I see some Steam Enthusiasts on here! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
SNIP
What paints have you used John. I know some people recommend Phoenix Paints with there etch primer. They have a good choice of colours from all the companies, road and rail.
SNIP

I tested my boiler with a gas torch the first time.
I started by using Phoenix paints, and they claim that their colours are a close match to the originals. However, I didn't get on with the paint as I found it difficult to tread the path between matte, satin and gloss finish, all obtainable when using paint from the same tin! Distance off and ambient temperature made a huge difference. For that reason I now use 2k paint, mixed to my paint spec: e.g. the Grass Green is a RAL colour code 6010.
John

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The Stirling Single loco is now finished. I might even finish the tender this week! Dreweatts Auction House beckons...
20200829_154624.jpg
20200829_154636.jpg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Looking good John. If I could afford a loco so nicely finished as you’re Single I wouldn’t want run it on steam. It’s worthy of a show case. Youre efforts will be worth it at auction.
The boiler is sat in the cab of the Clayton now with some of the pipes connected. The drier coil fits now it’s shortened and the regulator and manifold are fitted. After I have checked things on steam I will lift the boiler back out to paint the cab and sort any faults found.
I have altered the pipe run for the feed water heater. Now the bypass valve returns water to the tank before the heater. Apparently injectors don’t like warm water.
Wet bank holidays are a good reason to be in the workshop.More pipe fitting tomorrow maybe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The first steam test went well up to a point. Pressure testing the boiler doesn’t prove the fittings hence a little problem today.
I made the top and bottom fittings for the water gauge from hex bronze I bought rather than using brass. As the boiler warmed up I thought the gauge glass was leaking slightly. On closer inspection the top fitting was leaking in several places from tiny pin pricks. The bronze was porous !!!!!! .
I remember being short of material for the top fitting but found what appeared to be a short length of bronze in my stock I inherited from my dad. I did buy some more bronze hex for stock so I set to and made another top fitting. I now have 2” of silver solder wire left so that’s my next thing to order.
Another minor leak is the water pump gland. That was a simple matter of tightening the gland nuts a little.
Further testing tomorrow, maybe I will get to the point of running the engine this time.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The first steam test went well up to a point. Pressure testing the boiler doesn’t prove the fittings hence a little problem today.
SNIP

Hi Dave, and I have never encountered such a problem before now. My first thought was that you could have inherited some sintered bronze oilite material, but even that should not be porous! I'm glad you've got it sorted now.
Remember to always look after your nuts!
John

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have had the problem before but it was in a piece of cast iron I was making bearings boxes for my shunter with. The cast iron came from sash weights. A house the size of mum and dads provided two weights per window and there was a lot of windows.
I thought it was just a blow hole but cutting the bar in two it was like an aero inside. We used the same iorn for bits of the Allchin dad built.
Any bronze or brass would have been for bearings in his clocks so this wouldn’t have been a problem being porous I suppose. Clocks don’t run fast.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The shuttle valve with an "o" ring instead of a ball works. I had to slightly countersink the seat for the "o" ring a little. I need another two now so after our weekend away I will soon alter the others.
The safety valves have a pipe up the side of the chimney to keep the blow off steam out of the cab. I need to think how to adapt these safety valves I have found. In theory the pipes ned to be big enough not to restrict the safety valve blow off pressure. Any thoughts any one?.
The real test will of coarse be under steam. I can check the safety valves settings then.
Once the steam exits the boiler it expands exponentially, so generally if you are piping it away, it should be a big bore pipe?. In full size practice any pipes where several times the cross section of the Safety Valve "lid". Some had a pilot valve which triggered the main valve. "Hi-Lift" (Me, I will have to look out my "southern`s" "Marine Boilers" for a refresher I think?).

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Trial assembly of the completed units today. The photos of any Stirling can never do them justice. By the way folks, this is what I look like!
View attachment 422190
John are you *flying low* or is it an unfortunate angle!

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
The farther in law as a narrow gauge loco for sale if anyone would be interested, it’s all in pieces at the moment he just doesn’t have the health to do it.

