Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
My old Tom Tom sat nav has bit the dust and I need to replace it. I have searched on many web sites and I'm confused as there are so many to choose from. What will be the best for a motorhome and also I need to be able to put in a map for Marocco. What do you think of the low priced Chinese units? :Eeek:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have one of the Chinese truck sat navs and find it great, easy to use, its going to France an Spain the end of the week :thumb:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
A sat nav is only as good as the person that uses it!

I use an everyday tom tom loaded with low bridges poi's in a 44ft artic, I check the route before hand & adjust it with way-points as necessary.

1005 if you must know ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with Rob, there is no sat nav with a brain.. that's where the 'human' comes in..

A Truck sat nav is simply a standard sat nav unit loaded with POIs for bridge heights, load and width limits.. they can all be added to a standard unit .. free

I certainly wouldn't go on a route without checking on a paper map.. especially in a country like Morocco where the road system varies from modern Autoroute to unmade sand and gravel roads.. many not even on a map ..

Buy the Michelin sheet map 742, plan your route then do the sat nav bit .. stage by stage.

Whatever unit you decide on, it won't come supplied with a map of Morocco, so check that it has it as an upgrade map available.. .. TomTom have one .. cost £44.95

My choice would be the basic TomTom unit from Broken Link Removed

TomTom XL UK, ROI & Western Europe Classic Sat Nav
£89.99

I chose this as I've had the TT XL One since 2007 .. a basic unit with no bells or whistles.. just does the job.. used it all over Europe .. yes, it will take you down daft roads if you let it.. but as said .. it doesn't have a brain..

Last edited:

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Mine is a Chinese NozaTec truck satnav including free updates ( and they are TOMTOM maps) all for under £60!

Works great but like all satnavs it takes time to understand how to work it and format it for your criteria.

We always plan our route on a map first and then use the satnav but always defer to the Map if in doubt.
The satnav is very useful for looking ahead at upcoming junctions and roundabouts etc so you can see exits and lane positioning.

Terry

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Or try an Android tablet with an app like CoPilot or Sygic. I have both (truck versions) on a 7 inch tablet. You can get some great mounts now rather than the silly wobbly phone ones. Morocco available on Sygic not CoPilot though.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
While on a sat nav thread--
Would anyone know why my Garmin Zumo keeps wanting to take me off at all motorway junctions just to guide me back on the motorway again on the same junction :Eeek:

I know it`s telling me lies but it is complicated working out time/miles to go when all ever does is go from junction to junction.

I have tried resetting , updating the maps , adjusting nav settings :cry:

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Thanks for all the info, its all good guidance but I think I'm leaning towards the old Tom Tom, just because I cannot get to see a Chinese unit, :thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the info, its all good guidance but I think I'm leaning towards the old Tom Tom, just because I cannot get to see a Chinese unit, :thumb::thumb:

wise choice.. and if you buy at Halfords or any other high street shop you have a no quibble return policy.. :thumb:

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Would anyone know why my Garmin Zumo keeps wanting to take me off at all motorway junctions just to guide me back on the motorway again on the same junction :Eeek:

I know it`s telling me lies but it is complicated working out time/miles to go when all ever does is go from junction to junction.

Have you used Garmin Basecamp/Mapsource to plan your route and upload to your satnav?
If you are make sure you zoom in when adding via points because some times you can click on the opposite carriageway which totally confuses the Zumo.
:winky:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

I had one that did that. I reinstalled all the software including maps and it sorted it. Works fine now.
I can recommend a Garmin Dezl 760. Nice and big, easy to read and works well. But, as others have said, you need to use a bit of common sense. If it does try and take you down a road you are not happy with, just carry on and it will recalculate a new route without any or the irritating " recalculating" statements.
Never got on with TomTom since one insisted I perform a u turn on the M23!
Allan

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
By way of an anecdote, but an important lesson nonetheless, here's a recent experience I had with my TomTom in Udo...

I was returning from having Udo's new stereo fitted in Reading and needed to get back to his storage place in Bordon. So a quick cross-county drive.

Looking very briefly at a map, I figured an easy main-road route should be selected by my TomTom Go400... It was configured for main road selection.

So off I drive and all is good for 20 minutes or so. Then it advises I turn left. I know this is a lane, so ignore it and carry on until it sorts out a 'better' route. That happens and I soon get another request to turn left onto an even smaller lane. I ignore that, too.

Then it recalculates and the ETA shoots up and it gets pretty insistent I turn around. So I stop and check. Crikey! Better turn around and head down that lane back there. It can't be too bad...

And it wasn't. But that lane went to another. And another. And another. And they get progressively smaller and narrower. To be honest, it got me pretty worried.

I ended up being spat out of the final very narrow lane 3 miles from Udo's storage place. Hardly a 'main road' route. I wasn't happy. Udo was fine but my nerves were a trifle raw by this point.

So, two things:

1. Driving a large-ish MH down narrow lanes isn't so bad after all. It's possible and perfectly doable.

2. The sat nav route SHOULD be checked beforehand. Truly. I know this yet blindly followed it like some lemming. CHECK!!!

Would a different sat-nav have directed me any differently? Who knows?

Is it worth changing the thing for another model? Probably not. Have I looked? Yes. Will I? Probably not.

The problem was the idiot using it. This is why maps are so bloody handy. They don't tell you what to do.

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I can recommend a Garmin Dezl 760. Nice and big, easy to read and works well. But, as others have said, you need to use a bit of common sense. If it does try and take you down a road you are not happy with, just carry on and it will recalculate a new route without any or the irritating " recalculating" statements.

Hi Alanm, do you have the Motorhome & Caravan model or the Truck version.

Brisey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back