I need new 110 AH leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
I am thinking of replacing my leisure batteries, mine are 4 years old and appear to be dropping charge. Any recommendations of makes would be appreciated, I have read that some people are not happy with their Banner batteries so what is the alternatives.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My battery expert (aka Robert Clark) tells me the only one to buy is...

Varta LDF 90

It is what I am changing to when I can talk some lovely person to bring me some out here to Portugal...

JJ :cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Got 3x 110 bats from Portishead, 165 for the 3 with old bats as trade in,lion batts

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We bought 3 Varta LFD 90 batteries a couple of months ago, all good so far. £91.96 + delivery from Tayna.

JJ, if you can wait until December we can bring them to Portugal providing you can have them delivered either to Essex or to central France

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Ring Tayna Batteries in Abergele N Wales. 01745 823399. Very knowledgable and helpful and well good on price.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I run a motorfactor and have decided to sell Platinum batteries. I've stocked numerous batteries over the years and the one make that gives me the least problem is Platinum.
I've now been stocking them for 6 years.
Varta is a very good product but we're getting a bit greedy with their prices.
I have Platinum batteries fitted to my MH and cars and obviously I have the choice of most makes but Platinum perform brilliantly.
I can only talk from experience and go by the very little warranties we deal with.
Hope that helps

Reactions: DLT

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My two Varta LFD90's are four years old now and showing no signs of deterioration - but I've only recently fitted an inverter so they are now subject to a heavy discharge for a few minutes during hair drying. Previously, they have had a very gentle life. :)
OI000181.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@Tis a minefield, this new battery lark. Been countless threads with all sorts of comments on every battery you can think of, some good, some bad. I suffered this couple of months ago as my first set of batteries from a famous (infamous?) own-brand supplier (?) who is no longer in business starting to show signs of failure 2 years after the no-quibble gaurantee. I can't complain about 7 years use but have to admit we're not heavy users.

After recommendations I chose a pair of Varta.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ, if you can wait until December we can bring them to Portugal providing you can have them delivered either to Essex or to central France

That is a very, very kind offer.

At the moment I am trying to get my local car parts firm to get some. If, as I suspect he will, he fails, I might very well take you up on it.

When will you leave Blighty?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Varta LDF 90

Varta or Bosch are considered quality batteries. (y)

Ring Tayna Batteries in Abergele N Wales. 01745 823399. Very knowledgable and helpful and well good on price.

Off the back of advice and internet pointers on here (including from @Jean-luc ) I replaced the factory fit 90 Ah Yuasa lead acid battery in our MH with a Varta 110 Ah sealed lead acid bought over the counter at Tayna Batteries of Abergele to save on postage.

I'm led to believe that Varta and Bosch Silver batteries are basically the same thing made in the same factory, but with different brand labelling applied before they go out of the door.

A 110 Ah battery could well be bigger than a 90 Ah, so it's worth checking battery compartment dimensions.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

Varta LDF 90

It is what I am changing to when I can talk some lovely person to bring me some out here to Portugal...

JJ, Tayna deliver within Europe very cheaply. And very fast. I had 2 delivered to Spain for £25 within a couple of days. They have a depot in the Netherlands !

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i now never look at surveys to purchase anything prefer word of mouth recomendations
every survey is funded by people with a financial interest

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
That is a very, very kind offer.

At the moment I am trying to get my local car parts firm to get some. If, as I suspect he will, he fails, I might very well take you up on it.

When will you leave Blighty?

As BD writes above Tayna do deliver to continental Europe but not to everywhere as their courier is just expanding their network or something like that (we wanted ours delivered to central France but couldn't guarantee us if it could happen in a 2 week window). At £25 delivered to Portugal it looks like a bargain if they cover your area.
But if not our last departure from the UK before Portugal is mid November and you're very welcome.

Our main port of call in Portugal is Lisbon and no other fixed plans, will probably go down to Silves too as have a cousin there. But more or less where ever you are in Portugal we'll be able to get the batteries to you.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Heartily recommend South Yorkshire Batteries (SYBS) in Sheffield
A terrific helpful company.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thought this may be of interest to some members.
1. Information on the Vatra LFD 90 from there own website.
2. A post about Banner batteries from another forum.
Banner Energy Bull batteries have been fitted as original equipment for several years by quite a few major motorhome manufacturers. This means that many thousands of Energy Bull batteries have been used by motorcaravanners for ‘habitation’ purposes. The electrolyte-level of some of those batteries will not have been properly maintained, some will have been driven into the ground and some will undoubtedly have failed prematurely.

Varta LFD batteries (to the best of my knowledge) have never been fitted as original equipment by motorhome manufacturers. Compared to Energy Bulls the number of Varta LFD batteries being used by motorcaravanners will be tiny. LFD batteries cannot be ‘maintained’ and their electrolyte loss in normal use is said to be near nil. I suspect too that motorcaravanners who choose to retrofit a Varta LFD battery are more technically savvy that average and will be aware of a habitation battery’s limitations and tend not to abuse it.

Whether a Banner Energy Bull battery is inherently less reliable than a Varta LFD battery is anybody’s guess as it’s not realistic (even if one could) to directly compare the experience of a small group of experienced motorcaravanners who have deliberately chosen the Varta product with thousands of ’man in the street’ motorcaravanners who buy motorhomes already fitted with the Banner batteries. Having said that, as expert advice from A & N Caravan Services strongly favours the LFD range over the Banner batteries and the Varta LFD140 is cheaper than the Energy Bull 96051, the Varta battery must be considered the logical choice.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk...ters/Banner-vs-Varta-leisure-batteries/42820/

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When choosing a battery you should consider the charger unit fitted to your van, if it's a Schaudt Electroblock then Banners are best avoided as they are not suited but are probably ok with other chargers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back