I think we have found our Van (1 Viewer)

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there

We are going to have a look at a Swift Lifestyle 590rs 2007 face lift on Monday and we are pretty sure that its the one :)

Just wondering what past and present owners of swifts think and any advise or key areas to have a look at when viewing?

We are quite lucky as the van still has 18 months Marquis warrantee left to run and apparently it is transferable.

Thanks in advance

Paul

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:rolleyes:;)

You will find that the people that make fun have never had one we had a Swift kontiki 610 it was a lovely van well made we only sold it to downsize. Check it over, use a damp meter , we didn't have any damp , but any van no matter what make can have problems, make sure you have a warranty and if you are unhappy about anything go back and insist it is put right.

Good luck and enjoy motor homing.

I certainly would never make fun of someone who had a Swift motorhome, especially if it had problems.. they are no laughing matter .. I feel sorry when people come on here with tales of woe.. from whatever marque ..

Correct, I gave never owned a Swift motorhome nor any other British built van .. but have had many British caravans, and nearly all had damp problems. including a Swift ...so when it came to choosing a motorhome I bought a brand that has quality built in and doesn't have damp problems, and can never have them.. leaks may happen, I had a roof window leak, It was a simple repair.. but they will never cause rot simply because there is no timber in the construction..

Swift problems are legion .. there used to be a Swift group member on here just to reply to Swift problems.. .. as far as I know they have since left the forum..

On Fun there are countless threads with Swift problems.. example.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rotten-swift-dont-trust-damp-checks.46343/

"Any van can have problems" .. of course they can.. but most can be attributed to appliances which are common to all makes of vans.. it's the quality and type of coachwork that is the most important element when choosing a van.. that is where you need to look when purchasing.. not at the shiny fridge or sink.. these are all repairable or replaceable..

Most newbies, (and some not so newbies) , have little or no idea what lies under that shiny white skin.. Is it constructed like a garden shed .. or is it a laminated sandwich construction that is impervious to water .. or a full GRP body built like a boat.. which would you choose ?

there is a lot to learn and they best way is to listen to those who have owned them and in particular those who have had problems.. the information is out there .. ask and you will get plenty of advice..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all again you guys have been very helpful.

We drove down today to have a look and really liked it, there are a couple of things that we are going to look into then if they look good we will be buying it

The 12 year ingress and de-lamination warranty is through Marquis and is for as long as you keep up with servicing and habitation.

We had a look at the last habitation check that was done at marquis in March, the damp test on the shell ranged between from 10 to 14 and the floor was 14 to 19%. Does this sound overly damp? as I do know that all wood carries atmospheric moisture.

I done my one tests and four similar readings but whilst I was under the van I noticed a n area the size of a 50 pence piece where the ply had looked as it had been damaged slightly like it had been hit by a stone. I wonder if anyone has noticed any similar damage? The seller is going to take it to be under sealed or the like to protect the area.

Thank you again for all your advice and help

Paul

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If marquis offer a warranty, how good will they be actioning it??

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
10 to 14 and the floor was 14 to 19%. Does this sound overly damp?

10 -14 that is nothing to worry about.. quite normal .. 19% is on the verge .. further investigation may be prudent..

between 22 and 30 would indicate that there is a problem, and if not sorted quickly, then serious lasting damage is likely.

levels above 30% serious lasting damage has already been caused... run away ..

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The 12 year ingress and de-lamination warranty is through Marquis and is for as long as you keep up with servicing and habitation.
I assume that means that THEY have to do these ... bit like the prisoners having the keys to the cells! I'd rather have a van which I can take where I want to than be tied into using the same one all the time and their extremely high prices ...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
If marquis offer a warranty, how good will they be actioning it??

This is true, but this goes for all people who offer warranty.

Have people been having problems with marquis?
10 -14 that is nothing to worry about.. quite normal .. 19% is on the verge .. further investigation may be prudent..

between 22 and 30 would indicate that there is a problem, and if not sorted quickly, then serious lasting damage is likely.

levels above 30% serious lasting damage has already been caused... run away ..

Sound about right thank you, the guy did say that habitation was done in March and was one of the wettest on record.

Is the damp readings taken on the external of the floor or internal? As when I went round the internal with my damp meter I was getting readings very low and up too 14%

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
I assume that means that THEY have to do these ... bit like the prisoners having the keys to the cells! I'd rather have a van which I can take where I want to than be tied into using the same one all the time and their extremely high prices ...

