I love Motorhoming Because....... (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I love Motorhoming Because.......

It brings our family together, Sian and I run a couple of different businesses and sometimes we are guilty of being too busy for our children. What in the world could be more important than reading a bedtime story to your six year old? Nothing. But when I am at home, especially with a home office, I can miss basic time like this. I finish work and the kids have been in bed hours! Just because I had something more important to do!

However, when we are in the motorhome, we drink each other in, being together in the confines of the motorhome is fantastic, we become a proper family again, doing everything together as one unit, feeding off each other and growing closer together. In a couple of days time we will be heading down some French roads, not really knowing where we are, or where we are going to stop for the night, we will be singing some stupid songs at the top of our voices, loving every minute of it. There is nothing quite like it.

Motorhoming, thats why I love it. What about you guys.

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You said it all Jim. Just Steph and me now but there is something about motorhoming that brings you closer.
:roflmto:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Jim I never thought a hell raiser like you could be so poetic
i've seen a different side of you
ever thought about song writing or maybe romantic novelist :wub:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I love it because I've been planning to retire for several years but the closer it got the more frightened I'd become I suppose the fear of the unknown. Jan was worried because I've been a workaholic for 40 years & thought we'd end up drifting apart or I'd end up starting another business ( which I was already thinking about ).

We looked at houses abroad but decided against it as we never stay in one place, even on holiday, after 2 days I've hired a bike or a car and off we go exploring. We've had our fill of hotels, went to Dubai last year, the ultimate hotel holiday supposedly, it was just a parade of Posh & Becks wannabees showing off their wealth, we were glad to leave, only bit we liked was the desert trip (hence Morrocco).

So we bought the RV which was something we had always fancied & thought if we hate we'll just resell it, guess what we fell in love with it straight off. Its given us a new outlook on life and brought us closer together and we just want to get away all the time, I just hope we still love it as much in 10 years. The only bit I don't like is all the money I keep spending there is always something to add on or do, still there won't be much left for the kids to argue over at this rate, the latest thing Jan made me buy was a mobile washing machine. When we were in Cumbria recently she wanted to use it so I rigged it up at the back where no one would see it because I hate the blasted thing next thing you know all the ladies on site were cooing and billing over it like it was a new baby.

Anyway thats enough from me as you see I could go on forever about it

Cheers
Ror

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
reason for buying>>>2 Great Danes<<<

Do we love it >>>YES<<<

34ft 7500cc V8

Cool:Cool:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
HI Jim

Your reasons for loving motorhoming are why we love fulltiming. For my mistress of years ago called work I missed out on my first three children's early years, not this time around with Jess

stew

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Being a truck driver motorhomes always seemed to get in my way leisurely loping along while i had places to be, we were looking to buy Spanish property but the prices seemed to soar, one day i driving the truck and passed an Rv for sale on a pub car park curiosity got the better and stopped for a closer look that was it hooked and we bought. one our first trip to the Lake district was so relaxing i wished i had thought of it sooner, now i understand why they leisurely lope along and i have more patience with them

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi why!! get the kids out of the house and see blighty+ loads off holidays:Smile:

before we where confined to static caravans and cabins now we are free to go anywhere!!!!!!!!!:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

ray

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:eek: I love Motorhoming Because.......

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

Wherever I go? It's our Home.

I can go where and when I please (within reason of course).

It's got everything we want/need/require/etc, etc, etc. (Except not enough space for Sandy to keep on filling).

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

:Cool: Everyone keeps saying how jealous they are and they WISH they could do it. :roflmto::roflmto:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We love-it because it give you that weekly "where shall we go this weekend?"
problem. one we like solving ::bigsmile:

regards....nige

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I love motorhoming because you can drive to wherever you feel like going.

You can go and meet up with friends, have a BBQ, chill out under the awning in good company, or, take off somewhere remote and quiet and settle down to read.

Wherever we go we always have a smile on our faces so its got to be good! ::bigsmile:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Whatever Jim said, I could not have put it better, we would never have got to know our twin granddaughters as well without the MH (we properly would but it wouldn't have been as much fun) the girls love the home, as they call it and we look forward to much, much more of it.

And also having the chance of buying good, cheep, beer on the continent, when travailing over there.

Ralph & Dot

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Oh No!, I hope I don't reach this point in my MH life.

I am not as enthusiastic as some on here but just being able to "load up" and go wherever my fancy takes me is very pleasing!

Maybe my enthusiasm will wear off, but, until then I hope to getaway and enjoy the freedom of the road, (well, I am in Scotland).
Anyway, night, night all
On the road tomorrow!!!!

I mean today!!!

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
It makes us get up and go, has to be used to justify the cost. There was always a reason why not to go away previously - might rain etc.

Seen more of the UK in last 15mths than ever before. Saw more of Scotland in 10 days last year than when I was living there for 18mths. Don't have to queue up to get into an airport which we had to do on a package holiday in Crete. Have more activity, walk more, bought bikes and ride more. Dogs love the beaches - my aging bully is like 'pepe le peu' on a beach, she just couch potatoes in front of the fire at home.

Finally - being brave enough to go to europe this summer, well Germany or France or Netherlands - changes by the week!

