I have just found the one item you should NEVER leave home without! (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve been using one of these for some years, even at home on my morning exercise During lockdown. It can get very depressing when you clean one day & the very next morning it’s just the same. Usually fast food packets, sweet rappers & cheap beer cans.
it seems nothing can be done to change attitudes.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am often coming across fast food rubbish left in car parks and beauty spots.

How easy would it be for the cardboard containers and paper to be printed with the car registration buying these foods at purchase, then the driver vehicle is responsible and can be identified.

Publicise the fact that cartons will have this identifying reg on them, see how they'd like that.!

The fast food vendors are so efficient with taking the order, to delivery hatch, a little auto printer combined with vehicle reg camera could easily print before being bagged, maybe the bag aswell.
They would just tear of the bit with the reg number and throw it out the window just the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Well done for collecting the rubbish. We live in a village about 9 miles from the nearest Junk food out let and the hedgerows are full of the wrappings that go round junk food. Coffee cups, bottles bags and the many wrappers that go round the stuff. These Junk food outlets should pay at least double the business rate of other proper restaurants, because of the amount of rubbish they generate. Rant over.
If you find Mc Donalds litter & the receipt is still in the bag, they can often be traced. Facebook messaged our local branch when I found some, they tracked the person's number plate within 30 minutes, I contacted the council & they issued a £150 fine.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For those on facebook, there's a number of relevant groups eg Wild Campers Against Waste, they do stickers etc too

JGD15

Free Member
Sep 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
AS Duetto
Exp
If we all picked litter in the area around where we are (home or away) it would make a huge difference and really increase the appearance of the area. .... and put a little social pressure on others!

I've been taking a picker for about 5 years whenever walking to the shops etc including along local dual carriageway and you get the benefit of exercise , thanks from others and ultimately a more pleasant place to walk. .. and also learn where all the local public litter bins are for the collected rubbish! A bag hoop makes picking quicker too. About once a week seems reasonable for 'bad' areas , once a month for others. Could be shared between neighbours when at home.

The amazing thing is that I not yet seen a litterer in action .. probably eyes too much on the ground. Certainly had a few odd looks when away with the motorhome .. its not yet an acceptable holiday activity!

It's such an easy thing to do with no real disadvantages and once started an area is much easier to maintain.

Your local parish council may offer assistance/kit too.. do give it some thought...:giggle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If we all picked litter in the area around where we are (home or away) it would make a huge difference and really increase the appearance of the area. .... and put a little social pressure on others!

I've been taking a picker for about 5 years whenever walking to the shops etc including along local dual carriageway and you get the benefit of exercise , thanks from others and ultimately a more pleasant place to walk. .. and also learn where all the local public litter bins are for the collected rubbish! A bag hoop makes picking quicker too. About once a week seems reasonable for 'bad' areas , once a month for others. Could be shared between neighbours when at home.

The amazing thing is that I not yet seen a litterer in action .. probably eyes too much on the ground. Certainly had a few odd looks when away with the motorhome .. its not yet an acceptable holiday activity!

It's such an easy thing to do with no real disadvantages and once started an area is much easier to maintain.

Your local parish council may offer assistance/kit too.. do give it some thought...:giggle:

I've seen a used nappy bag thrown out of the window of the car in front. Disgusting.

A lot of building waste ends up on the verges and in hedgerows round here. It's a major route for skip lorries which always seem to have very loose covers. They don't care.

Thanks for the tip about litter picks.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
They sell litter pickers in the pound shop.
Had one for 70 years Dad had one in his greengrocers shop, it had a swivel end, used it to get tins off the top shelf, as we are short arses.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks, litter is a big bug bear for me too. We always check behind the pitch as we leave it to check there is nothing left. I am convinced that the cargo pockets on trousers is for litter or rubbish. When out on the hills or other walks, I seemed to return with full pockets ready for the bin. When my kids were small, they would pick up everything. One day, when we were in a car park, my oldest, age about 6, went over to a car that had just thrown out a bag of litter. He picked it up and passed it back into the window and said ‘you dropped this’. They were so embarrassed that they drove off.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Litter pickers are also useful for retrieving stuff that you can't reach otherwise ... eg from skips ... :giggle:

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
As a dog owner I had a thought that if we all picked up one additional (not our own dogs) pile of mess what difference it would make... but I realise that maybe a step too far for some. I can honestly say that I have picked up "extra" on a Spanish campsite when some inconsiderate owner let their dog drop its load right in front of some friends pitch (non dog owners).

Litter picker is a good idea though....
I have to say that about every 2 weeks or so I do a litter pick down our Lane which is popular with walkers. One thing that has surprised me is the number of dog poo bags lobbed into the hedge. Just can’t get my head around picking up the poo and then throwing away in a plastic bag....madness.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
If you find Mc Donalds litter & the receipt is still in the bag, they can often be traced. Facebook messaged our local branch when I found some, they tracked the person's number plate within 30 minutes, I contacted the council & they issued a £150 fine.
I had a big bag dumped outside our old house with a pizza box, empty cans and empty packaging relating to fishing gear. There was a fishing pond down the road attached to a local fishing shop so I went to see them. They said they had tightened up on litter being left on site and were mortified that a fisherman had merely held onto it and thrown it once driving up the lane.

