I went into our van today (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
After just a few moments, I left feeling depressed. In the last several months in spite of telling the Insurance of an annual 5000 miles, it has not completed more than 30 miles when I had to drive it to my daughters while the house gained a new roof.
I do not want to go inside again for a while.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
After just a few moments, I left feeling depressed. In the last several months in spite of telling the Insurance of an annual 5000 miles, it has not completed more than 30 miles when I had to drive it to my daughters while the house gained a new roof.
Come on, chin up, there is light at the end of the tunnel! :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine is in the drive , I can see her from most windows and most days I have a check inside turn on the radio and dream of sunnier climes and every night after my bedtime Malt or G&T I walk outside touch her rear panel check the doors and the alarm flashing then a little kiss on her petite nose before standing out front and listen to the waves breaking on the shore :h:

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
My van is parked up on a site about 10 miles away, I take it out for a short drive every three just to keep it going and it always makes me smile.
I imagine if it was parked up at home that it would depress me seeing it every day but going nowhere, you could always sell it but then how would you feel :(
Try to enjoy the anticipation of your next trip (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
TBH that seems like a glass half empty approach, it’s been a particularly carp time for the last year but you need to look at this from another point of view.

Your in a great position, your all set for a great time once this madness is done, your daughters obviously got through this as have you, and your chosen room is just sat there waiting for you to choose your view once you can, so get on google maps and start planning.

Oh and when you pass a mirror just check, you still have that twinkle in your eye.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I go in ours a lot when we need a tin of food or kitchen roll or something, there's always a good chance I'll find it in the van 😁
weve got to calling ours the larder

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Know what you mean - we keep borrowing things out of the storecupboard in there - will have to do an inventory before we eventually can go anywhere again.
Us too - but it's a bit like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard after nearly a year! :giggle:

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
Things are depressing it's true. Terry Waite said, on his emancipation, that the thing he had learned is we humans can cope with almost anything as long as we have hope.
The trouble is we keep having hope threatened. That's what exacerbates the struggle. The seemingly unendingness of it. The shifting finish line.
Do you ever look at at the sun and cry "how dare you rise? How dare the world have turned when things are so dire?" Yet the world does keep turning and the golden orb does present itself and new day after new day begins for us. Each bringing opportunities and beginnings.
This too shall pass. Every challenge, every adversity will make way. And the many beauties of the world still surround us.
I make a point of finding 5 things of beauty, wonder and joy. Just 5. My cherry tree, the sky, people's kindnesses . . . 5 things to punctuate the dark. 5 things to appreciate. 5 things to be grateful for. I can always find 5. One of them is sitting on my drive (currently broken down but that will be fixed). One of them, albeit inoperable at this precise minute, represents the thing I want most. Freedom. Adventure. Connection with others. And it's there. Patiently waiting for much needed TLC and it's key to be put in the ignition to take me where I want to go. And other loved ones are there, patiently waiting too.
It's ok to feel sad. Of course. There's lots to be sad about. But there is also lots to be hopeful about. Hold on to the hope. The rest will follow. In due course.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
One of our dogs had a vets appointment yesterday, it’s only a ten minute drive but I took him in the van. I put the ELO CD on which is what we always start with when we set off on a journey, big grin and off we go....it was worth it even when the fridge door few open and I had to pull over to lock it!

We’ll all get there wherever we are in the world, thank you for your post Catchick, I’ll make a point of finding five things today.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Only yesterday I decided to take mine out to do the weekly shopping. Have to admit I did drive home the long way round (extra 5 miles) but thought the van should have a trip out. I’m off as soon as permitted even if it is just a night away.
Keep the faith, we will get there.

Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
It’s all doom and gloom, really fed up now! Not worked properly since feb last year, stuck at home day in day out home schooling/entertaining the children,ground hog day everyday! Hopefully will be able to use the van soon it’s looking very sorry for itself at the moment parked at our yard!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I sleep in our ‘van occasionally just to make sure that ‘everything works’.........;) . Two of the dogs (Taz & Mylo), sleep in there as well, and they run around like mad devils the next morning even though it’s only in our garden!(y)
Looking forward to going away!!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine is in the drive , I can see her from most windows and most days I have a check inside turn on the radio and dream of sunnier climes and every night after my bedtime Malt or G&T I walk outside touch her rear panel check the doors and the alarm flashing then a little kiss on her petite nose before standing out front and listen to the waves breaking on the shore :h:
Please can you ell me what brand of malt and gin.... I want some!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I find it’s always a positive thing stepping into the MoHo past traveled and thoughts 💭 for the future adventures, ovasaionally just sit in it watch a bit of TV whilst having a cuppa and a biscuit 🍪😎. But given the current situation I can understand why some may find it a bit of a downer 😞

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I open up the windows and doors of my magic carpet in the drive on fine days and smile when checking around inside and catch a glimpse of the shelf with visitor guides, maps, site receipts, tin of cassoulet, Spanish sugar bag and various trip-related memorabilia. I feel sorry for new owners whose impersonal first m/h has no memories for them, having been virtually unused for maybe 12 months.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Ours is parked on our drive. Every morning when opening the staircase blinds, I look down on the roof and examine the solar panel, MiFi antenna etc, and can’t wait to use it to its full capacity.

I like others use it to get the once weekly shop (about 5 miles), but have used it first week of January to collect two of our Grandad children (400 mile round trip) who now reside with us. Had them for over 5 months last year.

Having two of our Grandchildren (6 and 2) here helps, but doesn’t stop us missing our other two who live in The Netherlands. HOME SCHOOLING.......now that’s a laugh for me......glad no one is looking over my shoulder accessing my abilities.:whistle:::bigsmile: I’m that type of teacher who let the kids out of class early.;)

We’ve taken to sitting in the van with a coffee or tea. It’s a new van, but I’m spending a small fortune on ‘bolt on’ bits, that I would have gathered over a longer period. Not spending on travelling, so why not do it now? :giggle:

Got a list of planned journeys, and looking at more.

It won’t last forever.(y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
rosalan please don't be disheartened, think we mostly could feel that way. Wish ours was at home, i would be out using it and pretending I was somewhere exotic, or even Blackpool anywhere at all. We can get to the van n storage to check it, have before now taken a flask, sandwiches and my kindle. Unfortunately have to leave the red stuff at home ;)

Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
Ours is on the drive, useful to have as you say if you run out of anything you can usually find it in the van. My daughter said mum it always smells like holiday in here and shes right its very comforting so I sit in it with a drink quite regularly, also take it our regularly keep the battery topped up and the black circles round (y) ;)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
When I'm feeling a bit down I go and sit in the van with the radio on and a good book, it's my 'happy place'! Just been furloughed today, so tomorrow when the Mrs goes shopping with her daughter I'll be in my happy place with my wee dog and laptop practicing my French and dreaming of better times ahead ;)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I suppose in one sense I am lucky as my Van us our only vehicle so it gets a run at least once a week shopping, which is keeping the batteries topped up and hopefully the exhaust system isn’t rotting away. I have been doing small jobs on it and buying buts for it. I have a new table being made to be used outside side door so can’t wait to get out and eat el fresco 👏👏👏👏

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back