I need a 1000w Pure Sine Wave Inverter. (2 Viewers)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As per my title, whats the Model/Type I should be looking for, I will need to be charging on the move 2 x 500Wh ebike batteries, perhaps together, am I OK with 1000w inverter. Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To charge both at once you will need a bigger one and a big battery bank. We have 2x 400w bosch powered bikes & a 1000W inverter I can charge them both at once but have to plug one in wait a couple of minutes then plug the other one in or they trip the inverter, it does hammer the batteries.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
To charge both at once you will need a bigger one and a big battery bank. We have 2x 400w bosch powered bikes & a 1000W inverter I can charge them both at once but have to plug one in wait a couple of minutes then plug the other one in or they trip the inverter, it does hammer the batteries.

Hope to be charging while moving, wouldn't want to try charging them while static and off grid.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As per my title, whats the Model/Type I should be looking for, I will need to be charging on the move 2 x 500Wh ebike batteries, perhaps together, am I OK with 1000w inverter. Thanks in advance.

Might be well overkill, it's not the battery rating you need to look at but the charger wattage. It may be as low as 100W per charger.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I did a thread somewhere on the cheapish one I installed and so far about a year later it is still working. It was 1500W but that size will allow you to run a small espresso machine or a travel hairdryer - should either be required. :)
I think rating would be a a better size for your batteries.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hope to be charging while moving, wouldn't want to try charging them while static and off grid.....
In that case i would look into wiring the inverter off the engine battery as the leisure battery (at least in my case) would discharge with a big load on, even with the engine running, especially when the fridge is taking 10 amps too.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We charge our electric bike batteries each battery is 400w and our inverter is a 600w Stirling pure sine wave and they pull 1.4 amps each we have 200w solar and a 50amp Stirling b2b charger so charging both on the move is no problem, on solar sometimes one at a time depending on the weather. :LOL: Bob.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You get what you pay for with inverters, and if you are looking at running it at full capacity you should go for a good one.
Durite or Ring, a lot of people swear by Sterling also, but personally I'm not impressed with their newer models.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@jumar It is the draw from the chargers that is the key thing, not the size of the bike batteries, so Colin says. What is the ampage printed on the charger or wattage?

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@jumar It is the draw from the chargers that is the key thing, not the size of the bike batteries, so Colin says. What is the ampage printed on the charger or wattage?

Hi Guys, waiting delivery of bikes from Germany ( Needed LHD Models) I believe it comes with a 2 amp charger....the battery capacity is 500Wh...more info when bikes arrive.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also fitted a 1kw Sunshine solar inverter to charge 2 Kalkhoff ebike batteries, camera batteries, a couple of Mac laptops. In fact anything that couldn't be charged or used direct from a USB or a 12v power supply.

The remote control on/off which also shows battery state and power being used is worth buying, .. it's a plug and play.

Used generally while driving to charge the batteries, but 150watt of solar power was adequate to charge the batteries and not deplete the habitation batteries.

If you don't use sites with EHU the inverter, used sensibly, is good investment.

The cable supplied is about 1mt and has lugs fitted for ease of installation, mine is less than a meter from the battery in a bed locker.. It
also requires a 100A mega fuse fitted at the battery terminal ..

I also fitted 3 CBE sockets

Didn't get on with e-bikes, sold them and bought road bikes, but won't get rid of the inverter..

https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/ind...f=VP1000&sid=vk8jdt3532yst18kx034o4yc3j4w419i

IMG_0353.jpg IMG_0354.jpg IMG_0355.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I believe it comes with a 2 amp charger....the battery capacity is 500Wh..

What I guessed at. Most are 36V these days so your charger will be needing 36 * 2 = 72W plus a bit for losses. Say 100W.

500Wh / 36V = 14Ah so you are looking at 7 hours plus full charge time.

Simples.

I use a 300W inverter for similar load but only carry 1 charger.

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015

Last week I emailed several companies for advice with the same question - we have two Bosch 500W batteries for our e-bikes to charge whilst on tour. We have solar and two 110ah hab batteries.

Of those that bothered to respond, the size of Inverter they recommended ranged from 2000W to 350W for the same job, which was very confusing. It appeared that the 'don't really knows' just say bigger is best.

