I Might Use A Bit Of A Toll Road Now... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ever since the introduction of the electronic toll roads here in Portugal I have avoided them completely (except once by mistake).

This is 90% on principle and 10% because I didn't know an easy way to pay the charges.

One short piece of road, avoiding Tomar, on my route south was converted into a toll section and since then, I have stubbornly diverted through Tomar on each trip despite the extra time and cost in diesel this must cause.

Yesterday I put an app on my phone and now I can pay any of these bloody criminal electronic toll charges by pressing a few buttons.

Shortly I will travel south for the festive season. I will test my new system then.

I love technology.

(Only works for Portuguese registered vehicles.)

JJ :cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats the problem with having a Portuguese registered vehicle. They cant find the rest of us :).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If it's so damn clever, why is it only for Portuguese vehicles.
What difference does that make if you get the App.?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My mate lives in estoi and doesn't go on motorway if he can help it but if he does he just has a fine through the post, and pays it at the post office just the same price as paying any other way,( he says)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Oh yes they can Sir... and do!

Well they didnt charge me in April. Maybe there sophisticated number plate recognition only recognises Portuguese plates :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yesterday I put an app on my phone and now I can pay any of these bloody criminal electronic toll charges by pressing a few buttons.

Shortly I will travel south for the festive season. I will test my new system then.

So distressing, the all time great cheapskate considering paying. What next campsites ?

I think you need you memorise the Portuguese for "Can you direct me to the poorhouse".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well they didnt charge me in April. Maybe there sophisticated number plate recognition only recognises Portuguese plates :).

Same here, though March. Did the right thing, logged a CC with their machine then drove on. Not a penny charged. Mind you we did not use much mway.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If it's so damn clever, why is it only for Portuguese vehicles.
What difference does that make if you get the App.?

Oh dear...

Before I had the app, apparently I would have had to ring up somewhere, or go there, to see how much my recent tolls were, and then handing over the money.

This involved going to the place, getting a numbered ticket, waiting in line, etc etc etc.

It will make a huge, huge difference to me to have the app on the phone, see how much I owe, and pay it there and then by pressing a couple of buttons, without even getting out of my sun lounger.

With foreign reg vehicles, you do something different which I don't know much about. I believe it involves registering a credit card linked to your vehicle number plate. I suspect you do this when you enter the country. I am already here...

Okay?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I understand that it only works for the people who have Portuguese plates but I have to ask, Why.
My credit card has been abused up and down the land (Portugal) for the past month, and, whilst here I've bought things from foreign countries that will be delivered to my home while I'm away.

It just doesn't make any sense. I register on line with the PT authorities and use the Motorways. Whether the vehicle is registered here or elsewhere, my card can be debited.
Portugal are losing out.

Deleted User
Oh dear...

Before I had the app, apparently I would have had to ring up somewhere, or go there, to see how much my recent tolls were, and then handing over the money.

This involved going to the place, getting a numbered ticket, waiting in line, etc etc etc.

It will make a huge, huge difference to me to have the app on the phone, see how much I owe, and pay it there and then by pressing a couple of buttons, without even getting out of my sun lounger.

With foreign reg vehicles, you do something different which I don't know much about. I believe it involves registering a credit card linked to your vehicle number plate. I suspect you do this when you enter the country. I am already here...

Okay?

Portuguese seem to love their ticket machines and queues.........they have a lot more patience than I:)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Mr Emmitdb...

Just link your credit card with your foreign number plate once when you enter.

Job done.

My vehicle is registered with the Portuguese equivalent of the DVLA, so I use the app.

Yours isn't so you do it differently.

How are they "losing out"?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can only wealthy foreigners who own a credit card use these toll roads JJ. What about those of us with no credit rating, are we not welcome :).

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Can only wealthy foreigners who own a credit card use these toll roads JJ. What about those of us with no credit rating, are we not welcome :).

Use a debit one Mr S.

I don't have a credit card either... (well actually I do have a sort of one in Portugal.)

Wealthy folk with cedit cards?

Are there such people?

Surely they pay with gold sovereigns... ;)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Portugal are not meant to charge folk to import vehicles from other EU countries (free movement of goods and services etc) but they do... ;)

I can't believe the EU forced the Portuguese government into making the SCUT roads into tolls.

Anyhow, as posted at the start of the thread, just letting people know, there is a app (CTT) that allows any Funster with a Portuguese plated vehicle to pay for the electronically controlled motorways easily.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Im under the impression that the EU compelled Portugal to setup a toll system to keep its bailout on track

https://www.ft.com/content/59949c24-0a3a-11e3-9cec-00144feabdc0

No I dont blame the EU for all the bad things, but I do wish it was more accountable and more sensible.

Can't open the link, need to be a subscriber, perhaps you could copy and paste the relevant section. Was the compulsion a general financial measure for Portugal to comply with EU financial rules perhaps?

As far as I can remember there were objections from Spain at the time of the introduction of the A22 tolls on the grounds that the EU subsidised the building of the road but I do not know if this ever got as far as an official complaint.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've been here over a month and I'm yet to meet two people in Portugal who give the same answer to the same question. ie how do I pay as I go to use Portuguese Toll Roads.
No two answers are the same (and, if I ask a third person, I get another answer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mr Emmitdb...

Just link your credit card with your foreign number plate once when you enter.

Job done.

My vehicle is registered with the Portuguese equivalent of the DVLA, so I use the app.

Yours isn't so you do it differently.

How are they "losing out"?

It appears that once the foreign card & number plate are linked ,no one is taking any money.

Deleted User
I have lost track of the number of times that I have posted this link on the forum, it really is not difficult

Link Removed

Click on the 'how to pay' tab, there are several ways to pay, easiest is to use the 'easy toll' facility at the border.

Or buy a tollcard before using the motorway, there are a few ways to do this, including online, it is all clearly explained in the link'

As Punch would say 'that's the way to do it':xgrin:......the only way.

Deleted User
It appears that once the foreign card & number plate are linked ,no one is taking any money.

They are doing now, mine was debited for the 2 journeys I made in November.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back