They rang me later and had managed to trace the fishing purchases back to a new member who had had his ticket removed and was unable to fish there anymore. The owner apologised and said that litter being left was the bane of his life but hadnt realised that the take it home rule could impact his neighbours.

Anyway we didn’t seem to have any more fishing litter after that !

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I have to say that about every 2 weeks or so I do a litter pick down our Lane which is popular with walkers. One thing that has surprised me is the number of dog poo bags lobbed into the hedge. Just can’t get my head around picking up the poo and then throwing away in a plastic bag....madness.
I know -why? We always pick up after our two unless in a very remote place where we flick with a stick where it would decompose without causing a problem.

but why bag it in plastic and then leave both, usually hanging in a tree:(

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Just throwing it out there (no pun intended) - but wouldn’t it be a great idea (fantastic PR) if a small rally could be held in an area that needs some attention. We could have a good pick and people would realise that not all Motorhomers are litter louts!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just throwing it out there (no pun intended) - but wouldn’t it be a great idea (fantastic PR) if a small rally could be held in an area that needs some attention. We could have a good pick and people would realise that not all Motorhomers are litter louts!!
Interesting idea ... could also prove some good PR for MH Fun too!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Minxy Girl - that’s exactly my thinking Mel. As long as we all have MHFun stickers we should get plenty of ‘brownie points’.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
May I play devil's advocate. :(

The first thing I ever used to do when stopping off in a layby for a break was to don rubber gloves, take black bin bag and pick up loads of rubbish... on the premise that every little bit helps. (I left the suspicious looking plastic bottles of yellow water lorry drivers left. :()

I don't do it now as I realise that it is how other carsl/lorries in the layby realise I am a lone traveller.. Have had TOO many scary episodes of sitting in the van reading, with my cuppa and a man just walking in through the door, or peering in with his nose pressed against the window. There are many weirdos out there and I could write a book. Thank God for Terry and Carol to name just two funsters I have phoned in the past to give details where I am in case 'I disappear'. . or car registrations if I can see them.. Not nice people.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

The first thing I ever used to do when stopping off in a layby for a break was to don rubber gloves, take black bin bag and pick up loads of rubbish... on the premise that every little bit helps. (I left the suspicious looking plastic bottles of yellow water lorry drivers left. :()

I don't do it now as I realise that it is how other carsl/lorries in the layby realise I am a lone traveller.. Have had TOO many scary episodes of sitting in the van reading, with my cuppa and a man just walking in through the door, or peering in with his nose pressed against the window. There are many weirdos out there and I could write a book. Thank God for Terry and Carol to name just two funsters I have phoned in the past to give details where I am in case 'I disappear'. . or car registrations if I can see them.. Not nice people.
Better take the pampas grass off the mirror joy ... should solve the issue then. 😄

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I have one in the garage of my motorhome. I always tidy up around me when wild camping so no one can blame me for anything.
It also doubles up as a handlebar holding device when loading up my 390 Duke. It just very nicely guides the front wheel into the wheel chock.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I need an extra hand - one for Kerry on her lead, one for the picker & one for the bag...

JGD15

Free Member
Sep 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
AS Duetto
Exp
Litteraction.org.uk have a national database of litter picking groups so might be useful to find an organised picking event to join near the rally ! Some of the groups do seem to be dormant however. .. searching required...

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Chatting to one of the villagers yesterday as he was litter picking. Collected 5 refuse sacks in a relatively short stretch of road! Like most others fast food and olastic bottles seem to be the biggest culprits.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance

It’s not just lorry drivers leaving yellow bottles in lay-bys. I see all too many parcel van delivery drivers chucking them out because they’re too busy to go to a proper toilet. I’ve reported quite a few of them so far.
I‘ve sent a couple of dash cam videos to DPD head office of their drivers doing just that.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

It’s not just lorry drivers leaving yellow bottles in lay-bys. I see all too many parcel van delivery drivers chucking them out because they’re too busy to go to a proper toilet. I’ve reported quite a few of them so far.
I‘ve sent a couple of dash cam videos to DPD head office of their drivers doing just that.
I can't for the life of me understand why folk cant empty the bottle if they use one for pee. As there are no toilet disposal points in greece i made the decision back in November to just not use my toilet and instead bag and bin solids and use a couple of milk bottles for pee....i just empty the pee in a bush and reuse the bottle ....managed that for over 3 months now ... give the bottle a rinse out and no probs whatsoever ...

I know they have to pee ...but theres no excuse for just dumping full bottles of pee around the place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They are also good for putting on your socks if you cant bend ....my mum uses her for this purpose ...also you can use them for social distance purposes
Social distancing from what? This reminds me of the episode of Red Dwarf when Rimmer and Lister 'swapped' bodies ... Rimmer as Lister had to go for a wee and couldn't bear to touch the 'appendage' so used a pair of tongs! 😄

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Social distancing from what? This reminds me of the episode of Red Dwarf when Rimmer and Lister 'swapped' bodies ... Rimmer as Lister had to go for a wee and couldn't bear to touch the 'appendage' so used a pair of tongs! 😄
Och use your imagination 😁😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back