The most complete and helpful response was provided by Charles Sterling at www.sterling-power.com - from the info on my charger he calculated that I would need a 350W Inverter to safely charge one battery at a time, or bigger if I wanted to charge additional items.
Hence the purchase last week of a Sterling 600W Pure Sine Wave Inverter. £262.00
I fitted it at the weekend with an isolator switch and 80amp in line fuse.
I'm definitely no 'sparky' - but its a well made and reassuring bit of kit, very pleased with it.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Guys, waiting delivery of bikes from Germany ( Needed LHD Models) I believe it comes with a 2 amp charger....the battery capacity is 500Wh...more info when bikes arrive.
Ok, this is from Colin -
Based on the info given, the input to the charger is 240v at 2amps per charger, requirment for 2 chargers = 4amps at 240v, so 960watts. Meaning a minimum 1000w inverter needed, but better not to max out the inverter so go for 1500w. The draw from the batteries is roughly 4amps x 21 = 84amps.

You need to know what charge is coming from the alternator to the leisure batteries. If the alternator is not recharging the leisure batteries quick enough, bearing in mind it is also running the fridge while driving, it may be that you can only charge one at a time.

Not knowing the bike chargers it would best to go for pure sinewave to prevent any possible damage to the chargers.

Others may disagree or come up different maths, but this is Colin's view based on his experience.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ok, this is from Colin -
Based on the info given, the input to the charger is 240v at 2amps per charger, requirment for 2 chargers = 4amps at 240v, so 960watts. Meaning a minimum 1000w inverter needed, but better not to max out the inverter so go for 1500w. The draw from the batteries is roughly 4amps x 21 = 84amps.

You need to know what charge is coming from the alternator to the leisure batteries. If the alternator is not recharging the leisure batteries quick enough, bearing in mind it is also running the fridge while driving, it may be that you can only charge one at a time.

Not knowing the bike chargers it would best to go for pure sinewave to prevent any possible damage to the chargers.

Others may disagree or come up different maths, but this is Colin's view based on his experience.

Thanks Colin via Sandra...there are 2 Bosch chargers, 1 x 2 amp and the other 1 x 3 amp...I think my bike is going to arrive, perhaps the end of this week, I expect a 3 amp jobbie, Judiths bike arrives the end of the month...Factory Fresh, so to say.....so I prefer to charge both batteries at the same time, wouldn't want Judith to run out of watts during a ride, as the batteries are not interchangeable...well thats what I told her....BAD BOY MARTIN, no problem as she never reads this forum.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The remote control on/off which also shows battery state and power being used is worth buying, .. it's a plug and play.
I forgot i also bought one of these when i purchases my inverter , deffo should buy one if you have the inverter installed below say seats as you want to be able to turn it of easy once finished using it so it does not continue to draw some residual charge.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I haven't got an ebike so I'm not speaking from experience, but it seems surprisingly difficult to find actual amperage and wattage figures from the online adverts. Bosch do two chargers, Standard and Compact, that will charge a 500Watt-hour battery in 4.5 and 7.5 hours.

Looking at the higher-powered 'Standard' charger, 500 watt-hours in 4.5 hours is 500/4.5 = 111 watt-hours per hour. In other words, 111 watts. Call that 150 watts to allow for losses.

there are 2 Bosch chargers, 1 x 2 amp and the other 1 x 3 amp
(Note that 111 watts at 36 volts is 111/36 = 3 amps, as you said)

So for two chargers, that will be 300 watts. That's where the 350 watts inverter recommendation comes from, I presume.
Of those that bothered to respond, the size of Inverter they recommended ranged from 2000W to 350W for the same job, which was very confusing. It appeared that the 'don't really knows' just say bigger is best.

Personally I'd be happier with something more like a 500 watt pure sine wave inverter to be on the safe side.

Of course a 1000 watt inverter will manage perfectly well too, and you may prefer this for other reasons. Not least because you may have already bought one.

If you have a different charge time for your charger, you can re-do the calculations and come up with more suitable figures.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Colin says don't buy your inverter until you have seen the chargers. He has been researching your bikes and thinks you might get away with a smaller inverter.