They don't have to be carried out by marquis but the seller has had them do it. But I know what you mean.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is the damp readings taken on the external of the floor or internal?

internal, in particular, the joints between the floor and walls.. this will mean poking your head into lockers and under the sink.. pulling carpet or lino up.. but if you are that close you can usually smell it..

also look for floor delamintation . particularly at hab door, beside sink and cooker.. feel if its' spongy by pressing up and down with your foot .. not terminal .. but will need repairing by injecting a floor sealer .. can be bought on eBay..

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They don't have to be carried out by marquis but the seller has had them do it. But I know what you mean.
I've just been reading the document I linked to above and on page 13, no 3 it says it just has to be done by an NCC approved workshop which is good ...

BUTTTTTTTTTT ... I've just read that on page 13, no 5 it says that the guarantee is NOT transferable .... :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just been reading the document I linked to above and on page 13, no 3 it says it just has to be done by an NCC approved workshop which is good ...

BUTTTTTTTTTT ... I've just read that on page 13, no 5 it says that the guarantee is NOT transferable .... :(

Thanks for this minxy girl

So by the looks of it the people from marquis are either barefaced liars or they don't have a clue what products they are selling as we have spoken to them and for a "small" admin fee of £250 they will transfer it .

These sellers and dealers are really getting me down now.

I'm getting to the point where I will just get a caravan.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm getting to the point where I will just get a caravan.

nooooooooo don't give up.. honestly there are good dealers and great vans just waiting to be bought

have you looked at JohnsCoss Motorhomes.. .. he is a dealer and a member on here .. excellent reputation.. one of the good guys @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/pre-owned-motorhomes.html

Pre-owned motorhomes are fully serviced and warranted.

We hope that by thoroughly checking each motorhome before you collect it that you will enjoy trouble free holidays, but just in case an unforeseen problem occurs, to ensure further peace of mind all of our pre-owned motorhomes are supplied with a twelve month comprehensive warranty on both the mechanical and the conversion element.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
nooooooooo don't give up.. honestly there are good dealers and great vans just waiting to be bought

have you looked at JohnsCoss Motorhomes.. .. he is a dealer and a member on here .. excellent reputation.. one of the good guys @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/pre-owned-motorhomes.html

Pre-owned motorhomes are fully serviced and warranted.

We hope that by thoroughly checking each motorhome before you collect it that you will enjoy trouble free holidays, but just in case an unforeseen problem occurs, to ensure further peace of mind all of our pre-owned motorhomes are supplied with a twelve month comprehensive warranty on both the mechanical and the conversion element.

I know I don't want to give up but if I went into how some people have treated us it would go for the longest post award. I know it's just bad luck but we do ask on the phone beforehand if there are any issues big or small so we can make an informed decision wether we travel that far or not as I previously posted we are from Norwich and nothing is close And it takes most of the day. Then only to get there and you get "oh we forgot to mention" just dropped in to the small talk.

I think if the seller will have a new damp test and the readings drop we would be interested even without the watranty as buying private you don't normally get it offered!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't give up but don't just rush to buy either ... the layout you're looking at is quite common so if this one doesn't end up being 'right' for you there will be others.

Don't forget to ask the seller to get that all important weighbridge doc though!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just a quick update the seller has taken the van to an independent caravan/motor home repairers and the have found two areas of concern that they said they would usually monitor but the seller has insisted that any repairs are to be carried before we purchase it So we have just got to wait for a week or so and we can go and pick her up.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just a quick update the seller has taken the van to an independent caravan/motor home repairers and the have found two areas of concern that they said they would usually monitor but the seller has insisted that any repairs are to be carried before we purchase it So we have just got to wait for a week or so and we can go and pick her up.
That's good news enjoy your new MH and I'm sure your family will have loads of fun!
This forum is here if you need help but also for fun and advice!!let us know how you get on!!(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's good news enjoy your new MH and I'm sure your family will have loads of fun!
This forum is here if you need help but also for fun and advice!!let us know how you get on!!(y)

Thanks, we are really looking forward to it as we haven't had a holiday in 12 years

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks, we are really looking forward to it as we haven't had a holiday in 12 years
Hope all goes well where are you going for your first trip?
We slept in it on the drive and tried everything out so we didn't look novices!! But still did on site I'm sure!
Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back