from your stand alone warning device. Surely.
Possibly Brian but do you have your sat nav on or selected on every trip, I dont. I am looking for something completely separate with it's own selection of warning sounds.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So doesn't that makes you as guilty as they are of trying to teach others how to drive? :D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So doesn't that makes you as guilty as they are of trying to teach others how to drive? :D
Possibly DBK but you cant let them go on their way thinking they are always right. It is not good for their well-being. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back