Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Any layby offers a quick getaway to thieves.. and probably without the cameras that are everywhere on the motorways and service stations.. As for the noise, well yes you might get accustomed to it. But if you are secure you will hear someone breaking in. The reality is, its not the aire that is the problem, it's being insecure when on it. The reason we hear about aire robberies is for the vast majority they are only public places that they camp, and when they do they are tired and in holiday mode.

Personally I feel they are not as dangerous as people make out. But of course they carry more risk than a campsite.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Out of interest - does anyone have any thoughts as to whether a motorway aire without services, hence quieter and less people around, would be more or less risky than one with services which is jammed to the gunnels with HGV's ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Out of interest - does anyone have any thoughts as to whether a motorway aire without services, hence quieter and less people around, would be more or less risky than one with services which is jammed to the gunnels with HGV's ?

Unfortunately not, some parts of the country the HGV drivers are also the robbers. But generally speaking you are safer in numbers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
And thinking about it anyone with a foreign number plate on a motorhome is likely to be targeted as they will likely be carrying holiday money, cameras, laptops etc etc and will have passports with them.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Unfortunately not, some parts of the country the drivers are also the robbers.

I did wonder - in hindsight (that wonderful gift again) I was parked up almost parallel to a lorry and he would have had to go right past my window and have every right to be there. That, of course was the side I hadn't properly latched the window, and also, or course, the darker side, and the side the computer bag was on, and the side the dog was not on.......... etc etc etc.

Its no good worrying after the event. Just use it to alter ones behaviour for the future :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We stayed overnight on a motorway aire just the once.

I made sure the wife and kids got off to sleep but I was a bit nervous and sat up drinking beer and patrolling the van all night.

When they woke up I was a bit drunk and couldn't drive.

We didn't get robbed though (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That happens to many people when they wildcamp, me included. A little trepidation is healthy. But for some it's too much, their imagination runs riot, they don't sleep properly and it spoils the enjoyment so much that they just cannot do it. If that's you, it's best to avoid it at all costs, motorhoming is supposed to be fun :)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Any layby offers a quick getaway to thieves.. and probably without the cameras that are everywhere on the motorways and service stations.. As for the noise, well yes you might get accustomed to it. But if you are secure you will hear someone breaking in. The reality is, its not the aire that is the problem, it's being insecure when on it. The reason we hear about aire robberies is for the vast majority they are only public places that they camp, and when they do they are tired and in holiday mode.

Personally I feel they are not as dangerous as people make out. But of course they carry more risk than a campsite.

We use motorway aires never had any problems but we are always ready to jump in the seat and drive off . Always have doors locked and alarm set but we do this on any parking place. There is a saying wrong place wrong time , shit can happen no matter where you park.

Paul

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have had a locked bike nicked from the rack on the back of the van while I was asleep inside. I have also had a full case nicked from inside the van where I was asleep stretched across from the seat with my feet on the sink. It never put me off but I do now tend to sleep with one eye open..:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
SWMBO isn't keen on m/way services, wild camping, etc so I leave her on guard while I go unconscious as usual and she hates me for it. 22yrs HGV driving teaches you how to sleep anywhere, anytime, anyhow. :LOL:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone blamed the immigrants?
Of course not, there will be no break down of service station robberies by ethnic origin will there?

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Given the options of either falling asleep at the wheel or having a few things nicked from a motorway aires you definitely chose the right one. The best laid plans etc... Maybe if your pup hadn't be tethered you might have had nothing pinched and a human hand in the cab in the morning! Carry on camping...

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The motorway services north and south of Nimes are usually very busy most of the time and more so at night with wagons and motorhomes. The last time we stayed there a number of motorhomers came over to us and asked if they could park next to us for security. I advised them to park as close as possible including cab to cab nose on without any gaps. Ok there is always a risk of fire but as it was summer apart from fridges being on it would be low. Everyone had a good nights sleep. We have heard many stories of robberies in this area and seen first hand the distress that has been caused so you have to be very cautious.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back