i pad mini have you got one (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
My grandaughter aged 11 has just had an i pad mini for her birthday (yeh i know what you re thinking) Anyhow i am thinking it would be a useful bit of kit to have in a motorhome has anyone got one and what do you think is the most useful feature of it. I am asking this because i am a bit of a technical dinasaur and i know there are some very knowledgable folks on this site that will enlighten me.:Smile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh dear, this thread will 'get em all hot and bothered' :ROFLMAO:

I think the Ipad mini is much more versatile than the big one. It is very light and easy to hold. Apple stuff is very well made, very versatile, very desirable and VERY EXPENSIVE :whatthe:

But I'm (probably) going to get one :Smile: I am already in deep with Apple stuff as I have an iPod, and a Macbook Air. I just love it (but you will soon see that a lot of people here won't share the same point of view) :whatthe:

My advice would be have a look at your granddaughter's and go and have a look at the alternatives (samsung, KindleHD for example) and decide for your self.

Good luck :winky:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Got 2 .. !!
I bought them for my grandkids (5&7) when they came out..

Kids love them at home and in the Motorhome.. It's not just games.
I load on music and Films for them when travelling.
The 5 year old likes to do Maths apps and also there are some good free language apps. ie Spanish..

Another great use is the Facetime, a bit like Skype but only between Apple products. While away in Morocco the wife and I saw the kids everyday and chatted.. It was fun as they walked around and showed me the snow and I showed them the sea and sun..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My grandaughter aged 11 has just had an i pad mini for her birthday (yeh i know what you re thinking) Anyhow i am thinking it would be a useful bit of kit to have in a motorhome has anyone got one and what do you think is the most useful feature of it. I am asking this because i am a bit of a technical dinasaur and i know there are some very knowledgable folks on this site that will enlighten me.:Smile:

Me and mrs t have an I pad each
Daughter is off to Appel shop tomorrow to acquire one
Mrs t is going with her I would prefer to stay at home
But my [STRIKE]card[/STRIKE]:Doh: I am being dragged along
And I'm sure there is a motive to it

Let you know what I think tomorrow :cry::cry::Doh:​

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Full size or mini it's your choice
I have had my iPad now for about 18 months
I have spent a lot of money on stupid things never to be used or replaced when broken and a total waste of money
But if and when my iPad finally dies or gets broken I will be in apple shop immediately to get a replacement
I have never had something so useful I watch films listen. To music talk to kids on Skype or FaceTime when I am away plus use it for 90% of my work emails word docs the only thing I can't get it do is make my tea unless I email Elaine in kitchen
It took me a couple of weeks to get into it but its not hard to use the basics
I no the anty apple mob will be on here but it's all about choice your choice

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Got 4 ipad minis, each one of my 4 children have them
Wife has an ipad 2 and a macbook air
I have an ipad 3 and a macbook pro
oh and we all have an iphone each (6)
But I could not afford to buy them again

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Got 2 .. !!
I bought them for my grandkids (5&7) when they came out..

Kids love them at home and in the Motorhome.. It's not just games.
I load on music and Films for them when travelling.
The 5 year old likes to do Maths apps and also there are some good free language apps. ie Spanish..

Another great use is the Facetime, a bit like Skype but only between Apple products. While away in Morocco the wife and I saw the kids everyday and chatted.. It was fun as they walked around and showed me the snow and I showed them the sea and sun..
I didnt know about that feature at all is that just something you can get with apple product is it available on kindle etc
Sorry meant to highlight facetime!!

Ugggh ........... you already said only between apple products !!!!

I am going bed !!!!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm NOT looking for an ipad, mini or otherwise, I haven't got anything against them per se except the price!

I already have a 15.6 inch wide-screen laptop and am looking for something smaller to take on holiday abroad - I won't use it that much there as I do in the UK (with my mobile broadband) so don't really want to be dragging it around with me unnecessarily. We have a 10 inch tablet at the moment (can't remember what it is) but I just can't get on with it possibly because I like a 'proper' keyboard being an ex-PA and even though we have a keyboard and case which attaches to the tablet it just isn't the same, and you can't have the keyboard AND a mouse connected at the same time! :Doh:

We did have a netbook before but sold it when I got my laptop as we didn't think we'd need it any more ... :Blush: So, instead I'm looking for a netbook or small laptop/ultra book type thing, nothing too expensive though.

