I want to register my motorhome from UK to Spanish plates 😒 (3 Viewers)

Lammer

Free Member
Apr 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducati
I want to register my motorhome from UK to Spanish plates 😒

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
If you are in the Murcia area let me know, I can recommend a garage who will do it all for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
First question is do you have residency in Spain, what part of Spain are you in, under normal circumstances it was quite expensive, I would think now things have changed the cost is a lot more. 😯 Bob.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good luck....get the Euros and tissues ready...got friends who are doing the same right now.....should have done it last year is the most useful or not, sentence or the day..

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Can only happen if hab door is on the correct side I belive

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Can only happen if hab door is on the correct side I belive

Not necessarily, I am not conversant with the rules in Spain as it varies from region to region apparently.

However I know of one ex UK motorhome, RHD with hab door on the LHS matriculated onto Spanish plates, can't recall which region though.

Until this vehicle came onto our site in Portugal last September I had always assumed that it was not possible which led me to investigate the situation in Portugal.

I am currently awaiting the documents for my PVC which has undergone the necessary examinations etc, the issue of the documents has been delayed by the covid situation and a large increase in applications prior to the 1st January.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Iff you are in the Murcia area let me know, I can recommend a garage who will do it all for you.
Always useful without doubt..however if the van wasn't in Spain before the turn of last year, it's become a very costly experience....
Ours was done about 10 years ago...it was 4'500€ then...from start to finish...not including new headlights...they came at an extra cost...

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
First question is do you have residency in Spain, what part of Spain are you in, under normal circumstances it was quite expensive, I would think now things have changed the cost is a lot more. 😯 Bob.

Good luck....get the Euros and tissues ready...got friends who are doing the same right now.....should have done it last year is the most useful or not, sentence or the day..
^^^^^^^^^^^^ What these have both said.

Befor, when the UK was in the EU, they were stuck with following the rules. Now the UK is a 3rd country they can more or less ask for anything they want & even refuse to replate it for no reason whatsoever. That's after you 've spent a fortune.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It can be very difficult, would it not be better to sell your UK motorhome here and buy a Spanish one.over there?

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Ours was done about 10 years ago...it was 4'500€ then...from start to finish...not including new headlights...they came at an extra cost...
Holy smokes! Thats mad. Never realised the cost for what is just a stamp on paper.
I’m thinking ....
Sell your van in UK now, while market is strong,
Buy new or second hand in Spain, assuming you have the necessary residence papers etc.
or buy a decent van there and do a quick conversion using the money you’ve saved.
You may not need all the bells and whistles we need in our rainy country.
A friend of mine took a vw Cali left hand drive from UK to Spain, he sticks to all rules , by the time he had it all re-registered his hair had gone white!!
Seriously, good luck,

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Holy smokes! Thats mad. Never realised the cost for what is just a stamp on paper.
I’m thinking ....
Sell your van in UK now, while market is strong,
Buy new or second hand in Spain, assuming you have the necessary residence papers etc.
or buy a decent van there and do a quick conversion using the money you’ve saved.
You may not need all the bells and whistles we need in our rainy country.
A friend of mine took a vw Cali left hand drive from UK to Spain, he sticks to all rules , by the time he had it all re-registered his hair had gone white!!
Seriously, good luck,
Unless you have done it in Spain you are not likely to know all the work involved....then there are taxes, duties admin costs, ITV test, gas test, electric tests, conformaty papers...need I go on....our friends have given up in their van and are returning it to the UK...Spanish customs are demanding big money for duty..... don't ask....this is Third country ruling...tad different now....

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Lammer, welcome to the fun house! 🤪

Unfortunately it never was easy to do and now even more difficult and costly too so unless you really need to do it, selling it in the UK and buying another abroad will likely be the easiest, and cheapest, solution.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You're not in the UK ,You can't do a "quick conversion". If done legally the vehicle has to have an "engineers project " My one last year cost 650€, inc IVA(VaT) which I honestly thought was a bargain.I was expecting 1500-2000€ for it.
The project amounts to 62 pages, including as mentioned by jumar , a certificate for electrics, one for gas , & one for the installation of all the equipment,as legally it can only be done by someone with the required paperwork. Which theoretically means it cannot be done yourself .( fortunately there are ways around that) That doesn't actually mean that they are any good or have any idea ,just that they have the licence.
Then once you have all this paperwork it has to be deposited at the ITV(MOT) station for them to read then they make an appointment to inspect the vehicle.& yes they check every item ,measurement ,weight , capacity, serial number, etc;etc, that is stated on the project. Once satisfied they issue a reclassification of the vehicle from Van /van with windows ,etc; to van with living accommodation.
For this they charge the princely sum of 47,53€ . Ridiculous really as it took them over 2 hours & cost of an ordinary mot is 53,58€ & only takes 15minutes.
The benefit of doing it correctly is that ,unlike the UK, it triples the vehicles value immediately.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I stand corrected and should have guessed this having had a home there for 15 years even before we jumped into being a ‘third’ country.
A quick conversion is a van and mattress sounds like the way ahead, or do it all correctly(sounds aggro) but well worth it for rewards of ownership. Is there translation fees to think about or ‘gestor’ legal fees as well?
Maybe its why a lot of the Spanish seem to use older caravans and just use them as a static bedroom on site, everything else is outside, cooking, tv, dogs, granny and in one case, a washing machine!

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I registered one of my cars last year (well this year).

As we had started the re-registration and had the ITV from December. Managed to get it finished in January.

2009 Audi A3 1.9TDie 56,000 miles on the clock.

Total cost was €670 for the agent to do everything, right down to the plates and sending V5 back to UK as exported. It was €100 cheaper as I obtained a COC from Audi.

He said it was the last UK car he managed to get through before importation tax would be due (phew).

I have seen UK motorhomes with the hab door on the UK side on Spanish plates.

I spoke to the agent I used. He said we could take our UK (LHD) Motorhome over to spain as personal belongings, if we become resident.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back