I need a good laugh re covers (2 Viewers)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Kiddiwinks
I started a different thread ref cleaning my Motorhome earlier now I've decided what I'm going to do with that problem,
I would now like to know what you good people think about covers over the winter, do you use them, do you recommend them if so which one or are you of the opinion that they are a waste of time.
All comments welcomed especially funny ones, I could do with a good laugh now I've found out how much to have my Motorhome valeted. :-/
Many thanks Tony

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Winter cover?

We still use her at least every other weekend throughout the winter so no need for a cover Tony.

Hope to be spending most of the winter in Spain and Portugal this year.

Hymie.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Kiddiwinks
I started a different thread ref cleaning my Motorhome earlier now I've decided what I'm going to do with that problem,
I would now like to know what you good people think about covers over the winter, do you use them, do you recommend them if so which one or are you of the opinion that they are a waste of time.
All comments welcomed especially funny ones, I could do with a good laugh now I've found out how much to have my Motorhome valeted. :-/
Many thanks Tony
If they don't fit perfectly and completely snugged down they can rub the surface and damage it, plus even breathable covers can trap moisture. I bought one for first van and never used it more than once after discovering the hard way how much of a pain they are to put on and off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never even considered one because we use our MH all year round.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Before putting any cover on the van must be spotlessly clean as any dirt left on will be ground into the van surface. As has been said even the "breathable" covers will trap moisture in the van resulting in green mould over surfaces inside the van. Unless the van is in a very sheltered position the cover will move and damage the van surface, I have seen vans with the gel coat rubbed through on the corners.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Will also block your solar panels.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Never had one, always thought that any movement would abrade the surface, more especially if not thoroughly clean. and if they rub against Acrylic Windows?. I always think that the one`s you see on the fronts of Caravans, will eventually produce microscopic scratching as no matter how tight you get the straps they are going to move?

I do have one though for the Triumph, "auto pyjama`s" (currently undergoing "surgery"!). And used as a "Dust Cover", as it lives in the garage in winter, where it`s nice and warm (ish).!!.

Pete

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is covered with a big shed and seems OK, no problems with it rubbing or breathing as it a fairly loose fit BUT the roof part does cover the solar panels which means I run the EFOY fuel cell in storage.

Martin

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have never considered covers for any vehicle I've had. My belief is that they were made to live/operate outdoors so should be okay without them. However any vehicle benefits from being cleaned regularly and, more importantly, being used, even if only for half an hour every couple of weeks.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we had a caravan we covered it in winter. Such a faff to put on and take off. Kept the van clean but it caused lots of condensation inside. Would not have one for MH we use it too much.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It would be a pain in the arse to put on and discourage you from using the van and even if you are not using the van you should be taking it out for a drive every few weeks. You get far more clutch, engine & brake problems with vans that are left standing.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Its like a loose condom............... not that I'd know, you understand.... :whistle:

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Its like a loose condom............... not that I'd know, you understand.... :whistle:
You've been looking over the urinal haven’t you, I must watch who is standing next to me when using public toilets next time :)
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Never used a cover, seems they produce more problems than they cure.
Hi Reallyretired Yes it seems that this is the concensus that these covers can be more problems than enough, but I was hopeing to reduce the cleaning to the roof not the rest of the van which I can access quite easily.
Best Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back