Mind you, I say get the big one so you can run a decent coffee machine!

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Guys,

Bike one, (MINE) has been send from Germany.....if time permits I shall unpack, charge it up and take it out for a spin, but only if I have time, (YOU BET I WILL FIND TIME)
I can then report my findings are, the charger rate etc, and in return I should expect some final advice on what type/size inverter I require....to charge the batteries, not to make coffee' really Sandra...

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Guys,

Bike one, (MINE) has been send from Germany.....if time permits I shall unpack, charge it up and take it out for a spin, but only if I have time, (YOU BET I WILL FIND TIME)
I can then report my findings are, the charger rate etc, and in return I should expect some final advice on what type/size inverter I require....to charge the batteries, not to make coffee' really Sandra...

Got this beast of a bike now....the charger is 36 volt 2 amp....Bosch says it takes 7.5 hours to charge flat battery......500wh......my only leisure battery is 115ah....
Calculator out Colin.....what inverter do you advise?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
What I guessed at. Most are 36V these days so your charger will be needing 36 * 2 = 72W plus a bit for losses. Say 100W.

500Wh / 36V = 14Ah so you are looking at 7 hours plus full charge time.

Simples.

I use a 300W inverter for similar load but only carry 1 charger.

Ok, this is from Colin -

You two should get a room, get your old electrical training certificates out and thrash it out between you......

@jumar

I am no electrical engineer but here's what I think you should do... Some may call it overkill, I call it killing several birds with one bank card...

As already pointed out. No matter what size inverter you have and what the draw off it will be, if you have it connected to the leisure battery(s) when being used you run the risk of arriving with half charged leisure batteries.

Get yourself a Stirling B2B or better still A2B charger hooked up to the leisure batteries minimum 50am.
Then get yourself a decent (I use stirling and swear by them) inverter, don't mess around get a decent one of 1500w minimum.

Then any draw taken out from your bikes will be replaced whilst you are driving along. However the bonus of this method is that you will also arrive with batteries ready to do their job in the van plus the option of being able to dry your hair, use straighteners a microwave coffee maker or anything else you may need to use...

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You two should get a room, get your old electrical training certificates out and thrash it out between you......

@jumar

I am no electrical engineer but here's what I think you should do... Some may call it overkill, I call it killing several birds with one bank card...

As already pointed out. No matter what size inverter you have and what the draw off it will be, if you have it connected to the leisure battery(s) when being used you run the risk of arriving with half charged leisure batteries.

Get yourself a Stirling B2B or better still A2B charger hooked up to the leisure batteries minimum 50am.
Then get yourself a decent (I use stirling and swear by them) inverter, don't mess around get a decent one of 1500w minimum.

Then any draw taken out from your bikes will be replaced whilst you are driving along. However the bonus of this method is that you will also arrive with batteries ready to do their job in the van plus the option of being able to dry your hair, use straighteners a microwave coffee maker or anything else you may need to use...
Yes, but he still needs to know what size his alternator is, before buying the B to B, or A to B, doesn't he?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Got this beast of a bike now....the charger is 36 volt 2 amp....Bosch says it takes 7.5 hours to charge flat battery......500wh......my only leisure battery is 115ah....
Calculator out Colin.....what inverter do you advise?
We still need to know what the input to the charger - somewhere around where it says 230v it will say what wattage is. Maybe a photo of the data plate on the charger will help us all disagree amongst ourselves, before you decide for yo8urself.:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, we have some fresh snow to go and slide on - back later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We still need to know what the input to the charger - somewhere around where it says 230v it will say what wattage is. Maybe a photo of the data plate on the charger will help us all disagree amongst ourselves, before you decide for yo8urself.:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, we have some fresh snow to go and slide on - back later.

Thanks @Armytwowheels I have sent whatsapp photo for you to look at after today's ski session.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
1.6 amp and 36v - 2amp

We have Yamaha 400w and ours is 1.4 amp 42v - 4.0 As said earlier we draw 2.8 amp and use a 600w Stirling pure sine wave. (y)

So I would say Paul @haganap is spot on with his over kill post, :LOL: we have a 50amp b2b and if I was you add another battery. :D Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back