I see some Steam Enthusiasts on here! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Well, I've made a start on this beauty. Cylinders bored, port passageways drilled and valve chest and cylinder covers fitted. That's probably about 5% of the work done... :eek:
IMG20221230161849.jpg
IMG20221230161857.jpg
IMG20221230161919.jpg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Nice work so far John. Even as a display model the triple engines are impressive to look at. I can imagine a ships engineer lovingly polishing the fittings in his engine room.
Unlike the engine fitted to my Clayton Truck that is black and leaks oil from a different place every time I run it. Talking of that I have had a bit of time in the workshop between travels this winter mostly the steering box and linkages. A couple of rod ends were jamming the linkages giving more lock on one side.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Nice work so far John. Even as a display model the triple engines are impressive to look at. I can imagine a ships engineer lovingly polishing the fittings in his engine room.
Unlike the engine fitted to my Clayton Truck that is black and leaks oil from a different place every time I run it. Talking of that I have had a bit of time in the workshop between travels this winter mostly the steering box and linkages. A couple of rod ends were jamming the linkages giving more lock on one side.
At least you are running it, not gathering dust on a shelf!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
If management is away with her mate I go out to the workshop and run a couple of my engines on air including the truck.
I have only used the boiler a couple of times fired on gas to check things are as they should be. Firing on gas is more controllable and can be turned off rather than having to drop the fire.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well I tried to contact John Barrett but it seems he is no longer a subscribing member, so offering this to other steam train enthusiasts. I met a lady this morning who asked me if I knew anyone that would buy her late husband's 5" gauge steam engine that he started but never finished. Apparently he was an engineer by trade and this was a labour of love. He has built a section of track and the chassis, but never got to finish it. There are the paper plans and various brass stock

Is this something you would be interested in, or could you suggest anyone that would? The lady lives in Lychett Matravers near Poole in Dorset

If you are interested I can give you contact details

Regards
John

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think John left this site a couple of months ago ?
There's a few "dealers" listed in the back of Model Engineering magazine or Engineering in Miniature that will buy projects and equipment, you could pop in to WH Smith's and scan a copy for details, but you'd probably get a better deal from a private sale ?

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
The family are keen to move it on to a private enthusiast who will use and enjoy completing it
If it has a boiler, then this will make it more appealing as a project for someone to take on. Sadly there are any number of part built engines out there where the original builder has run out of time. I'd also recommend using a dealer such as Steam Workshop or Station Road Steam, both of which have good websites with contact details.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The motorhome is ready for my trip next Monday and management is away so I have had some workshop time.
The quick change tool post is making good progress. With the square steel I had in stock I have three holders made for the most common use tools. I have found a length of smaller square steel so I might use that for the smaller tools that came with the lathe.
There is one piece of larger steel bar that might be suitable for the parting tool and the knurling tool. They have a bigger shank.
Lidl had more of the magnetic tool rails in last week so I am putting the tool holders on one. I have four of them now and for the price they save me digging in cupboards and drawers for every day use tools.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back