I have an Autosleeper Stanton 2014 - AGM leisure battery to Lithium (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
I recently went out to check my van only to find that the AGM leisure battery had become unstable i.e. the cells were giving off highly toxic gasses and set off the carbon monoxide alarm, I managed to disconnect the terminals and removed the battery to the tip. I decided
to replace with a Sterling Lithium battery and a Renogy B2B charger 30amp with MTTP . My question is, whilst the Solar and alternator charge is safely taken care of, what happens to the existing 240 v supply regards the lithium battery charge and internal electrics?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If you have a gel setting on the on board charger, you don’t need to do anything.

The lithium will not usually get full, but it won’t harm it at all.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Agmophobia, surely? But to get back to the question, as Googlebot says, on the gel setting the battery won't get full. But more importantly it won't overcharge. Unlike as lead-acid battery, a lithium battery doesn't degrade if left for long periods at less than full charge. No need to 'float charge', overcharging degrades them. As does over-discharging. Best to keep between 10% and 90% if you can.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Foxycow
Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
I don’t know if Autosleeper Stanton 2014would have fitted a charger with a gel setting but I’ll check tomorrow.
many thanks for the input regards
Mowall12

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
The Stanton looks like an amazing motorhome, I am jealous
download.jpeg

It has the EC500 system incorporating an intelligent three-stage battery charger / power converter.
During stage 1 the battery voltage is increased gradually while the current is limited to start the
charging process and protect the battery. At stage 2 the voltage rises to 14.4V to deliver the bulk
charge to the battery. When the battery is charged, the voltage is decreased at stage 3 to 13.6V
to deliver a float charge to maintain the battery in the fully charged state. The charger can be left
switched on continuously as required.
The battery charger / power converter also provides power to the leisure equipment when the
mains supply is connected. This module supplies DC to the leisure equipment up to a maximum
of 25 Amps (300 Watts).

recommended charging voltage for Stirling
Absortion:14.6v
Float:13.6v

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread