I think my van is trying to bankrupt me......batteries (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm starting to wish I'd bought a cheaper van for my adventure as this one seems hell bent on sucking every bit of cash out me before I leave.
I'm not sure now if I have a problem with my batteries ....ive not been well the last few days so I've been parked up at my mum's ( stomach bugs not good in camper) but still staying in the van at night, I go out and flick van heating on for a couple of hours at night before going to bed. Did the same last night around 10pm, battery was at 89% At 10pm , went out to bed at 11.30 and the heating was off van control panel has alarms going off saying charge charge battery showing 0%
No other electrics on and it's the alde system so only the pump on electric
As far as I'm aware the batteries were replaced with the last 2 years according to previous owner. 2x 140ah
I noticed a couple of loose clamps on them this morning and have tightened them up and I have it plugged in to charge up just now and I'm hoping they aren't knackered.
Just replaced 6 tyres and it's getting a full mechanical service and full habitation service done on the 11th...youd think it would be happy

It's getting no bloody Christmas present anyway grrrr

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Sorry to hear about your medical problems: never a fun situation. There's been a bug going round our family for about a month: we'll probably get it for Xmas, having avoided it so far!

The batteries sounds a little worrying. Do you have EHU at Mum's or are you charging the batteries separately eg in the kitchen?
IF EHU, are all of the circuits working? I've been known to knock one of the trip switches off whilst removing articles from the wardrobe, where our mains switch is situated.

I bought a new battery for my van 8y ago and it is still OK. I think most folk estimate 5y is reasonable expectancy. Good luck with the tightened clamps.

Gordon

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Fingers crossed that it's just the connection.

That said, if the previous owner hasn't looked after them properly then 2-years is a very long time for a battery to maintain its capability.

Do you know if your charging system is up to the job.

Regards,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Even though the batteries are only 2 years old you dont know how how they have been used / abused.. So Ditto what @Blue Knight has said.. Plus if they are going that low now it does sound like they are kaput :( or certainly wont be lasting long in this weather.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sorry to read of your woes tam. . Both you and your van seem in need of some tlc. ..
It does sound like you may have an issue with your batteries..
It' not long ago I remember you doubting your solar been capable of charging your batteries .. was the conclusion to that not that your batteries might be duff..
Be nice if you could find somewhere you could trust to check your batteries and charging systems..
It is critical that your batteries get charged asap after any use... if you want them to last.. if that hasn' happened before you got the van they may well have been damaged..
Hope you can get it sorted..
Andy.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah the stomach bug is really annoying can't keep anything in :(

I've got the van hooked up at my mum's at the minute first time it's been hooked up in months I normally survive of engine charging , it just seems a little strange for both batteries to just go kaput at once in the space of a couple of hours so I'm hoping it's not the case. In a normal evening I'd have lights and tv on for maybe 4 or 5 hours and the heating for a couple of hours and If starting at 100% that would normally drop to around 90/ 92 whereas last night that went from 89% to 0 in 90 mins which seems really odd.
But I guess I can only see how it fairs over the next couple of days once it's fully charged again and worse case it's another 3 or 400 quid for a pair of new batteries.
I suppose it's better happening now than just after I arrive in Spain.
Heating has a fault I need investigated too as it seems to trip after I switch it off and needs resetting each time before I can switch it back on , but I'll have that looked at when it's in for habitation service.

I bet if I'd bought a 5grand van I'd have had no issues

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If there was a problem with the battery connection post that would explain your current (sic) and previous issues.

Now that you’ve sorted the connection issue hopefully all will now be well.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
it just seems a little strange for both batteries to just go kaput at once in the space of a couple of hours so I'm hoping it's not the case.
If one battery has died it will drag the other one down with it. You need to seperate the batteries and charge and test each one individually.
If it is due to the loose connection and they weren't getting charged, taking them down as low as you have even if they survive their life will be considerably shortened.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with others about connection. Give them a really good charge and see how you fare. Get well soon.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If there was a problem with the battery connection post that would explain your current (sic) and previous issues.

Now that you’ve sorted the connection issue hopefully all will now be well.

