I love my old Hymer! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it left hand drive as it was obviously imported in 2003.I would assume anyway as that was when it was registered.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is our B544 , a cracking van , 12 years old and everything in great condition.
image.jpeg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Left hand drive! Does that matter?

not to me.. even driving in the UK it's not a problem.. in fact it can be helpful on narrow lanes .. and it's great abroad,.. feels natural when driving on the RHS

the majority of old Hymers will have been imported.. so all LHD .. no worries..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger

Ours is LHD and I get on fine in the UK and even better abroad. The other little detail I like is that I have the drivers door beside me. Bit cheaper as well.

We will probably be selling it next year as we want to upgrade a bit. Only little things like the fridge being a bit higher up as gets harder to get down to as we get older! It will almost for sure be another Hymer as I wouldn't want to be saying in a few years "wished we never sold it"!

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a lucky man who is happy with what he already has. There is always newer, bigger, better, but the man who treads THAT road is never happy.

Keith Hart
So very true. The only van we saw at the NEC last month that was close to our 2003 Burstner (part of the Hymer group) was a Frankia. If we had traded in our van to get one it would have cost us about £50k. Simply not worth it when we have what we need in the current van.

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
are you all members of the caravan club or the c and cc club?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But, it seems there have been a lot of threads about problems with Hymers.
Not half as many as there have been about Swifts over the years. Leaky Kontiki? ;)

Are there any specific problems with the B745?
Not that I'm aware of Allan, but I think you'll find it is the B754, which was introduced around 2000/01, and is the same layout as our E690, which was phased out in 1999. It doesn't have the integrated bike rack built in to the rear wall, which the earlier E Class and S Class models of the mid to late nineties had.
We have had a look at quite a few German vans, but worry they seem a bit, er, how can I put this without offending any Hymer/ Burstner owners, flimsy inside compared to ours.
We looked at a used Compass Drifter some years ago at a dealer near us. I opened a lower kitchen cupboard, and the door came away in my hand. :eek: The same thing happened to Rita, with an overhead cupboard door, in a spanking brand new British built MH at the NEC. :eek:
We've not had that happen once on our ageing Hymer. (y)

Like others, it is something you soon get used to here in the UK, and buying the left hooker actually encouraged me to cross the water, which as a caravanner, was something I had been talking about for years, but never pushed myself to actually do. Now with the LHD MH, I can't get across often enough.........................and I'm not to blame for that (cue SWMBO). ;)

Good luck with the search for your MH. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
are you all members of the caravan club or the c and cc club?

Was CC for 25 years. Now with C&CC and MCC who are Motorhome friendly..............for want of a better term. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
We are in all three but considering leaving the CC as we hardly ever use their site or CLs and their rallies are a pain to go to compared to the other two clubs.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Good to see so many proud Hymer owners. And why not? They last forever and are instantly recognisable, as well as being renowned for build quality and style. Ours is 9 years old this month, and we bought it four years ago after owning two brand new vans which were not a patch on the Hymer. And I expect to still be running and enjoying it in another four years or more. We were lucky to pick up a well cared for van which the one previous owner had clearly spent a lot on, adding leather trim, Oyster 85 automatic satellite system, full aircon, extra 240v sockets, a 5m awning and a microwave. Al we had to add was Gaslow and a bike rack.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Is there an annual Hymer rally (I have looked at the various clubs and things on google but nothing has jumped out at me)?

If there is roughly when and where is it please? It would be interesting to see a variety of types at one place.

Clive:wine:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Interesting, were I on the mainland and there definately was not one I would consider organising one myself - may be in 2 years and 4 months when I am set free. It would be an informal thing if done by me!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is there an annual Hymer rally (I have looked at the various clubs and things on google but nothing has jumped out at me)?

If there is roughly when and where is it please? It would be interesting to see a variety of types at one place.

Clive:wine:

Hymer rally? Don't know but I agree and if there were one we would go too! Gary
HCI run them don't they?

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I have looked at the HCI site a number of times and found some useful bits but formed (perhaps erroneously) the opinion that their rally(ies) seemed to be more European mainland than the UK. I was hoping for something reasonably accessable on the UK mainland.

Having now opened my mouth to change feet (though by pen for a change) I will look at their site again.

Thank you Graham

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Just been onto their site and note there are rallies in the UK, one (possibly 2) in Wales, one in the Midlands (I think (Battle of Bosworth field?)). Dates sadly not conducive.

Also looked at some of the previous forum comments while trawling through which were interesting.

The site itself did not appear dynamic like this one but this is an active forum so not really comparable. It was interesting to see names which I recognise from here, though the postings were quite "mature". Mind you nowhere near as mature as my Hymer!

Clive

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Good to see so many proud Hymer owners. And why not? They last forever and are instantly recognisable, as well as being renowned for build quality and style. Ours is 9 years old this month, and we bought it four years ago after owning two brand new vans which were not a patch on the Hymer. And I expect to still be running and enjoying it in another four years or more. We were lucky to pick up a well cared for van which the one previous owner had clearly spent a lot on, adding leather trim, Oyster 85 automatic satellite system, full aircon, extra 240v sockets, a 5m awning and a microwave. Al we had to add was Gaslow and a bike rack.
View attachment 81401 View attachment 81402 View attachment 81403

That's a cracking looking van Gary, much like the one we took a shine to earlier this year. I kick myself a bit as I lost out trying to get them to raise their offer on our van. I like how the extra half metre on your van allows for that extra large kitchen area. We would still like another B544, so much space and I still sleep better in the drop down bed than I do in the kingsize at home! Dave

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
That's a cracking looking van Gary, much like the one we took a shine to earlier this year. I kick myself a bit as I lost out trying to get them to raise their offer on our van. I like how the extra half metre on your van allows for that extra large kitchen area. We would still like another B544, so much space and I still sleep better in the drop down bed than I do in the kingsize at home! Dave
Thank you Dave, that's very kind of you. I think we were lucky the day bought it as another couple had driven all the way from Wales and we're hoping we wouldn't do the deal. Just sows you how popular they are; we got £30k for our 3 year old Chausson and added another £11k to get this, but I don't regret the deal. And we got it not far from you, at Edgehill Motorhomes in Mansfield.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We're members of the HCI and have attended quite a few rallies with them. We did a tour of Bavaria and the Tyrol with them in the summer, and a brewery rally in Lincolnshire in September. We're also attending their Benidorm rally in January. Lots of Hymers of all vintages in one place (y) btw @HymerB544 we also bought ours from Edgehill 4 years ago - he's now 11 years old and we wouldn't swap him :)

http://www.hymerclub-international.co.uk

Last edited:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
We're members of the HCI and have attended quite a few rallies with them. We did a tour of Bavaria and the Tyrol with them in the summer, and a brewery rally in Lincolnshire in September. We're also attending their Benidorm rally in January. Lots of Hymers of all vintages in one place (y) btw @HymerB544 we also bought ours from Edgehill 4 years ago - he's now 11 years old and we wouldn't swap him :)

http://www.hymerclub-international.co.uk

Thank you for the above, have visited the site a number of times and will join. In my case it would seem that I will not be able to participate until I retire (two years four months) when I will have the time and flexibility.

I intend to use the mine (Helen the Hymer 540 DS) for the next couple of years and then update to a later 514 for retirement. Presently awaiting parts from Germany to complete the mechanical overhaul then a thorough clean and overhaul of the body inside and out. No changes other than updating of electrical and water systems, replacement solar panels and controller, repairs or replacement of those parts tired or damaged over the previous 33 years.

Thank you again, the responses again prove the worth of this site.

Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back