I think most people know this but just in case... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Reading that again.... It looks like you can SORN a car left on the road as long as it is insured... :doh:

I always thought you could NOT get insurance if your vehicle was not taxed...:blush:

Some one put me out of my misery...:banghead:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The article is poorly written
“As long as you have off-street or private parking, you can inform the DVLA with a SORN. That then means that your vehicle is officially declared as off-road. You won't have to pay road tax and you can cancel your insurance.”
I don’t think that it is wise to cancel your insurance. Definitely can only sorn if parked off road and not driven,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
SORN Statutory Off Road Notice. The vehicle must not be kept or driven on the public highway

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think the expression “not taxed” pre dates the SORN process. Insurance is fine as long as the vehicle is either tax paid and on the road, or on a SORN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
(quote)..
Parking outside your house is of course allowed, but only if your vehicle has the proper insurance in place.

Now USwitch spokesperson Florence Codjoe has issued an urgent warning to motorists about the issue, reports The Express.

And she said it is a legal necessity to have insurance if your car is parked on the road. (Unquote)

I think that bit is very confusing..:whatthe:

I think we need a good solicitor to comment on the write up...:winky:

Deleted User
I don't think there is any confusion, if it is on the 'road', public highway whether being driven or not it needs a current VED.
If it is in front of your house and not on the road it can be SORN'd

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The clue is in the name SORN.
Statutory OFF ROAD Notice.

You can not park (or use) an untaxed or uninsured vehicle on the public highway

If you want to get picky, you might get away with driving your insured but SORN'ed Land Rover on a bridal path registered as a BOAT, but even that I suspect is technically illegal.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just read this. =

It`s as I thought but to an idiot it could read not used parked on a road can be sorn as long as it has insurance...

Which in my silly little mind makes sense...:giggler:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can insure anything, at a price.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I don't think there is any confusion, if it is on the 'road', public highway whether being driven or not it needs a current VED.
If it is in front of your house and not on the road it can be SORN'd

The front of my house, like millions of UK houses built in towns, is the public road.
It needs to be re-worded for those that don't have 100 meter In & Out drives.
If it is in front of your house parked on your land and not on the road it can be SORN'd

Deleted User
The vehicle can be SORN'd and still insured which would be the wise course of action.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Around the corner from us are a horsebox and old motorhome. Both look like they haven't had an mot for years so presumably aren't taxed. I wonder if they are not registered anymore and if that is a get out after all whats the definition of a vehicle. If you have a car with no engine in it is it a car or just a piece of metal or a trailer in effect?. I'm not suggesting that its worth taking the engine out to save paying road tax!!! It just puzzled me. I think the owner has been reported to the police by a busybody ( both look like long term projects and he looks like an ageing hippy......hope he isn't on here!!!!) but the police aren't interested and I can't see he's doing and harm.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Dispite what others have said Mo, you CAN leave your vehicle on the road AND declare SORN...... Its just not legal but there's nothing to stop you. .
Oh god,don’t confuse him even more than he is already. It’s getting late,soon be bed time,the old brain is jiggered!

Mr Old Mo,the clue is in the words “off” and “road” ;) 😂:rofl:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If a vehicle is kept on a public road, a public road being a road which the public have access and can include such as supermarket access roads & carparks, then the vehicle must have MOT, VED and insurance whether its driven or not.

The vehicle is taking a portion of the road so must comply..... Put it on a trailer in the same place and it doesn't need anything.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
the vehicle must have MOT, VED and insurance

Except when it is MOT and VED exempt, you will still need to apply for the VED but it won't cost anything and although you don't need an MOT it still has to be in a roadworthy condition, and of course insured. You can apply for exemption once your vehicle is more then 40 years old, so currently first registered prior to 1980 and subsequently not substantially modified ie new chassis etc. .

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
No wonder we are confused. The DVLA have informed me that my V5 is wrong. My PHEV has been put in the wrong class. It is 6 years old and they have just spotted it. Still don’t have to pay RFT though.

Deleted User
The front of my house, like millions of UK houses built in towns, is the public road.
It needs to be re-worded for those that don't have 100 meter In & Out drives.
If it is in front of your house parked on your land and not on the road it can be SORN'd

The article quoted is from the Daily Mirror, not a source for reliable information perhaps, or any newspaper or media outlet for that matter.

A few seconds and a google search will find the .gov website that is perfectly clear, unfortunately I can't post the link.

"Your vehicle is off the road if you do not keep or use it on a public road".........can't make it any clearer than that........apart from defining 'public road' perhaps.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
There you go.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your vehicle is off the road if you do not keep or use it on a public road".........can't make it any clearer than that........apart from defining 'public road' perhaps.
Well, that's an easy one..... A public road is ANYWHERE the public have vehicular access.... That includes private land open to the public (pubs, shops, carparks)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back