Remember that to use it abroad you will have to find free wifi (McDonalds etc) as the cost of using a UK mobile broadband dongle will be extortionate!:Eeek:

Basically THINK carefully about what you actually NEED it to do and how you will use it, and then do a lot of research so you know what all the jargon etc means, then buy what is appropriate FOR YOU and NOT just what is the 'in thing' at the moment. The screen on the mini is very small (if your eyesight isn't brilliant this could be a negative for you) compared to a lot of tablets of a larger size which are also a lot cheaper and will probably do what you want without a problem - you don't have to spend a lot and can get some really good ones for well under £100! :thumb:

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I don't know how I managed to exist with my iPhone iPad and mac book

My wife has a iPad mini and I like it a lot, does everything a iPad does but just smaller

I use mine for hours a day (business and pleasure) laptops seem like hard work rather than just pick it up and use it!

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have 2 iPads, an original and an iPad 3. Both are 64gb WiFi versions and both have Samba sims in them for internet on the move. Watch or play ads to get free airtime. The iPad 3 can be used as a personal hotspot, so lets me pair with my Mac Book Pro for web stuff. When the next significant iPad come out we will upgrade both to those. I just need to get her in doors to go down the iPhone and Mac Book route and we are all sorted. We did think about the mini, but decided full size was best.:Smile:

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Apple is one retailer I don't mind being marketed at.

Had a Macbook Air 13" for a couple of years now and rather like Charlton Hestons famous (infamous??) line when speaking at the National Rifle Association......."Out of my cold, dead, hands".......I will never let it go.

This year after fighting with myself for some months I bought an ipad mini. Ostensibly I told myself for use as a good sized navigation tool for the van along with Copilot Truck. This is true but rather like standing in front of the cornish pasty shop, I didn't really need much of a reason to go in and buy one. They are there, so I do.

All peoples comments on this thread are true but one important other fact is that with an apple product you will not have the crashes, virus's or otherwise that PC users often get. That I used to get. I spent a fortune in the past on antivirus programmes which I fear only served to slow my laptop down and cost me time and money on the phone trying to get customer service to get me back to work. Really, the antivirus industry is a fantastically self perpetuating business concept. Employ lots of programmers to find ways to block virus's that you have employed lots of programmers to create! Perfect........"Business is slacking a bit Bud, let one of those computer Nerds out of it's box and get him to create a super virus for us to protect our customers from..........ok Clint, I'll get right on it........" $$$$$$$$$$$$

The ipad Mini is your book, your computer, your diary, your entertainment, your Navvie, your reminder, your guide and your easily concealed toilet reading.......should you engage in that awful habit :RollEyes:

If you want one for navigation you'll have to buy the 3G version as only they currently have the GPS built in. However, you can buy an additional GPS dongle to work from also. As far as internet abroad is concerned, I bought from Motorhome Wifi their Mifi box which accepts any sim card. On Monday I bought an French SFR Sim card for ten euro's, loaded it with more data and we can both get online most places in france with it. Simples.

Finally, it's such a lovely object to own, why wouldn't you?

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Apple is one retailer I don't mind being marketed at.

Had a Macbook Air 13" for a couple of years now and rather like Charlton Hestons famous (infamous??) line when speaking at the National Rifle Association......."Out of my cold, dead, hands".......I will never let it go.

This year after fighting with myself for some months I bought an ipad mini. Ostensibly I told myself for use as a good sized navigation tool for the van along with Copilot Truck. This is true but rather like standing in front of the cornish pasty shop, I didn't really need much of a reason to go in and buy one. They are there, so I do.

All peoples comments on this thread are true but one important other fact is that with an apple product you will not have the crashes, virus's or otherwise that PC users often get. That I used to get. I spent a fortune in the past on antivirus programmes which I fear only served to slow my laptop down and cost me time and money on the phone trying to get customer service to get me back to work. Really, the antivirus industry is a fantastically self perpetuating business concept. Employ lots of programmers to find ways to block virus's that you have employed lots of programmers to create! Perfect........"Business is slacking a bit Bud, let one of those computer Nerds out of it's box and get him to create a super virus for us to protect our customers from..........ok Clint, I'll get right on it........" $$$$$$$$$$$$

The ipad Mini is your book, your computer, your diary, your entertainment, your Navvie, your reminder, your guide and your easily concealed toilet reading.......should you engage in that awful habit :RollEyes:

If you want one for navigation you'll have to buy the 3G version as only they currently have the GPS built in. However, you can buy an additional GPS dongle to work from also. As far as internet abroad is concerned, I bought from Motorhome Wifi their Mifi box which accepts any sim card. On Monday I bought an French SFR Sim card for ten euro's, loaded it with more data and we can both get online most places in france with it. Simples.

