I think I have found a good Travel Insurance site... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My annual policy had run out so I contacted my normal agent who told me they now use AllClear as their recommended supplier. I read their reviews then went to their website. Really good site, was able to do everything including booking and paying. They e-mailed the policy straight away.
AllClear appear to be a comparison sight as it came back with a number of quotes including their own.

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
Hi try AIB insurance i used them for the first time very good not a bad price

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Just try to find one when you are over 70. And with a 27 year old van.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
If we may be allowed to piggy back on this thread, all we want from travel insurance is the medical aspect but we are forced by the companies to pay for cancellation and baggage charges that apply to "normal" travellers but as motor homers we do not need. Is there any company out there that does medical cover only?

The Tincas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We've got travel insurance through Nationwide Terry is 72 . 180days travel with no return booked.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I just got some online comparison quotes with All Clear (I have mild asthma). They're certainly the cheapest quotes I've seen so far and I've searched via quite a few companies.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
@Tincataylor - you raise a good point. We also only want the medical cover. I think next time I'll call the insurer and see if they'll remove everything but the medical cover from their policy and see what happens.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Mine asked me if I wanted baggage allowance and cancellation. I said no.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Nationwide wanted 180 from me for 1 month
My age 73 so just got my ehic card and crossed fingers

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just try to find one when you are over 70. And with a 27 year old van.
Probably easier than finding one for a 27 year old with a 70 year old van.
I certainly understand that point @cruiser.
I've got mine included with my Nationwide bank account. World wide travel and European breakdown cover included plus things like mobile phone insurance and costs £13.00 a month which works out at £156.00 a year

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Probably easier than finding one for a 27 year old with a 70 year old van.
I certainly understand that point @cruiser.
I've got mine included with my Nationwide bank account. World wide travel and European breakdown cover included plus things like mobile phone insurance and costs £13.00 a month which works out at £156.00 a year

When I declared medical conditions with Nationwide I was put through to sales who wanted to know what tablets I was taking and wanted an additional £30 for every type. These included Statin and aspirin tablets that are defined by my doctor as primary prevention so not taken to cover an existing condition.

Patrick

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks for that @EX51SSS . We get our medical cover from Barclays . But they will not cover the van to old.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks for that @EX51SSS . We get our medical cover from Barclays . But they will not cover the van to old.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When I declared medical conditions with Nationwide I was put through to sales who wanted to know what tablets I was taking and wanted an additional £30 for every type. These included Statin and aspirin tablets that are defined by my doctor as primary prevention so not taken to cover an existing condition.

Patrick

Aha - but - this demonstrates quite clearly that you are considered by the medical profession as being at risk of high chol (ergo at risk of strokes) and heart trouble/strokes. Try adding BP medication to the list plus Insulin (clearly going to drop dead imminently) and Thyroid trouble and we're talking 4 figures. And that was not only excluding ALL the pre-existing - but excluding the new thing if any of the pre-existing things made the new thing worse or 'more difficult to treat'! Utterly useless for me, since say I have peritonitis - or anything needing a GA - THEY have to treat my diabetes whilst I'm anaesthetised.

Try having any type of cancer ......

Hence, if either of us felt rough enough to need a doctor then we'd pretty instantly come home. If we have an accident that involved being taken to A&E then that's exactly where EHIC comes in! We have 3 middle aged 'kids' who could drive the moho and could quite easily pay their expenses to do so, plus the costs of any accommodation for any of us. It wouldn't exactly be easy to pay for an Air Ambulance of course - but could actually be done.

You have to weigh up the pros and cons and be aware of what it costs before making decisions.

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Aha - but - this demonstrates quite clearly that you are considered by the medical profession as being at risk of high chol (ergo at risk of strokes) and heart trouble/strokes.

I think it demonstrates quite clearly that they are out to rip me off for as much as they can possibly get :)

Patrick

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
You have to weigh up the pros and cons and be aware of what it costs before making decisions.

I have and that's why I use a different company that quotes for genuine pre-existing conditions, which as it happens DON'T impact on the premium (y).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have and that's why I use a different company that quotes for genuine pre-existing conditions, which as it happens DON'T impact on the premium (y).

Well some do count and some don't of course - but it all depends on how intelligent the company's flow-chart for assessing such things, is. Or rather whether it was designed by someone with proper medical knowledge!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Found this company very good:
International Travel and Healthcare Limited, West House, 46 High Street, Orpington, Kent BR6 0JQ Tel: 01689 892 228 Fax: 01689 892 210.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +

Patrick
Thanks for that Patrick.

I was going to call them for a quote for pre existing conditions but, as I take 7 tabs a day, 2 preventative, I think I'll stick with All Clear who I use ATM

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think you will find that most, if not all insurance company's expect you to use your EHIC in europe for emergency treatment. That is what I have read in the small print on the last two policies I have had so will not take anymore out when in Europe alone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back