Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2010
Nice to see so many responses, positive and negative, though I’m now more con(fused) than I was at the start!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2018
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Pilote P600
Exp
Since 2018
Maybe a silly question but if you are changing to these batteries, how was/were the original battery/ies vented?

OP
OP
I
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Maybe a silly question but if you are changing to these batteries, how was/were the original battery/ies vented?

I wasn't venting the batteries as rightly or wrongly I assumed they would be OK given I had the alternator, Sargent PX300 and a 90W solar panel supplying charge, none of which was going to put in charge at a very high rate - the Sargent kit has a 25Amp fuse on it from memory. Now that I am fitting a Sterling 60A B2Bcharger(and fitting a relay to disable the alternator charging at the same time on +12V detection from the alternator) I thought it might be safer to fit the vents so that I have peace of mind. It is quite probable that any issue would come from an electrical malfunction and that is is less likely with Sargent and I will gladly take correction on this as 12V is way more complicated than I initially thought!!

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php have a lot of interesting articles, esp about the Varta batteries. What worrys me is that most other references on campervan sites seem to reference this site so it has unwittingly become the source of a lot of information! They say that the Varta LFD90 does not need to be vented. I say OK but the manufactorer put vents in so I am going to use them.

The original Yuasa was not vented but MHF has taught me that the electrical side of things is quite frequently lacking on factory builds.

OP
OP
I
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Nice to see so many responses, positive and negative, though I’m now more con(fused) than I was at the start!

Admittedly there was a couple of different things going on but my oringal question on where to vent was well answered and I posted pictures of job done on post #27 - not much social interaction at the moment so the banter is good!!!

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
My lfd battery is sealed.
No vent
Check out
van services. Co. Uk

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you don't need to vent then they are sealed
Our 'van had LDF90s fitted from new and they are vented to the outside. The batteries are sealed in the sense they don't have plugs you can unscrew to top up the electrolyte but they do have a small vent for attaching a pipe to. I think all these batteries, even those which claim to be fully sealed all have some sort of safety valve as under certain conditions, including an internal fault they can produce gas.

OP
OP
I
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Our 'van had LDF90s fitted from new and they are vented to the outside. The batteries are sealed in the sense they don't have plugs you can unscrew to top up the electrolyte but they do have a small vent for attaching a pipe to. I think all these batteries, even those which claim to be fully sealed all have some sort of safety valve as under certain conditions, including an internal fault they can produce gas.
batteryvent.png

Completely agree. Under normal conditions, even a high rate of charge/discharge there should be no need for the vent to be utilised but in the event of a fault it is there to stop an explosion. From my understanding the Varta LFD/Bosch L5 battery is different to other lead acid batteries in that they use a labrinth construction at the top of the battery to take any gas that has been generated and combine it back to water so in a sense the battery is sealed.

Now what I do find very interesting is the amount of people using them(me included) and the amount of forums referencing them as excellent batteries(and I am perfectly happy with them) with little to no documentation from the manufacturer to be found. I cannot find any significant manufacturer documentation other than nice infographics. It's like one person said they are great batteries, that appeared in all the google searches and everyone has been using them ever since. The fact that there is a discussion on wheather there are vents or not should not be a question. It should be there in black and white from the manufacturer. I have seen in different forum where battery suppliers have said you need to vent and battery suppliers have said you do not need to vent. Please please correct me someone by attaching the manufacturer technical spec. I have not been able to find anything. For instance these batteries are supposed to have a resting voltage of 12.8V which is 0.1 to 0.2 V higher than a normal lead acid battery and thus consider them at 50% DOD at 12.2V which is 0.1 to 0.2V higher than a normal lead acid. Is this true? I think so because I read it somewhere but I'd love to have the proper spec.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The voltage differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, due to specific gravity acid mix. A mix of 1.280 gives a voltage of 2,16vpc 13v and a mix of 1,240 gives 2.10vpc 12,65v fully charged. It all depends on the manufacturer acid mix. A high mix gives consistent voltage but high plate corrosion on full charge. A weak mix gives lower voltages but lower corrosion and longer plate and active material life. The leisure and starter varta will use a mix of 1,270-1,280. Expect a voltage of 12,7-13v fully charged rested. The static big monsters like hopeke will use a very low acid mix. Same with forklift cells.

Reactions: DBK
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I understood that sealed batteries do not have the same electrolyte as non sealed batteries which does not need to vent. Would it be an idea to enquire of the manufacturers what advice they could give?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That would be a great idea. You will find it hard to get something precise out of them. Most will be generic, probably along the lines you already know. Manufacturers don’t give much out. They need you to buy at the end of warranty, not to prolong the life of the product.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back