LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes, I used to use that very handy link Jim. (y)

Although the taller garage on the "G" models would have been handy for storing the bikes, we didn't want the tranvesre rear bed.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
upload_2015-2-3_9-31-56.jpeg

24 years old - just done 2000+ miles to Mallorca and back - cruised 60-65 all day(y)(y)(y)

Eribacar - coach-built bit by Hymer(y)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Alice, our old 1986 MB 608 passed her last 3 mots (in our custody) with no advisories, with over 700.000kms on the clock - one of them directly on return from India ... (y) - and she's still going strong 3 years later.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Not on the MOT sheet, but an advisory on the service sheet was 'cracked undertray'.

I went out to take a look the other day crawling all under looking for this 'tray', then I discovered it was that small glassfibre one that sits on the right of the sump, not really sure exactly what it's protecting :unsure:

I went in to tell Ginny that I'd found it and that it had a small crack that I could repair quite easily (y)

Back came the reply, "as long as it won't leak when we're having a shower" :whistle:o_O:D;)

Bless her :love:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Same here, and ours is coming up for 16 years old.(y)

I get severe withdrawal symptoms if more than a fortnight of not using her, (the MH that is ;) ).

Cheers,

Jock.View attachment 53492

Jock... I can see by how nice and clean your van looks that all the time spent out in the bays practicing on Mk9 fire trucks was put to good use! :wasntme:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jock... I can see by how nice and clean your van looks that all the time spent out in the bays practicing on Mk9 fire trucks was put to good use! :wasntme:
You're not wrong Dave, and it didn't stop there, what with with JCDD Specification Dennis, Scania, based WrTL Pumps, and MAN based RVs (Rescue Vehicles, for others reading) and TLs. ;)

Mind you, there was a not a lot of polishing needed with IRR paint. :LOL: Painting everything else internally with "eau de nil" certainly made up for it though. :LOL:
Those were the days, eh Dave? (y)

Where the attention to the MH is concerned, I think you could call it an occupational hazard. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock.

Last edited:

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
She looks a beauty Nigel, would they be a couple of LED's you have poking out of the grill?

Yep, well spotted. ÂŁ8.50 for the lights and ÂŁ5.99 for the wiring control unit to switch them correctly with the head lights (off on dip and on with main beam, and on without head lights like normal drl's.

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
lovely van and looking at the Hymer guide a nice layout.. fixed bed ?

what is the length please ?

It is 6.99m long. It has a u shape rear lounge that we leave as a king size rear bed. There is a four seat dinette and both front seats swivel and the steering wheel is removable so we don't need the extra lounge. The layout works really well for the four of us as we all have a large bed each.

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
we have a 26 year old 694 hymer that we have owned for about 14 years we love it its been all over france and spain several times never missed a beat.we have seriously looked for the last 3 years to buy a newer modle but just cant find anything that feels better than we have .we will keep looking you never no it would be nice to upgrade maybe we just to fussy and been spoilt.

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I am toying with buying a Hymer Camp 64 but it is fairly old and done 90,000.
Hi anyone know about these vans please?

Damp and rust free apparently. Anything I should ask the seller?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi I am toying with buying a Hymer Camp 64 but it is fairly old and done 90,000.

do you have any photos.. a link to an advert ?

90,000 is nothing to be worried about with a diesel engine.. , but I would ask for the chassis and engine service history and when it had the cam belt done.. if no history , then it requires a cam belt and service, you are loooking at ÂŁ450 - ÂŁ500

ask to see everything working.. fridge, water heater, etc etc .. these are expensive items to replace

check for broken fixtures and fittings.. they may be difficult to source, also windows and cathes.. roof lights etc .. Hymer spares are expensive..

have a good look inside the lockers.. if there is a musty damp smell it may well have damp.

have a test drive.. and if possible take along someone who knowns about motorhomes..

sorry can't help much more.. not familer with that particular Hymer .. treat it as you would a second hand car.. with suspicion.. don't accept the sellers word .. ask to see reciepts or proof of any work he claims has been done..

you may get a better response posting a fresh thread in this forum headed: Information about Hymer Camp 64 wanted.. .. or words to that effect

last bit of advice.. join the forun as a full member.. it may well be the best ÂŁ15 you spend ..

I didn't expect to own a Hymer when I last posted in the thread.. but now I am I couldn't be happier.. love my B644

DSCF1946-001.JPG

Last edited:

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks. Have uploaded a couple of pictures but I can't see the registration

Attachments

• Hymer 64.png
    Hymer 64.png
    370.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Hymer Picture.png
    Hymer Picture.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 37

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hymer, Dungeness, 29 feb '14 1.jpg

One of the main things to check, esp if its based on either fiat ducato, citroen c25 or Talbot express is the Gearbox; has it been rebuilt, as it is a weak spot on these models..........although not every vehicle will be afflicted.
Just seen pic's posted......it does look clean, so as Jim has already said, use your nose............damp smells! Check lockers etc........also any staining in overhead lockers, around skylights etc ?

Does it smoke on starting ? when warm has smoke disappeared ? take it for a drive, any clonks squeeks etc.....do you feel happy driving it ?

Give me a shout if I can help any more.......certainly not trying to put you off, the older 'Classic@ hymers are brilliant.

All the best,

Andy

1989 Hymer 644

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Husband thinks it looks like a Talbot express base from the picture. Will ask seller for reg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You need @Tootles he has a Camp 64 as in earlier post in this thread and will surely be able to give some good pointers.
I bought my first moho (B544) in February this year and feel lucky to have dropped on such a good solid vehicle. Love every minute I spend in it !!!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It might not be as bad if you could actually SEE ÂŁ108.000 in one. NOTHING on wheels is worth that much. I was talking to this guy with a brand new 'Whatever' last year on a site in Dorset. "Are you thinking of buying a new MH", he asked. When I said 'why'? he commented that ours was 'pretty old'. Not chuffed when I said that not only would ours go anywhere his would, but that it was fully paid for..........:)

It's a matter of opinion obviously as we thought the Duomobil was pretty good value for money.

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
I guess you think Hymers are better than Swift? I was looking at a Voyager but it is very expensive from a dealer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back