LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I got home early Tuesday morning. From Portugal. To find that I was supposed to have a accident in the high street in Goring. But I was at home that night. With The social services. So I have got a witness to say where I was. But how do they get my reg no.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I got home early Tuesday morning. From Portugal. To find that I was supposed to have a accident in the high street in Goring. But I was at home that night. With The social services. So I have got a witness to say where I was. But how do they get my reg no.
Duplicate plates ..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
....someone has cloned your number plates......:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
maybe your car has been cloned to avoid tax etc. a friend of mine got a couple of london congestion charges but hasnt been to london for years. the photo showed a car same make and model but a different colour

OP
OP
cruiser

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh they got the colour right. Now having fun with the police and the insurance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cloned or misread.
If insurers are involved ask them what make and model your vehicle is.
Many years ago my boss got a summons for speeding at 85mph on the M25 at 7:30am.
Astra van and it wouldnt do 85mph straight down off the white cliffs and apart from that it was at the yard at 8am.
Number correct but on a different coloured CAR.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The number of my (then) car was cloned in 1994, leading to a ticket for using a bus lane in London. My car was a Citroen Berlingo and the clone was a Renault.
Whoever has issued the ticket should have checked the make, model and colour of the car and should not have sent the ticket to you if they did not match.
If they have sent you a ticket without such matching tell them you will report them to the Information Commissioner for obtaining your personal data without due care as I did. TfL didn't like it but it did apparently result in them tightening up their procedures.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You may have fun when you renew any insurances for vehicles this year - I did :(

I was accused of having a accident at 5.30am one sunday morning in south London - never been there in my life.

The guy who made the claim then never answered a single letter etc from his insurer or mine.

But it sticks on your insurance record for six months. My motorbike insurance became due and they treated it as though I lost two years no claims.

After the six months (I had to keep chasing the other insurers to cancel their claim with my insurer) they admitted they did not have a claim to pursue.

My insurer then gave me back my no claims but only repaid back to me just the six months insurance costs and not the whole twelve months extra cost.

The really great bit about this was when they asked me where I was and I said in bed with the wife. They then asked if I had a witness!!!! :rolleyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just remembered a conversation with a family friend. his grandson noticed the numberplate on the front of his car was different to the back. turned out they traced it back to a numpty at the supplying dealership. there must have been another car with the opposite plates somewhere

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
My daughter in the Midlands had a speeding fine from York. When she questioned it the had totally misread the number!!!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I watched a Police Interceptors film on the Telly, when they stopped a young man on the Motorway with a ,VERY, hard stop, they got out Smashed his screen and both door windows dragged him out and gave him a very bad time, handcuffed and sat on. It turned out that his new car had got a number plate, letter transposition done by the moron at the dealers. He has a smashed car, various bruises AND a fine for the forged number plate, on top of it. All on Camera, keep out of Essex, I say. The Police said it was a stolen car on false plates??? good job they didn't have guns there then.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
One of my friends had a visit by the local police. Seems he had filled up his car and drove off without paying, however it was in Lincolnshire. He'd had his numberplate cloned and was being used on an almost identical silver VW Golf. Good job we could prove we were out of the country on military business and that his car was secured in a compound at Army HQ in Andover Wiltshire!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I watched a Police Interceptors film on the Telly, when they stopped a young man on the Motorway with a ,VERY, hard stop, they got out Smashed his screen and both door windows dragged him out and gave him a very bad time, handcuffed and sat on. It turned out that his new car had got a number plate, letter transposition done by the moron at the dealers. He has a smashed car, various bruises AND a fine for the forged number plate, on top of it. All on Camera, keep out of Essex, I say. The Police said it was a stolen car on false plates??? good job they didn't have guns there then.
Not quite accurate, I watched that episode. Turned out he'd already been stopped, and the error pointed out to him, he was issued a VDRN. He chose to continue driving on the "false" plates despite being told to replace them. He pinged an ANPR camera showing "no trace" so they put in a hard stop as it was a possible stolen vehicle. He was then extremely combative with the police, leading them to suspect he had stolen the car. Turns out he was just a monumental bellend with an attitude problem. I have to say, if it were my car, and it had been stolen, I'd want the police to react like they did!

More pertinent to the topic, I received a parking ticket a few years ago, along with a very threatening letter. Apparently I had parked somewhere in Glasgow at 19:00, the letter was essentially telling me I shouldn't object because they had photographic evidence of the offence. So I phoned them up, and quoted the PCN number. The lady asked me how I wanted to pay, I asked her when I was going to receive my award for achieving the land speed record, since I had photographic evidence (cctv) that my car was in Surrey at 18:30, and thus I would have to have averaged 930mph to reach the location, and that was in rush hour on the M25! Not bad for a Vauxhall Astra! She checked the photo and read me the number, at which point I said, that isn't my registration, you have transposed the letters.
Strangely my fine was quashed! :D

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Earlier this year my car insurer (LV) got in touch with me asking why I'd not reported an accident on a specific date.

When I got in touch with them, I told them I wasn't in any accident, and in fact was out of the country on the day in question, with Swmbo, the only other person who drives the car.

They told me not to worry, it happens all the time when someone reports an accident to their insurer and gets the Third parties number plate wrong.

I never heard any more, and NCD wasn't affected at renewal a couple of months later.

So my experience suggests to put it out of your mind, you've probably not been cloned or anything, just some wrong digits used by someone in error.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You may have fun when you renew any insurances for vehicles this year - I did :(

I was accused of having a accident at 5.30am one sunday morning in south London - never been there in my life.

The guy who made the claim then never answered a single letter etc from his insurer or mine.

But it sticks on your insurance record for six months. My motorbike insurance became due and they treated it as though I lost two years no claims.

After the six months (I had to keep chasing the other insurers to cancel their claim with my insurer) they admitted they did not have a claim to pursue.

My insurer then gave me back my no claims but only repaid back to me just the six months insurance costs and not the whole twelve months extra cost.

The really great bit about this was when they asked me where I was and I said in bed with the wife. They then asked if I had a witness!!!! :rolleyes:

It stays active for an eternity.

I had problems with a so called "open or un resolved case" marked against my surname funnily enough also in London.
It was marked against me on the day my commercial vehicle was sat on my drive awaiting its new owner the following day.

Good luck with trying to sort it, I had a nightmare with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back