Can see over the top of hedges and see the countryside, odd you may say but my car is an MX5

Downside
Spend more - for must haves. Actually the only stupid thing I have bought was a portable washing machine which after testing it on the kitchen worktop hasn't seen the light of day. All other must haves are used all the time.
garden still needs doing
worry that someone is going to steal/hurt my baby when we leave it in a carpark (totally irrational I know)
Want to upgarde to A class but can't afford it.

regards

Karen

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Neil and I are loving it!!!!

In all our married life not done many hotels until we did some touring on the countries that you have too see. We also toured on our motorbike for 6 weeks at a time, but I am not a person that packs light, so it was always a challenge (we ended up getting a small motorcycle trailer, so I could either get a suitcase in, or when Neil got his way a tent and camping stuff. Although this was great it was still hard work.

We always camped when the kids were little, either in a caravan, trailer tent or tent, and felt that we always spent quality time with our kids then but not the rest of the time as we were always busy working or doing DIY. The kids have flown the nest and although they are not really into the camping lark they have fond memories of our holidays together.

Neil ends up working most Sundays, making it 6 days a week, so this makes it tough to get away most weekends, we usually have to forward plan to arrange a weekend. But the plus side is that he can put Sundays in the bank, for extra time off added to our Annual Leave. So we tend to have long holidays, last year we managed 15 weeks off (6 weeks Spain and Portugal, and then 6 weeks in Morocco for Christmas).

It does make the rest of the year a bit manic though, but you cant have your cake and eat it. (well not at the moment).

What I love about the motorhome is not having to unpack all the time, setting up is minimal compared to tenting, I have a full size toilet (big bum you see), and a comfortable fixed bed, that doesnt need putting together all the time. Fridge Freezer, oven, heating.
As with all camping meeting people and being outdoors.

Hopefully in the next few years we are going to tackle a self build and then travel the world!!! Life is for living but work keeps getting in the way!!!

Regards Pat and Neil xxx

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Graham,
It's a rhd van,i am going to put it on evil bay this week,i dont find it soulless without a mate as i alway's take my ham radio gear with me and my Honda F/Blade. I think it's a case of been there done it,the M/Home thing i mean.

Ken

You have been motorhoming for 60 years (in your avatar) and ride a fireblade (does that make a 76 y o bike?)

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Why I love motorhoming

Like a few others we were gonna buy a property abroad,but the falling pound sort of put that on hold,we were buying in Tenerife then the rate went silly:cry:so a change of tack was needed.Having been a truck driver (Eddie Stobart) :thumb:for a few years and having driven round the country and around Europe I spoke to the management and she was up for a bit of motorhoming so we bought one and we've never looked back.::bigsmile:
I took early retirement in May 07 at the age of 55:roflmto:and we sold up the house,the car,the lot ,paid what we owed and we kind of full time now :Cool: being a pensioner has a few perks:winky:
Anyone reading this forum and trying to decide whether or not to buy a motorhome I say DO IT and DO IT NOW!

Ray Stewart

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I am re-writing the Motorhome Buyers Guide as it's somewhat out of date. I wrote it fourteen years ago! At the beginning I'd like to add a few inspiring ownership quotes So I was about to ask you in a thread why you love motorhoming but with a quick search I found I had asked the question before.

So 17 years later. I'll ask again. Why do you love motorhoming? :D

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Cheaper, longer holidays than flying.. In a nutshell.
Oh plus we can take what we want, even a motorcycle 🥰

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
For me its the "instant" changeover to full relax mode when seated in the cab.
It never ceases to amaze me how it changes my mindset from busy busy work stuff to total "leave the cares behind".

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
In one word, Freedom...

Having a van provides us with Freedom, the Freedom to go pretty much anywhere we want at the drop of a hat... After a bad week at work we can be in a Scottish Forrest, on a Welsh Beach, or in an English National Park within hours, with all the worklife baggage left behind.

Also the Freedom to make our own European holiday, if the weather is bad, or it's too hot we move, we have the ability to chase the sun and we get to explore soooo much more than if on a fixed location holiday.

Also, the Community, and friends that we've made.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The pleasure of always having your home with you.

I've often thought that watching wonderful scenery as we drive gently along, looking out of the large windscreen is like being part of a live travel documentary.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I love Motorhoming Because.......

It brings our family together, Sian and I run a couple of different businesses and sometimes we are guilty of being too busy for our children. What in the world could be more important than reading a bedtime story to your six year old? Nothing. But when I am at home, especially with a home office, I can miss basic time like this. I finish work and the kids have been in bed hours! Just because I had something more important to do!

When we are in the motorhome, we drink each other in, being together in the confines of the motorhome is fantastic, we become a proper family again, doing everything together as one unit, feeding off each other and growing closer together. In a couple of days time we will be heading down some French roads, not really knowing where we are, or where we are going to stop for the night, we will be singing some stupid songs at the top of our voices, loving every minute of it. There is nothing quite like it.

Motorhoming, thats why I love it. What about you guys.
Yes, I know its 16 years later, but I missed a lot of those bedtime story opportunities ,
It makes you think.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just go where we want when we want no need to book anything apart from the ferry. No horrible airports to deal with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back