I like car stereos....... (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Decided to tidy up my dash board and do away with some of the various leads by getting a new stereo with a usb port....... Decided to get a Sony from Halfords ( got a Halfrauds voucher for my birthday ). " It will fit straight in sir. Straight swap no messing about. Now would you like us to fit it for you". At another £30 quid for a straight swap the answer was no. Straight swap .......not. Got the wiring sorted out but the holder seems slightly different and the stereo will only go in two thirds of the way. I'm bound to be doing something daft ( other than going to Halfrauds ). Can anyone advise.:Smile:

Thanks

PS. It does sound good though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I ended up having to change the supporting cage to make the replacement head unit fit. wiring was a simple plug in adaptor so that took seconds. faffing around with the metal cage took about 1/2 hour or so

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There is a special tool you need to get the radio right in the slot ........

images

.....................Sorry:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The cage is part of the stereo, not the car. You need to swap that out too. Once you've done that, it depends how much room you have behind. Sometimes it is tight and the cables (especially if there are adapter boxes) can be hard to get out of the way. Sometimes you need to remove a panel so you can tug them from behind.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I paid the £30 and it was well worth it. The Halfords fitter had to change the wiring and the mount. He did a great job that looked the business. Saved all the hassle of me doing it.

All works superb and I'm really pleased with it.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The cage is part of the stereo, not the car. You need to swap that out too. Once you've done that, it depends how much room you have behind. Sometimes it is tight and the cables (especially if there are adapter boxes) can be hard to get out of the way. Sometimes you need to remove a panel so you can tug them from behind.

Theres plenty of room for the cables. I just need to figure out what to do with the cage. Tomorrows job I suppose. Thanks:thumb:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Had mine changed at Halfords the radio was reduced so the price I paid to have it fitted was the same price before the sale, to me a result. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Theres plenty of room for the cables. I just need to figure out what to do with the cage. Tomorrows job I suppose. Thanks:thumb:

remove the factory one, just a couple of screws as I recall. then fit the new one into its place and bend over a few of the punched out tabs to hold it firmly to the dash. oh and dont forget to fit the rubber buffer to the back to support the rear. then plug in radio and adapters including aerial and push the unit firmly into place

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a special tool you need to get the radio right in the slot ........

images

.....................Sorry:winky:

then some of this to stop the thing going too far in.....

dont laugh...mines fixed into the dash with it. :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back