Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
We have been looking at Globecar Roadscout R.

Absolutely love the layout. The build quality looks amazing. The storage space fantastic. It would fit on the drive and be a car replacement but, planning not to have it parked up for long☺️

We started to look at pre loved but, the price is so close to new that we think saving up a bit longer is best.
I really struggle trying to understand how something six years old can be 5k less than a new one!
Also, this used one we were advised, would not be ready for collection for three weeks!! 'as we're busy'
I think my direct comments concerning this time frame and the money involved were taken personally but, hey ho!!
We have been using dealers (our nearest SMC) to have a look at layout and size, I'd be interested in feedback on SMC service. If we decide to go with a new one, I'd like a good dealer. If they exist ☺️

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you intend to use it mostly in mainland Europe you might find it cheaper to by one (as a LHD Possl) in Europe. However, the current exchange rate won't help though if you aren't buying in the UK for a while then the exchange rate will impact on UK prices before to long.

There are quite a few threads on here about buying in Europe - @Lenny HB has done it probably most recently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I important our new UK spec RHD Globecar 600L Revolution from Germany in January from Dümo Riesenmobile, Dülmen.

Reactions: DBK
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We have had a Globecar Campscout for almost 4 years & are very pleased with it. Although it's a bit longer than the Roadscout we do use it as a car replacement.

There aren't many second hand ones on the market yet, so I think that's why prices are staying high. Their reputation is spreading & it's only in the last couple of years that significant numbers of new ones have been sold. We probably ought to trade ours in for a new one while the s/h prices remain high! Trouble is, some of the interior design 'improvements' they made in the years following ours weren't to our taste. Must have a look at the 2018 models, although feeling a bit skint at the moment. :D2:(

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We have a 2014 campscout as well and very pleased with it but have a hankering for an Eriba caravan so glad to hear about the s/h prices.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Julie,

We purchased our new Pilote from SMC a few weeks ago and I would have no hesitation in using them again.

If you do opt for a Globecar then I think you'll be making a very good choice. I've been around a few of their products and I've been mighty impressed with the build quality; my favourite being the rear twin high bed model.

All the best,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight
We were at SMC on 1st September. We were stood drooling as a new Pilot season being driven away.
Beautiful machines but, too long for our little drive.

We love our new Pilote, really we do, but it's certainly not as versatile as the twin rear bed version of the Globecar @ SMC.

The Globecar IMO is the right size to just about go anywhere so when the low profile coachbuilts get stuck somewhere then the Globecar will already be at it's destination with the sausages on the BBQ.

I'm really excited for you so good luck with your choice.

Regards,

Andrew

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Absolutely love the layout. The build quality looks amazing. The storage space fantastic. It would fit on the drive and be a car replacement but, planning not to have it parked up for long☺️

We started to look at pre loved but, the price is so close to new that we think saving up a bit longer is best.
I really struggle trying to understand how something six years old can be 5k less than a new one!
Also, this used one we were advised, would not be ready for collection for three weeks!! 'as we're busy'
I think my direct comments concerning this time frame and the money involved were taken personally but, hey ho!!
We have been using dealers (our nearest SMC) to have a look at layout and size, I'd be interested in feedback on SMC service. If we decide to go with a new one, I'd like a good dealer. If they exist ☺️

We collected our third Globecar from SMC last Friday, 1st September. In our view there is nothing to touch a Globecar, not even close!! SMC are great too, we can highly recommend them!

We have had two brand new Familyscout L's, the very best layout in our view, (but Globecar have stopped making them), and our new one is the Globestar 640 DK

OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Thank you for your reviews and opinions.
We both love the Globecar and, the lack of negative points has us believe, we've got it right. ☺️

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We bought our new Campscout in April this year and we're over the moon with it.
We also bought from SMC and our compressor fridge was faulty which was replaced with a new one quite quickly, but they are slow on 2 other things that I'm waiting for from day one.

John.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Apart from those reasons given above for high used values, another reason is that the quoted new price does not include any options and you will most likely need to add some options as have the purchasers of the used one. The options can add quite a bit to the purchase price.

OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Apart from those reasons given above for high used values, another reason is that the quoted new price does not include any options and you will most likely need to add some options as have the purchasers of the used one. The options can add quite a bit to the purchase price.

I had a look at the spec on some used vans last night. And you were correct, I guess we're looking for a bog standard with no extras then oh yes, and owned by an OCD cleaner like me.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I had a look at the spec on some used vans last night. And you were correct, I guess we're looking for a bog standard with no extras then oh yes, and owned by an OCD cleaner like me.

Julie/Charles,

If you're buying from SMC now then don't forget that it's the end of the season and they will want rid of existing stock before they start incurring high interest charges on the vans they bought, i.e. the vans in their showroom.

If you've not got a PX then I reckon that you've got a riggle room of between £2,000 and £4,000 off the forecourt price.

You'll be in the driving seat (within reason).

Good luck,

Andrew

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

On way back from our Europe trip called in to SMC to ask about the possibility of repairing a roof light, never expected they could do it as we were on way to Scotland. Two hours later job done. Whilst waiting looked at a Globecar and bought it. I have never had such good service from a mh dealer. On current experience I could not recommend them more highly.

OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
Wow
I am getting the impression that they are very good to deal with. As it's our nearest, can't believe how lucky we are.
Did you part ex or are you selling your current?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Wow
I am getting the impression that they are very good to deal with. As it's our nearest, can't believe how lucky we are.
Did you part ex or are you selling your current?
We are p/x and they gave us a fair deal, not brilliant, but not derisory, a fair deal. They are also doing some additions for us at very reasonable prices.
They are at the Lincoln Motorhome show so perhaps a visit to the show might be well worth your while, then you can compare prices and service offered.

OP
OP
J

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
I looked on their website today, as I do almost daily I saw that they have reserved our favourite one. and have sold a lot. We will look out for yours on the website

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
They gave us a great price verbally on our 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway against a Globecar Campscout with a few extras to be fitted.
We insured the Campscout at what we were told the cost would be, but on getting the van home and reading all the paperwork they had reduced their px by £4000 and reduced the Globecar by £4000, it worked out the same but devalued our Globecar by £4000 for insurance purposes.

John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back