Finally, it's such a lovely object to own, why wouldn't you?
I really do get fed up with my laptop its always crashing its slow the battery is rubbish and people are saying that this doesnt happen with the i pad. I wasnt thinking about navigation but mabe i should if i am going to invest in one. There is so much to learn about these things thats why i thought i would ask you motorhomers how it gets used by you on a day to day basis. The keyboard side of things is also something to consider as i am now having to manage without my little mouse as i think it has died :cry:so until i can get to shops i am using the touch pad thing and i hate it but mabe that will improve with use.:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you are a techno idiot like I am the iPad is perfect.

I am sure other tablets are good as well.

I haven't used a lap top for 3 years.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
i-pad

We are a big fan of the i-pad, our i-pad 2 has just become part of our family and everyday life, it apparently took the late Mr Steve Jobs and Apple by surprise by just how popular it became and for the way people used it.
It was never intended to be used as a laptop replacement but has certainly gone that way.
Top product wouldn`t be without it.:thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I didnt know about that feature at all is that just something you can get with apple product is it available on kindle etc
Sorry meant to highlight facetime!!

Ugggh ........... you already said only between apple products !!!!

You can get Skype for the iPad - I use it on my netbook when I'm in the 'van to talk to my father when he's on his iPad* and it works fine (for messaging, voice and video).

* - probably playing Angry Birds :Doh:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
If you want one with GPS get the 3G version of the IPad, useful for navigation too. The Google Nexus 7 which is cheaper has GPS in the WiFi version is cheaper ..... and you can download the maps offline - Just a thought!

You need to carefully think what you want it for, but for simple surfing, web browsing and access to books etc on the move a tablet is great. Sadly, our family has a variety of flavours! All of which work well for their intended jobs.

Cheers

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
For me it comes down to price, most ipads and their look a likes do all the same things so why spend £300-£400 when I can buy a playbook or kindle fire for a lot less money? Within a couple of years they will all be outdated anyway and we will be looking at upgrading.

But as has been said its your money, so spend it on what makes you happy. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Me and mrs t have an I pad each
Daughter is off to Appel shop tomorrow to acquire one
Mrs t is going with her I would prefer to stay at home
But my [STRIKE]card[/STRIKE]:Doh: I am being dragged along
And I'm sure there is a motive to it

Let you know what I think tomorrow :cry::cry::Doh:​

well good news or is it bad news

we now apparentley have an i pAd mini

but its just dissapeared into m&s with
senior missmanagement (mrs t) &junior missmanagement

me im sat on a seat sulking in lakeside thurrock

i feel so lost and abandoned :cry::cry:

never mind people watching passes the time

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

You fool follow them
Cases extra wires plugs bits and bats that go with gizmos :cry::cry:
Are are not such a fool sat in van with YOUR card under your bum :winky::winky:
I wonder :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I am not going to do an anti apple post. However this I do have to pull you up on.
1) the anti virus industry does not make the viruses. Criminals do.
2) Apple Systems are not immune to viruses and not having any form of AV is as bad as not immunising your kids. You are going to come a cropper at some time.
3) Apple systems DO crash about the same amount as a well maintained Windows system does.

All three of these statements are fallacies and myths that have been spread by the pro apple camp and have been disproved by independent IT types many times.

If you do just a tiny amount of googling you will find examples easily. Apples do get viruses for example... 2 seconds on google to find this one.

Other than that, The iPads are nice enough, but they don't do anything other tablets can't and they cost a lot more.

I just typed IOS Virus into google and got this interesting article.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57...and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/

I don't have any ios or android devices so haven't followed the malware news closely on them.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got a couple of iPads but not a Mini..
However, I can report that the mini seems to be VERY popular with the local police lads as they are small enough to fit in the inside pocket of a stab vest and are not exactly heavy ( an important point when you have to carry the amount of stuff the average bobby is lumbered with nowadays ! )

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Got a couple of iPads but not a Mini..
However, I can report that the mini seems to be VERY popular with the local police lads as they are small enough to fit in the inside pocket of a stab vest and are not exactly heavy ( an important point when you have to carry the amount of stuff the average bobby is lumbered with nowadays ! )

Maybe the kids will put their criminal adventures on face book so local plod can find them Easy
Just a thought

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Maybe the kids will put their criminal adventures on face book so local plod can find them Easy
Just a thought

They do it all the bloody time Peter !!
I think the average teenage nar-do-well has the brains of a dirty sock :Eeek:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
O yes spent 2 years working with 16 to 20 year old apprentice fitters and operators could not stand it and had to get back into working with adults
Mind you some of them can be as bad

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
I am not going to do an anti apple post. However this I do have to pull you up on.
1) the anti virus industry does not make the viruses. Criminals do.
2) Apple Systems are not immune to viruses and not having any form of AV is as bad as not immunising your kids. You are going to come a cropper at some time.
3) Apple systems DO crash about the same amount as a well maintained Windows system does.

