LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The wifi plus cellular has a GPS chip in it as well, which means that you can use it as giant satnav with a Nav programme (eg NavFee) downloaded.

That made a big difference to us......

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Evening all, just a quick question. What is the difference between

I PAD AIR WIFI
AND
I PAD AIR WIFI PLUS CELLULAR Apart from £100

Keep it simple please

Cellular accepts a SIM card from a phone shop giffgaff/02 /ee/vodaphone

The other is wifi ( router at home type )
or free wifi at McDonald's

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Thanks for that now it's a no brainer. Barrie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
Hi middy42 the wi fi needs to connect to a close by internet source ie if you were out and about you could find wi fi via say mc donalds or another free internet, the cellular would need a sim card which is fitted inside the i pad to connect independently to a provider ie o2/ee/vodaphone thus giving much greater coverage usually any where!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I have the 64Gig wifi cellular and it's brilliant :)

I have a 3G contract, so 15gig of 3G data for £5 a month, plus it logs on to all the free wifi I need when out :)

Also use the iPad as my satnav and it's perfect for me. Large clear screen too :)

Worth the extra pennies in my opinion. My friend Di got the 64G only and really regrets not getting the cellular model :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I have the 64Gig wifi cellular and it's brilliant :)

I have a 3G contract, so 15gig of 3G data for £5 a month, plus it logs on to all the free wifi I need when out :)

Also use the iPad as my satnav and it's perfect for me. Large clear screen too :)

Worth the extra pennies in my opinion. My friend Di got the 64G only and really regrets not getting the cellular model :)

Sorry, do you mind if I butt in? When you use the sat nav function does that count towards your data allowance?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Sorry, do you mind if I butt in? When you use the sat nav function does that count towards your data allowance?

Nope not on me I phone or pad
being I haven't topped up the pad
For two years ( giffgaff sim is still live )
Thought it would of been cancelled by now

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yes Debs, but I've never ever gone over my 15gig allowance, as that's a huge amount of data. Far more than the satnav could ever need :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no not unless you browse the internet at the same time. my android tablet is not 3g but has built in gps so can be used as a satnav. i pair it to my mifi and this allows multiple devices to share the one 3g connection

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

If you use a Nav programme such as Nav Free ( I use copilot but it is purchased as an app - my choice) then you do not use any data as it is downloaded. Would recommend getting bigger rather than smaller memory - e.g.32gig plus as you can soon fill it up. Cheers

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

That depends what navigation app you are using. If you use one that completely downloads all the map data to the device no, if you use one that only keeps a small bit of the map on the device and needs to download more as you move around then yes.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
If you an iPhone you can pair it to your iPad so if your phone picks up a signal then pair it via Bluetooth then away you go. (y)
As David said, if you get an iPad and have an iPhone, you can turn the phone into a wifi router, by using the function known as Personal Hotspot :)

Once it's switched on at the phone, turn on the wifi on the iPad and enter the password given on the phone and then you'll be connected. Both devices will have turned on their Bluetooth and you'll just need to leave the phone somewhere that you can get a 3G signal (say the window sill) :)

This will then use your iPhone data allowance. If you've a contract that says limitless data download, your laughing :)

This picture shows the location under Settings for the Personal Hotspot :)

image.jpg

This picture shows the Personal Hotspot and wifi password you would need to enter to connect devices :)

image.jpg

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Wow thanks for all the quick replies, I'm going to have to go away and research some more. I do the same as you DBK at the moment but we use a tomtom when travelling but she's on her last legs, bless(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Wow thanks for all the quick replies, I'm going to have to go away and research some more. I do the same as you DBK at the moment but we use a tomtom when travelling but she's on her last legs, bless(y)
Get one with 3G........ Even if you don't use the SIM card. The iPad I'm using now is a previous model iPad air 128 gig as a grey import and much cheaper than direct - got it from Amazon. Don't need that much memory but it was cheaper than 64gig one!

The SIM card is AT&T one but if I need the Internet when travelling then simply use the motorhome wifi MiFi unit or (sometimes) the phone hotspot as above described

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just managing to keep up with all the techy speak now (embarrassing for saying what I did in my previous working life :LOL::X3:)

Just need time to assimilate it all:)

You are not tied to using only an iphone to set up a wifi hotspot (just in case anyone's not sure) I've got an android phone:)

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
I have an iPad but was thinking of getting the new samsung tablet 12inch, has anyone any experience of this product.
Thanks

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If you an iPhone you can pair it to your iPad so if your phone picks up a signal then pair it via Bluetooth then away you go. (y)
That's called "Tethering". You need to make sure your contract allows you to tether, and if so, if there are any data restrictions in place.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
So if I'm reading this thread correctly, a standard ipad doesn't have gps capability ??

Remarkable, that is a huge negative for ipad. Even cheapo Chinese tablets have gps ???

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Hi Moho, I learned plenty from launching this thread, but one thing I already knew is, you get what you pay for, and most Chinese stuff is crap. Barrie

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Agree that most Chinese stuff is crap and certainly not recommending it as an alternative.
I just don't understand Apple sometimes - they manufacture the highest quality goods and price accordingly, then omit something simple like gps capability ?
Another example is the tiny hard drives, inexcusable to offer 16gb these days....

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s