Not sure of the model but I know it was used at a belton house about 25 years ago on their track.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The Sterling looks as I remember No1 in York. The first time I went to York my Grandad took me on the train. Being on the east side of Manchester we could get there without needing to change trains.
At that age all the locos looked huge. The Sterling was special. It was nice colours and lots of shiny brass. Standing on that footplate started my love all things steam.
Strange as it might be but thats what I though you would look like. I might figure out this sending pictures and scare every one with a picture of self.
The Clayton has not moved on much for a couple of days. Issues of the domestic nature have distracted me recently. Management is away next week so I will have full shifts in there with only food and drinks breaks to distract me.
As a change I might have a go the ash pan next.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I managed a couple of days in the workshop whilst management was away so I have made progress. The hinge for the ash pan took a bit of thinking.
On a loco or traction engine the fire box being square makes the ash pan a normal shape. The Clayton being an upright boiler means the ashpan has to match the foundation ring and hinge at the back. There is no damper door. Lowering the front of the ash pan regulates the air under the grate.
Tapping the foundation ring 8BA was a bit of a challenge, but with care it went ok.
Next will be the latch for the front of the grate when it arrives. I have already made the latch and the hinge so more 8BA tapping.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello. John Barrett ,
A rather unusual question for you,if I may please........

Our eldest grandson is 7. Early days,but at the moment he shows great promise in practical matters rather than academics. He loves watching Repair Shop (so do I) and he does a fair bit of lego.
I had thought of buying him a Mamod steam engine,or something similar,but the idea of boiling steam in the hands if one so young is a little scary!? And the choices on eBay are vast.
I know little about these machines.
Do you know of a mechanical toy/model,steam or clockwork or battery that could be his first intro to steam engines/mechanical stuff?. Something he can build himself,with a bit of help.

I know this is a very general enquiry but any help you (and maybe others) can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Pod.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You can/could get models which where run on Air?. Not quite the same but worth considering for a youngster, the net effect of moving parts would be similar?.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Hello. John Barrett ,
A rather unusual question for you,if I may please........

Our eldest grandson is 7. Early days,but at the moment he shows great promise in practical matters rather than academics. He loves watching Repair Shop (so do I) and he does a fair bit of lego.
I had thought of buying him a Mamod steam engine,or something similar,but the idea of boiling steam in the hands if one so young is a little scary!? And the choices on eBay are vast.
I know little about these machines.
Do you know of a mechanical toy/model,steam or clockwork or battery that could be his first intro to steam engines/mechanical stuff?. Something he can build himself,with a bit of help.

I know this is a very general enquiry but any help you (and maybe others) can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Pod.
Have a look on banggood, they do sterling engines from under £20 and a V8 model engine kit for around £60 plus loads of others. They do a nice hit and miss engine if you want to spend £160

