I now understand why some motorbikes have louder exhausts! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would do the rider for something like 'driving without undue care and attention' or 'dangerous driving' as he is intentionally making things worse for the sake of it, if a pedestrian is ALREADY in the road you have no right whatsoever to bully/scare them which is in effect what he's doing. He's also driving way to fast past them at times and being quite aggressive too.

Total pillock ... it's no wonder some people have such a bad view of motorcyclists.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Pedestrians have right of way at all times even if they are behaving like lemmings. That's implied because there is no right to run them over although prosecution for hitting them is unlikely if it was their fault. If they sue the rider or driver the compensation amount will be reduced by a percentage for contributory negligence by the pedestrian, but that's all.

I didn't watch the whole video because it is repetitive and I took a dislike to his aggressive attitude. His style of riding should be much more defensive and cautious.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t mention Lisbon to my wife. We went through there on our bikes a few years ago, if the poor roads, tram lines, cobbles or scooter riders don’t get you, the pedestrians will. :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having ridden motorcycles for over 50 years I, for one, would venture the invention and marketing of cars with "SIPS" (Side Impact Protection Systems) was a huge setback for mototcycling safety. IMO it led to an increased feeling of invulnerability to drivers, in turn leading directly to them paying less attention to sideways approaching vehicles.
I don't think that's made a jot of difference, if people don't think about bikes etc they certainly won't think even less due to having a safer car ... many people won't even know what safety features their cars have anyway!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I didn't watch the whole video because it is repetitive and I took a dislike to his aggressive attitude. His style of riding should be much more defensive and cautious.
Same here, I stuck it for a few minutes but felt like throwing the idiot off his bike and then riding it at him and seeing how he liked it!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
To me, it is simple…….. a bike exhaust points directly away from the direction of travel, so even loud pipes will project a great deal of sound away from the pedestrian. On the other hand, the horn tends to be at or near the front of the bike, designed to project sound forwards.

So fit a louder horn as one funster did above….

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
To me, it is simple…….. a bike exhaust points directly away from the direction of travel, so even loud pipes will project a great deal of sound away from the pedestrian. On the other hand, the horn tends to be at or near the front of the bike, designed to project sound forwards.

So fit a louder horn as one funster did above….
Yeah but that doesn't 'massage' the rider's ego as much! :giggle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I don't think that's made a jot of difference, if people don't think about bikes etc they certainly won't think even less due to having a safer car ... many people won't even know what safety features their cars have anyway!

Instead of the "Think Bike" adverts the better way to make other motorists more Bike conscious is for it to be compulsory to pass a motorcycle test before even being allowed to have a provisional car licence. As for pedestrians only a US-style jaywalking offence would help much.

On a slight tangent the trouble with even having a 5 star NCAP rating is that if you think it gives enough protection you are deluded. I passed an accident on our newly opened and somewhat controversial through-about on the Ring Road. Fire and Ambo services had just left the scene and Police were doing the accident investigation. 2 cars and a van were involved. The white Iveco van had rear-ended a BMW. I am guessing the BMW had stopped at the red lights and the van failed to brake. The BMW was so smashed up you couldn't tell which model it was. Luckily there were no rear passengers because the front of the van would have squashed them. The BMW driver was taken to hospital according to the local news. The other car was a Clio with side impact damage; not obvious how that happened, but the occupants seemed unhurt.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I would do the rider for something like 'driving without undue care and attention' or 'dangerous driving' as he is intentionally making things worse for the sake of it, if a pedestrian is ALREADY in the road you have no right whatsoever to bully/scare them which is in effect what he's doing. He's also driving way to fast past them at times and being quite aggressive too.

Total pillock ... it's no wonder some people have such a bad view of motorcyclists.
Should a motorcyclist intentionally rev his engine at me he is going to get two fingers and if he does it continually something more. I really detest these twats who try to intimidate other road users with the noise of a revving engine they are total W.kers

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This Biker is using his bike as a weapon if it was an occasional rev to make his presence known as a defensive response to a situation that is one thing but as far as I can see he is positioning his bike and an aggressive and threatening and thuggish manner. As others have said he could use his horn

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have to say - as a pillion rather than a rider - No Way Pedro would I feel safe behind him and wouldn't even if he swapped that bike for a Goldwing or Billy Connolly's trike. Far too aggressive riding for me. OK I know very well what the instructions are regarding 'making progress' - but that one rides with 'extreme prejudice'.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
He can see what’s developing ahead, but instead of acting safely and responsibly his attitude is aggressive and dangerous.

Frightening people out of the way is not good riding and just adds to peoples misunderstanding of what it is to ride a motorcycle. 🤷‍♂️

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Looks like great fun to me :D
Not to me, why anyone would want to ride in a city is beyond me. I don’t even like the first and last ten minuets of riding to and from my house.
I had a good friend at college killed by a pedestrian stepping out in front of him on his motorbike. The pedestrian didn’t even get a fine.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
This will be par for the course for seasoned bikers but I was amazed at just how many people don't look or don't see a flippin big motorbike approaching!

8:30 - gets parent of the year award.

I think the motorcyclist is in the wrong in about 50% of these interactions. He is in central London. Its busy with pedestrians. He should be reminded that once a pedestrian is on the road he has a legal obligation to yield to them. Just like the police car did.

Sure some of the pedestrians were half asleep, but that's never going to change. Drive at a speed that is appropriate to the conditions. He doesnt.

I cycle in busy city centres. It's no different for me. I don't feel the need to make videos. I know that's how it is.

Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
well I started riding motorbikes in 1984 so been around a fair bit. This rider is an idiot.

He is riding through a congested city knowing there are pedestrians who are not paying attention and being very agressive and damn right dangerous. No wonder we have a bad image and reputatoin with some members of the general public. I thought we had put this type of behaviour behind us decades ago.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Husqvarna Nuda 900R just a fabulous machine, as for those that don't like RJ's riding style, try riding through a busy city sometime, you have a green light or right of way and the knob head pedestrians just carry on walking out in front of you whilst talking or txting on their mobiles, the young mothers with a pushchair, or Mr dickhead oblivious to all around him except for the music playing in his ears.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Husqvarna Nuda 900R just a fabulous machine, as for those that don't like RJ's riding style, try riding through a busy city sometime, you have a green light or right of way and the knob head pedestrians just carry on walking out in front of you whilst talking or txting on their mobiles, the young mothers with a pushchair, or Mr dickhead oblivious to all around him except for the music playing in his ears.
What makes you think I haven’t / don’t? (y)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Oh is that why the rider behaved like a total pillock, thats ok then.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Are you trying to say that it turns you into a pillock then? :oops: Speaking from experience??? :giggle:

There is NO excuse to ride in the aggressive way he does, none whatsoever ...

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Oh is that why the rider behaved like a total pillock, thats ok then.
You do all seem to by having a go at the rider (I do agree his riding leaves something to be desired) but no one, not any contributors seems to think the pedestrians are in the wrong. I do find that quite worrying. Surely at least some of the ones decrying his riding style must think that walking out in front of a moving vehicle is an unsafe thing to do. Perhaps, and I know this is a bit radical the pedestrians should look before crossing the road. As a kid I was taught the green cross code. Perhaps we could bring it back.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
As a kid I was taught the green cross code. Perhaps we could bring it back.

Don’t know how to break it to you but he’s dead☹️
A11DDEEC-5140-43BC-AF73-898AE3D2D531.jpeg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back