MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Bapaume church, our first overnight stop a few years ago.
Memories
Good nights sleep
Bloody noisy church bells in the morning though[/QUOTE]

no church bells when we stayed - perhaps we were lucky lol although so long as they don't start before I am awake then I can always turn the radio/tv up LOL

Nov 17, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I'm a Newbie
My claim to fame is being invited by my tri-service unit to parachute (as a military parachutist Sailor) into Arnhem for the 50th Anniversary (I was the only RN parachutist with an RM Major). We then marched in to Arnhem, stopping at all the major action points and being given a talk on each position by members of 10 Para (TA). The whole time we were being thanked by the people of Arnhem, it was a truly moving experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Verdun has a very good aire at a sweetie factory. Take the factory tour and see sugared almonds being made. The factory also makes bombs. Yes real ones, although these ones have a shell of chocolate apparently it's a very popular way of delivering engagement rings.
A short walk into the centre of verdun with lots of ww1 stuff and tourist info.

Jan 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 yrs
Thank you for your help. Booked a couple of nights at the Camping d’Albert. There is so much to see. I may see about getting our 3 way fridge connected to the gas and try an Aire for a night in the Calais area the night before our Tunnel trip home.
A great idea re the poppy crosses. Thank you
Jim

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Thank you for your help. Booked a couple of nights at the Camping d’Albert. There is so much to see.
Glad you got booked in at Camping d'Albert, Jim. The Somme 1916 Trench museum at Albert is a very interesting place. Albert saw a lot of fighting during World War I, where huge parts of the town was destroyed. Most of the Somme museum is located in the World War I tunnels under the town. We parked our 5.8 metre motorhome just a few yards away from the entrance to the museum.

When you descend into the dark hallways of the former shelters at Albert (last used during World War 2), you're greeted by diorama after diorama dealing with the trench war of 1914-1918. The museum also features a film about the war, hundreds of photographs and many display cases with personal items belonging to soldiers that fought here. Very moving.

The Circuit of Remembrance is a route touring the Somme battlefields in France. It’s a forty mile route and starts from either the town of Albert or that of Peronne, winding through numerous battle sites, memorials and museums.

The Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme is a major war memorial to 72,000 missing British and South African men who died in the Battles of the Somme and who have no known grave.

Verdun has both a memorial site and a museum. The Battle of Verdun, which started in February 1916 and ended in December was the longest single battle ever fought in history and it resulted in excess of three-quarters of a million casualties – such a wicked waste of life. The Verdun Memorial is set amidst the site of this battle and the surrounding landscape deliberately still bears the scars of the war, including mine and shell craters. The Memorial Museum immerses the visitor in the realities of the battle and uses multimedia presentations to guide visitors through the events of the war. The Battle of Verdun was the primary reason for the British starting the Battle of the Somme in July 1916 in an effort to take German pressure off the French at Verdun.

When we visited the war graves of the Somme it was so sad to see all the gravestones of those brave young men, some only 18 years old. What they went through was horrendous and we owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back