[HI]All three of these statements are fallacies and myths that have been spread by the pro apple camp and have been disproved by independent IT types many times.[/HI]

If you do just a tiny amount of googling you will find examples easily. Apples do get viruses for example... 2 seconds on google to find this one.

Other than that, The iPads are nice enough, but they don't do anything other tablets can't and they cost a lot more.

I just typed IOS Virus into google and got this interesting article.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57...and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/

I don't have any ios or android devices so haven't followed the malware news closely on them.

.......then I guess the converse may be possible also? Do Apple products get virus's?. Could be a myth spread about by the other lot? Dunno. Who cares. Not apple users thats for sure.

:winky: But of course, they are a bit more expensive and so if you simply can't afford them, then it's ok to buy a windows device, really it is. We won't look down upon you. Honest. :winky::winky::winky:

Of course all computers may crash from time to time irrespective of their operating system. But from all my apple friends and my own experience, I would never, ever, not in a million years (unless of course the pendulum shifted and the shoe was on the other foot) ever go back to windows or a pc. Never. Fact. My experience with a Macbook Air which I have now had since Nov 2010 has been fantastic. No problems, no crashes, no pop ups, no virus's and even if I have them, they have no effect upon me. One friend of mine had to restore his but he hammers it as a heavy user. Not sure if that means anything or not but again, who cares. I simply cant say the same about the other laptops I've had.

But it's not just about virus's. It's the ease of use. I delayed getting a Macbook because I was anxious about learning a new system. I should have done it years ago. It's EASIER and simpler to use. I don't need to be a techie to understand it. I bought my 73 year old Mother a windows laptop three years ago. She couldn't deal with it and gave it away to my niece. She recently bought an ipad and my god!!! She's skyping, shopping and emailing now. She loves it. And I love the fact that she loves it. But I admit, she is older now so maybe she's in a better position to be able to learn computing ............:roflmto:

I have no idea if the Antivirus Companies are involved in creating virus's. But there aren't many, multimillion Dollar industries where there isn't any criminality going on. But I don't really know that either. As a professional cynic I have to assume that somewhere, sometime they have done it. If a tyre fitter at a well known high street chain of tyre fitters was eager to squirt oil down my shock absorbers and try to tell me my shocks were shot, then I do find it possible (crazy logic maybe?) that higher up the food chain large corporations are not shy of perhaps bending things their own way. I doubt you can conclusively say they don't do it either.

I sold my sailing yacht last year which had a bermudan rig on it. The most popular way to rig a sailing boat for the past forty or so years. But it's not the best. There are other rigs that have been proven to work just as efficiently and importantly without placing huge stresses on the hull. Why don't more people choose these other rigs? Going with the crowd is difficult to break. Going with the accepted norm is stepping out into the unknown. Change as we well know isn't easy.

But really, pulling my tongue from out of my cheek, I personally love Apple products. They got it mostly right more than any other company got it mostly right.

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003

........but if you had your own ipad mini, you wouldn't feel sooo alone......:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Cocoro,

I am an anti Microsoft person. However they have got Windows 7 right. Until recently I was using it heavily and never had a single BSOD or other OS hiccough.

I have always been a Linux guy from back in 1998 (earlier as a plaything) My business runs on it. It is rock solid and the applications tend to be a lot more stable than anything Apple, Adobe, Microsoft or Oracle/Sun put out. So I could put the argument to you that if you want stability stop playing with consumer toys like Apple and get with the hardcore Linux boys :ROFLMAO:

I do use some Apple gear, I have an iPod touch and an iPod nano and they are the best I have seen. However the computers leave me cold and the iPhone I found to be unusable.

I did work in the AV industry for 18 months and can tell you with certainty that none of our development work resulted in viruses in the wild nor did anyone outside the organisation get access to any of our research or toys.

On the ease of use front, I found the two Macs I had over the years to be frustrating and irritating in equal measure. They hid things from the user in the hopes of making things simpler. This had the opposite effect on me as I actually know what I am doing and having things hid from me causes me issues beyond belief. Apple and Adobe software also makes assumptions on behalf of the user which cause problems. For example. If I leave a field empty I mean it to be either 0 or Nul. Adobe seems to think it is acceptable to insert the number 2 in the field as that is what they would normally use. Grrrrr :Angry::Angry::Angry: If I was to go back through my notes I could find many many example of frustrations like this.

Anyway, you are dragging me into Apple slamming which I don't want to do:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Didn't the guy ask about an Ipad? :Smile: So what's laptops/desktop op sys. got to do with it? :Smile:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back