LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Got to go back for a test drive, but I may have found a MH…..it's an oldy but goodie, I hope! An Auto trail cheyenne 630se on an 03 plate with 30k.

Now I am wondering if I am going to have trouble with the gear box….I seem to recall their being problems with the Fiat on this age, with reversing? I'm sure he said it was a 2.8 JTD, does that sound right? (Obviously, I'll be double checking all this!)

Any comments/tips/hints (good or bad) welcome :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Burstner is 03 reg, has the 2.8HTD engine and has done slightly less mileage. No problems with reversing.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with the later models which had reverse judder when first released?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nowt wrong with old vans , in fact most are better built than some new ones, have you got someone who knows about running gear that you could get to have a look but basicly if it's running ok now chances are it will be ok for years:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Our Burstner is 03 reg, has the 2.8HTD engine and has done slightly less mileage. No problems with reversing.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with the later models which had reverse judder when first released?

Oh that's ok then….perhaps I had better leave the mechanical side of things to the hubby - Thanks :winky:

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Nowt wrong with old vans , in fact most are better built than some new ones, have you got someone who knows about running gear that you could get to have a look but basically if it's running ok now chances are it will be ok for years:thumb:

If we definitely go for it, then we will have someone look over it for us.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Rosie, a 2003 model in the motorhome world is quite a youngster, check for damp and the payload, and the layout is one you can happily live with. Good Luck :thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are you buying from a dealer or private?

Dealer you will have some come back, private none (very little at best anyway)

Also private beware of test driving, you probably will not be covered on your insurance policy, best to check first

No idea on your model, as always with any MH be very wary of damp, ideally have it damp checked if you do not see a very trustable recent damp test report before buying

It is a steep learning curve and more than a bit scary, handing over loads of hard earnt for what is really a van, typically priced at 10x or more than the equivalent van, albeit with much less mileage!!

Deep breath, look at it like it is for somebody else not you, I am far more critical when buying with somebody else for them

Then get out and enjoy, something is bound to be wrong or need fixing, or you are very lucky, most things are much more easily fixed than I thought

As long as the engine is sound and it has no damp, you are probably sorted

:thumb:

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hi Rosie, a 2003 model in the motorhome world is quite a youngster, check for damp and the payload, and the layout is one you can happily live with. Good Luck :thumb:

Thanks….That's reassuring to hear :Smile: I've changed my mind on layouts several times as there always seems to be a compromise….Ideally the 696G (garage) would be our ideal but I'm starting to realise that the living space is more important for comfort. Having hired a few, it's given us a good idea on what we can cope with.

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Are you buying from a dealer or private?

Dealer you will have some come back, private none (very little at best anyway)

Also private beware of test driving, you probably will not be covered on your insurance policy, best to check first

No idea on your model, as always with any MH be very wary of damp, ideally have it damp checked if you do not see a very trustable recent damp test report before buying

It is a steep learning curve and more than a bit scary, handing over loads of hard earnt for what is really a van, typically priced at 10x or more than the equivalent van, albeit with much less mileage!!

Deep breath, look at it like it is for somebody else not you, I am far more critical when buying with somebody else for them

Then get out and enjoy, something is bound to be wrong or need fixing, or you are very lucky, most things are much more easily fixed than I thought

As long as the engine is sound and it has no damp, you are probably sorted

:thumb:

Thanks for that. It's through a dealer….not sure if they have a good rep or not but will do some digging around on the t'internet ;)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Check V E R Y C A R E F U L L Y for damp, only yesterday I had a 2002 AT in for service and hab inspection and ended the day with the unpleasant task of advising the new owners about the extensive damp in the nearside wall of the motorhome. The entire length of the wall from cab to rear wall at the top and just below the lounge window in the nearside rear. In fact there were clearly visible signs of water having run down the wall to the side of that window but behind the curtain so not onticed unless you moved the curtain. I hate to say it but on a 10 plus year old British built motorhome you're probably looking at a 50/50 gamble on whether its got damp or not.

D.

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Check V E R Y C A R E F U L L Y for damp, only yesterday I had a 2002 AT in for service and hab inspection and ended the day with the unpleasant task of advising the new owners about the extensive damp in the nearside wall of the motorhome. The entire length of the wall from cab to rear wall at the top and just below the lounge window in the nearside rear. In fact there were clearly visible signs of water having run down the wall to the side of that window but behind the curtain so not onticed unless you moved the curtain. I hate to say it but on a 10 plus year old British built motorhome you're probably looking at a 50/50 gamble on whether its got damp or not.

D.

:Eeek: Is it reasonable to ask the dealer for it to come with a new hab inspection? They do them onsite, I think. ..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
:Eeek: Is it reasonable to ask the dealer for it to come with a new hab inspection? They do them onsite, I think. ..

Yes, the dealer can get one done - just get it all in writing. Also a good idea to pay for an independent as well....... there may just be a difference in the two results.

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hi, is the dealer on here listurl]http://www.motorhome-dealer-reviews.com/category/newused/[/url]

If so check out the reviews, most do a habitation check but might not see everything :winky: when selling the van, but they will pick it up next year. :Doh:

:Smile: Bob.

Thanks for that....Unfortunately they're not on the list. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.....:Blush:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for that....Unfortunately they're not on the list. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.....:Blush:

name them here, you are only asking for opinions not slating them, somebody is bound to have used them

we can all have a nosey at the van you fancy as well :thumb:

OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
It's Broadland Leisure....I went to look at the AT 635 but it had already gone. The 630 is new in so I saw it before the prep work is finished....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are they only in Norwich?

No 630

Broken Link Removed

may not be listed yet, I am not local to you so have no feedback on the dealers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Are they only in Norwich?

No 630

Broken Link Removed

may not be listed yet, I am not local to you so have no feedback on the dealers

sorry, was meant to say that it's new in and not on they're website yet ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back