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Are you making a display case to go with the track. It would be a shame for a loco finished as nicely as yours
to be left open to gather dust when it’s not being steamed.
The Clayton has slowed down with me being away with our son last week and away this week with management.
I have made the ash pan and fitted the hinge to the foundation ring. The damper rod and fitting to the smoke box is sorted. That was interesting because it it is notched to give you three positions to lower the ash pan.
The chimney base and cap are done. Next is the grate.
Having fitted all this lot to the bottom of the boiler I am going to have some careful thinking. The boiler has to lower through the cab floor. There are already notches cut out for feed pipes and the steam pipes.
I nearly built a loco with an open cab back like the Sterling. That would have less cramped than the Clayton cab with all its pipes, manifold etc within reach of the drivers seat.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
This arrived from Hungary today for the Harrison, it's a really well made centre. I could have got a Chinesium one for a quarter of the price, but I'm avoiding their stuff whenever I can. Having said that, I've ordered a BXA Aloris type toolholder from America that will have originated from from an Oriental sweat shop, as there were no suitable alternatives. I only hope the rumours aren't true about the flanges running East to West !
20200924_144522.jpg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Nice looking centre. I have a couple of centres, full and half that came with the lathe I inherited and a live one like yours from my old Myford stepped up MT1 to MT2. Not as accurate I suppose but it is the cheaper solution.
I would like a quick change tool post for the Mini Lathe but it’s a lot of money for the the amount of tool changes I do. I keep my common use tools with the packing ready to use and only need to check the centre hight when I use odd things like the thread cutting tools.
Maybe if I buy a proper size lathe it will justify buying decent tooling.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Are you making a display case to go with the track. It would be a shame for a loco finished as nicely as yours
to be left open to gather dust when it’s not being steamed.
The Clayton has slowed down with me being away with our son last week and away this week with management.
I have made the ash pan and fitted the hinge to the foundation ring. The damper rod and fitting to the smoke box is sorted. That was interesting because it it is notched to give you three positions to lower the ash pan.
The chimney base and cap are done. Next is the grate.
Having fitted all this lot to the bottom of the boiler I am going to have some careful thinking. The boiler has to lower through the cab floor. There are already notches cut out for feed pipes and the steam pipes.
I nearly built a loco with an open cab back like the Sterling. That would have less cramped than the Clayton cab with all its pipes, manifold etc within reach of the drivers seat.
I will probably buy a perspex fitted cover for it. They are not expensive, thankfully!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have a Dixon qctp on the Myford and I made a few other holders for it too. The reason I've gone for the Aloris style this time is that the tool holders look a lot simpler to make (just a dovetail instead of two vees and two tees) and the tool change lever is incorporated in the toolpost.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I've been working on a display track worthy of this beast, and this one from The Miniature Railway Supply Co. is the real biz! Cast rail chairs, bull head rail and scale ballast are all supplied - at a price... - but it was worth it. Add 50 quids worth of specially selected Light Oak machined to my spec, and there you have it! Well, almost, as I can't remove the masking tape and fix the rails on until the PVA holding the gravel together dries. However, here's a couple of sneak previews.:giggle:
John
20201010_104310.jpg
20201010_123838.jpg
20201010_124611.jpg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I dont think the Clayton would justify such a nice display base. Its already leaking oil from just running on air.
Once I have done a full steam test the engine will be coming out so that will be the time to lessen the leaks. As people said about Landrovers , they are out of oil when they stop leaking. True British motor trade build standards.
Things have been slow with the Clayton for no real reason. I have put the boiler back in and it fits without taking the ash pan off. I am trying to make a better job of of the pipe from the feed water heater to the clack. I have altered the plumbing for the feed water heater so that it bypasses before the heater leaving the tank water cooler for the injector.
Bending 5/32 pipe without kinks takes some thinking. I have found soft solder that fits inside the pipe. Once the bends are made I then melt the solder out. Nothing new but it was a light bulb moment brought on by finding a role of soft solder thats a perfect fit inside the tube.
Keep up the good work John

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
SNIP
Bending 5/32 pipe without kinks takes some thinking. I have found soft solder that fits inside the pipe. Once the bends are made I then melt the solder out. Nothing new but it was a light bulb moment brought on by finding a role of soft solder thats a perfect fit inside the tube.
Keep up the good work John

About 15 years ago, like you, I found that bending small copper pipes was a real pain, so I designed and built a unique multi use bender. Lots of people liked it, so much so that Model Engineer magazine paid me to write an article on it!
2004_0529_115803AA.JPG

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
That looks a nice design that would have made my pipe fitting so much easier. Sorry to say I missed the articles. It was likely to be after I stoped my subscription to the magazine.
I had a small pipe bender but it started at 1/4”. I think it went walking meany years ago. Hopefully this will be the last pipe for the Clayton and the solder trick will help.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thats one beautiful piece of workmanship..
Congratulations and well done..
I think I said in a previous post on your thread I was slowly regaining an interest back in my little workshop..
I ordered a worden tool and cutter grinder from hemingways and I am making a bit progress (y) :LOL:
I would love to have a go at some of the steam engine models I've seen on hemingways sites.. maybe one day..
Once again congratulations..
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back