I need a DIY option to replace my activated charcoal filter (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am throwing this out to all you money saving funsters.
My recirculating Neff cooker hood takes these filters pictured below. £80 :eek: I am on my second one and looking for a way to lesson the expense of buying another. It seems to me that the frame could be kept and new activated charcoal put inside and new charcoal filters stuck to the outside.
Anyone done this?
Is it worth it?
Am I just being too much of a cheapskate? (But I do like a challenge!)
5EEB5DE5-916D-4ACD-BB10-00A24CA826A6.png

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you look on eBay you will find universal sheets for cooker hoods in different size. To use them I guess you would have to take your filter apart.
You can also get activated charcoal powder but I suspect this might be difficult to handle and not what is in your filter anyway.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Not a simple soloution, but is there anyway you could duct to the outside?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Not a simple soloution, but is there anyway you could duct to the outside?
That was considered at the time by the kitchen fitters and rejected as being too difficult a run of ducting. I didn’t press too hard as, at the time, my husband was recovering from a double heart bypass and had decided to give up all fried food so we only had steam to deal with from the hob.

Over the intervening years, he has developed a taste for frying things again :(

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I don't know if it's true but putting the filter out in bright sunlight is meant to help. Releases some of the trapped odours etc. You might need to Google for more info. One of our work fans used to say to put the filter outside in sunlight every month to prolong the life of the filter. Providing yours is not clagged up with grease it might be an option? (And, if it is clagged up, consider putting a grease trap filter cloth before the carbon filter?)

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don't know if it's true but putting the filter out in bright sunlight is meant to help. Releases some of the trapped odours etc. You might need to Google for more info. One of our work fans used to say to put the filter outside in sunlight every month to prolong the life of the filter. Providing yours is not clagged up with grease it might be an option? (And, if it is clagged up, consider putting a grease trap filter cloth before the carbon filter?)
Yes it is very greasy on the outside. I think that is a good idea to add some of the grease trap paper.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Could you soak it in warm bath with Fairy Liquid or similar then dry well in an oven (hot as you dare if the filter is all metal and charcoal) and when dry pop it outside on a sunny day. Might be worth a try as £80(ish) is a bit steep for a domestic hob fan filter. Won't be perfect but might see you through another few months and then with the new filter you can start off with the grease trap paper.

(y) (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the charcoal in it is pellets you could cut a 20mm dia hole in the side, empty and refill with activated charcoal pellets probably cost less than a tenner. That's what I do with my SOG underfloor filter costs me about £3 instead of £25 for a new filter.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Could you soak it in warm bath with Fairy Liquid or similar then dry well in an oven (hot as you dare if the filter is all metal and charcoal) and when dry pop it outside on a sunny day. Might be worth a try as £80(ish) is a bit steep for a domestic hob fan filter. Won't be perfect but might see you through another few months and then with the new filter you can start off with the grease trap paper.

(y) (y)

The frame is plastic

If the charcoal in it is pellets you could cut a 20mm dia hole in the side, empty and refill with activated charcoal pellets probably cost less than a tenner. That's what I do with my SOG underfloor filter costs me about £3 instead of £25 for a new filter.
I will order one of the compatible ones and then take apart the old one. Cannot just refill as the outside layer is the close woven mat type and that is grease laden.
I have to admit, I have not been changing every 6 months ! :whistle2:

Reactions: BwB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use a metal filter in our cooker hood, we just put it in the dishwasher to clean. But ours extracts outside for indoor I think you still need a carbon filter to get rid of the smells.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
How do you know it needs changing?
Now that is a good question that I also pondered when I changed the SOG filter earlier this year. !
All I can say is that it looks clagged with grease on the underside, and it has been 10 years this April since we had the kitchen done and I have changed the filter once ! :whistle2: However no frying for the first 5 or so years, it’s been 17 years since hubby’s heart attack and now he has decided he is going to live, he has been treating himself to a bit more stir frying of veg.:unsure::oops:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Sounds like it may be due then, but it does also make the replacement cost a bit more bearable when it lasts a good few years.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Is the replacement part like a cassette? Just asking because I replaced the innards of a thetford electric filter cassette. Just wondering if its the same sort of thing. The activated charcoal foam was cheap and the so were the granules. It might be worth having a look to see if it can be opened.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Is the replacement part like a cassette? Just asking because I replaced the innards of a thetford electric filter cassette. Just wondering if its the same sort of thing. The activated charcoal foam was cheap and the so were the granules. It might be worth having a look to see if it can be opened.
Not quite like the Thetford SOG one but I will take it apart once I get a replacement I will take it apart and examine it. I think I got the SOG one for about £17 so it wasn’t so bad.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Not quite like the Thetford SOG one but I will take it apart once I get a replacement I will take it apart and examine it. I think I got the SOG one for about £17 so it wasn’t so bad.
I bet there isn't anything amazing inside it when you take it apart.
£17 for the Thetford SOG thingy is the cheapest I've seen it but even at that price its still only some foam and a few granules.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back