Ian
Yeah I've tightened everything up fully now and it's charging on hookup...currently around 10% I'll see if it does the same tonight and if so I think a pair of new batteries is on the cards which is annoying as the previous owner did insist both leisure batteries and the main battery had been changed, but then he told me a few things I've come to realise may not have been entirely true.
Whoever buys this van from me after my years adventure is going to be lucky anyway I think it will have been fully rebuilt by then lol

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I normally survive of engine charging
.that' not really good enough tam unless you have a dedicated battery to battery charger fitted
And as long as your batteries are paralleled one duff one will be the same as two... to they would need splitting and testing separately. .
Andy

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
But I guess I can only see how it fairs over the next couple of days once it's fully charged again and worse case it's another 3 or 400 quid for a pair of new batteries.

If they do need replacing then you may wish to opt for a couple of the Varta LFD90 batteries which should cost under £200 for the pair.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If one battery has died it will drag the other one down with it. You need to seperate the batteries and charge and test each one individually.
If it is due to the loose connection and they weren't getting charged, taking them down as low as you have even if they survive their life will be considerably shortened.
They seem to have been charging no probs off the engine up to nearly 100% everyday unless Im parked up for more than the one day then they've been down as low as 70% over 3 days but always back up to 100% once driven a few hours.
Last night was the first time this has happened that they went to 0% which is why I was a little confused.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
.that' not really good enough tam unless you have a dedicated battery to battery charger fitted
And as long as your batteries are paralleled one duff one will be the same as two... to they would need splitting and testing separately. .
Andy
I'm guessing it has that charger fitted Andy as when the engine is running it's putting in 17+amps according to the control panel and normally will have the batteries back up to 100% within maybe 2 or 3 hours driving

I don't have a battery charger or anything to remove and charge them out of the van so I figured I'll just see how they are after being hooked up today and whether they discharge completely again. If they do I reckon they are knackered and I'll replace them now.
If they manage to keep going for the next week or so till it's in having it's service done I'll ask the garage to test them thoroughly for me then.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As Lenny has just put, my money would be on one of them has failed

You have just leapt right into my world BTW, with very similar issues, but don't read back over my history it will really depress you o_O

When we bought ours the batteries immediately failed, I bought 2 new swapped them, then found one of the old ones had died totally under 2V the other still had 13V but the bad one appeared to kill them both

Similar happened again this year, 4 years on, this time I removed the one bad one and used it with just one for the year, including trip to Norway (y), but have now just swapped for 2 brand new gels

You may also need to check the charger is correctly set for the type of battery (y)

Good luck :)(y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Often batteries have a label with a date code, may give you an idea if & when they were replaced
Yeah I'm gonna go look for that...from what I can see they are explorer 140ah which I've seen on eBay for around £120 each so not the most expensive batteries.
Can't see a date code without lifting them out so I'll do that.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
another thought, something I have learnt in with other recent issues on mine, if you have the Reich control system, they are only rated for a single battery and if two batteries are fitted there should be an auxiliary charger fitted

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As Lenny has just put, my money would be on one of them has failed

You have just leapt right into my world BTW, with very similar issues, but don't read back over my history it will really depress you o_O

When we bought ours the batteries immediately failed, I bought 2 new swapped them, then found one of the old ones had died totally under 2V the other still had 13V but the bad one appeared to kill them both

Similar happened again this year, 4 years on, this time I removed the one bad one and used it with just one for the year, including trip to Norway (y), but have now just swapped for 2 brand new gels

You may also need to check the charger is correctly set for the type of battery (y)

Good luck :)(y)
The joy of motor homes...when I bought mine I had viewed a hymer tag on a 2003 at 20k which I'd considered buying and thought no I'll buy the newer van as it won't need as much maintenance for the 18 months ill own it lol ......oh hindsight :p

Still I like my van and hopefully I won't have any more issues with it once these things are resolved

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Northernraider...
I am assuming that you HAVE topped all your batteries up above the plates with distilled water ??????
It MUST at least be checked prior to taking more desperate measures ! ! ! !
VERY sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs..... But easily overlooked....
Good luck.
Mitch.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just thought I would add that if the batteries are fully charged immediately after allowing to go fully flat, there is a very good chance they will be fully recovered. Don't be too quick to throw more money at this problem untill you have established as fact one or more batteries are goosed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yeah I'm gonna go look for that...from what I can see they are explorer 140ah which I've seen on eBay for around £120 each so not the most expensive batteries.
Can't see a date code without lifting them out so I'll do that.
Had a look at the info on them, they claim to be a leisure battery but in their blurb they quote this "Great for engine starts too with over 800 cold cranking amps." so they ain't no leisure battery, probably done well to suvive 2 years. Alpha who seem to be the main suppliers say 3 year warranty could be worth looking through the info with the van for a receipt but would you want the same again.

Also your van I would have expected to have Gel batteries as the OEM fit the Explorers are wet cells has the charger been set correctly as on the Gel setting it will cook them nicely. Another point have they been vented as Gels wouldn't have had a vent pipe to the outside world but you need it with wet cells.

If it was me I wouldn't bother messing around and just buy a couple of decent batteries

another thought, something I have learnt in with other recent issues on mine, if you have the Reich control system, they are only rated for a single battery and if two batteries are fitted there should be an auxiliary charger fitted
Only really a problem if you are constantly charging them from flat. I have 3 batteries in my van but didn't bother with the aux charger as 99% of the time my batteries are charged from solar.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Had a look at the info on them, they claim to be a leisure battery but in their blurb they quote this "Great for engine starts too with over 800 cold cranking amps." so they ain't no leisure battery, probably done well to suvive 2 years. Alpha who seem to be the main suppliers say 3 year warranty could be worth looking through the info with the van for a receipt but would you want the same again.

Also your van I would have expected to have Gel batteries as the OEM fit the Explorers are wet cells has the charger been set correctly as on the Gel setting it will cook them nicely. Another point have they been vented as Gels wouldn't have had a vent pipe to the outside world but you need it with wet cells.

If it was me I wouldn't bother messing around and just buy a couple of decent batteries

Only really a problem if you are constantly charging them from flat. I have 3 batteries in my van but didn't bother with the aux charger as 99% of the time my batteries are charged from solar.
Yeah I noticed the 3 year warranty I'm searching through the paperwork now to see if I can find info. I've also emailed the previous owner
As far as I can see there are vents in the battery compartment for them , sadly I've no idea what the originals were. And I can't see dates on them either.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi Northernraider...
I am assuming that you HAVE topped all your batteries up above the plates with distilled water ??????
It MUST at least be checked prior to taking more desperate measures ! ! ! !
VERY sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs..... But easily overlooked....
Good luck.
Mitch.
Maintenance free completely sealed units apparently ...theres no caps or anything to top them up

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yeah I noticed the 3 year warranty I'm searching through the paperwork now to see if I can find info. I've also emailed the previous owner
As far as I can see there are vents in the battery compartment for them , sadly I've no idea what the originals were. And I can't see dates on them either.
Fairly certain the originals would have been Gels, in Germany they are not allowed to fit wet cells in the Hab area.
Have you checked your charger settings?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you do decide you need to buy replacement Leisure batteries, have a look at this. Make sure your charger is set up for the right type. The batteries you have fitted are Lead Acid, so I would replace with Lead Acid. Also, make sure you onboard charger is capable of charging a battery bank as big as 280 AH. (You may want to consider 2 x 110AH batteries, a very common size that many users select.)
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...ctical-advice/choosing-a-ncc-verified-battery

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fairly certain the originals would have been Gels, in Germany they are not allowed to fit wet cells in the Hab area.
Have you checked your charger settings?
Looking back through previous habitation service invoices they have notes about battery acid being low back in 2011 so I know it had wet batteries back then but no way of knowing if those were originals or not, it would seem the first owner didn't keep receipts as everything prior to 2011 is not there. But every from then is.
Unfortunately there's no receipt in here for the current batteries but I think they were changed in 2015 as the van service from then says batteries had low readings etc

I've just dug out the instructions for the shaudt control panel which apparently sets the charger so I'll go check the settings just now....pretty sure when the last owner showed me it that it was set at 280 but I'll go see

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yep the charger is set at 280 and going by the control panel it seems ok.
According to the instructions it also claims the control panel can detect a faulty battery as it monitors it over a certain amount of charge sequels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back