I have a chassion flash4 with dometic fridge not working anyone help (1 Viewer)

donna12

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
chassion flash04
hi I have a chassion fash 4 with dometic fridge that had lights on now not working anyone can help ?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I had a lot of trouble with my domestic fridge when I bought my new Delaware
domestic sent a rep to my home to look at it when the dealer could not fix it
he said it needed a new fridge ;;;
ok fine at least it gets the problem solved . should not have happened in a brand new van but that’s life :::::
but wait for it
it turns out that after waiting 4 weeks domestic don’t make that fridge any more aaaaaaa you have got to be joking says I
they did not advise me I had to find out my self though customer service
The end answer I had to accept a repair because the replacement model Was shorter and did not fit
I insisted the domestic engineer was present when the part was replaced
which happened
when I collected the van I was told that I was low on gas
which I refilled on my way home but there’s plenty of gas in the tanks
i was not told that the fridge worked on electric and battery but not gas
it was not till I left for Spain last year that I found out that the fridge did not work on gas
lucky for me when we arrived at the rally in Spain a friend could see what the problem was .
The liquid that’s in the pipes had leaked over the gas pilot which stop it working
when I returned to the UK in. a rush as we all did I spoke to the domestic rep Who apologised But
one thing he did advise was to leave the fridge on low when parked at
what he said makes sense if you think about .
our fridges at home are on all the time we dont switch them off and on
while I’ve been parked at home I’ve left it on low
but who knows
but there you go
happy days

I don’t dispute a word of what you say, but if the Dometic rep had said that to me I would have told him he was obviously talking through his ar**, never heard of such ludicrous advice to give a customer, I would be inclined to contact Dometic direct by email and ask them to confirm that outrageous bit of advice in writing.
Maybe we’ll have Fiat telling us next that we should leave the engine running permanently then we wouldn’t have any management lights coming on. Sorry I don’t mean to be fiscesous but I would ignore the Dometic reps outrageous advice completely.

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Sorry if some people don’t like my post but that’s what the representative advised
and to be honest that’s what I’ve done the fridge has been working ok since I returned from Spain in March 2020
I would only say there is liquid in the working in the fridge I expect that could congeal
I stand to be proven wrong but it works for me
I’ve meet a lot of people on my travels who have had their fridges replaced
it is unfortunate that they don’t make my model any more .
to finish I ve not notice the cost as being very high
I ask the question do you turn your fridge off when not in use
much the same design except these fridges are three power source
last point what happens when people are full timers
happy days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
The real question is would it be possible to run a fridge 24/7 or in a motor home or a caravan with out a problem

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think its your van and your money so you are entitled to do as you wish..

it is not the norm; and I would not do it.
but it is whatever you are comfortable with and your freedom to choose.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Sorry if some people don’t like my post but that’s what the representative advised
It's not that some people don't like your post as there's nothing to 'dislike' in it.
The point being made is that leaving the m/h fridge turned on permanently has never been seen as the way to avoid faults. On the contrary, fridge heater elements have a finite number of operating hours before needing to be replaced so leaving it on 24/7 will gobble up those hours sooner.

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I understand what’s being pointed out regarding 24/7 use but
it does appear that these motor home domestic fridges have a problem
from the people I’ve meet on my travels
one couple i meet on the way home from Spain so he said was on his third
replacement
I agree I have been Motor-homing for over thirty years this is the first time I’ve had a problem with a fridge
but is it not Murphy law that it breaks down when you most need it
in my case I was in Itlay with temperature in the high thirty’s when mine packed up
no cold beer ugh
happy days

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
it does appear that these motor home domestic fridges have a problem

I think you generated a bit of confusion with your several references to 'domestic' when I assume you meant 'Dometic' i.e. the make of your fridge.
one couple i meet on the way home from Spain so he said was on his third
replacement
They do deem to be more problematic and require more attention/servicing than domestic fridges at home but they are more complex, having two or three power options, plus they do have to suffer a lot of vibration.

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Sorry you are right it is Dometic my iPad does not like the word
either that or it’s my age
happy days

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
and to be honest that’s what I’ve done the fridge has been working ok since I returned from Spain in March 2020
I would only say there is liquid in the working in the fridge I expect that could congeal
happy days
happy days
Hi there Boy,
No need to apologise for your post, it’s not what you are advocating that I have a problem with, it’s the advice you’ve been given by one of the Dometic reps, as I said I just think he’s talking rubbish as I have never heard of any Motorhomer or caravans running a fridge 24/7 when they are parked up and not using it. and I will say that if you got the same type fridge as mine with separate freezer on top, I was gobsmack
-ed when I ran it on ehu on a site in Benidorm and I only used the ehu for the fridge and for 10 days it cost just over 17€euros, as for running it 24/7 indefinitely the flue would soon soot up on gas and if run constantly on electric I don’t reckon the electric element would last long. Just my take on it really.

Upvote 0

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Hi Folks,

It appears i have an issue with my fridge now. Same make... Was working fine on EHU for a week a few weeks ago but have turned on yesterday and its not cooling. I have removed the panels externally and its very warm on coil. warm air coming out the exhaust. It appeared to have half froze the freezer when i checked but since then its now gone warm inside.

No faults showing on panel just randomly stopped. Anyone have any idea? were away this weekend.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
James-Alex The fridge should have a 12v supply to its control system (as well as the other 12v supply when the engine is running) I would expect there to be a fuse for this and that would be worth checking, if it is not with the other fuses in a fuse panel it may be in the EMxx box you may have fitted.

Upvote 0

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Thanks GeoffnDee. I’ve started the van up and the light comes on when selecting battery power. Puzzled by it tbh. I’ve taken cover off from outside. The spiral tube is hot at bottom. There is a line coming off that’s noticeably cold leading into fridge but it doesn’t seem to be reaching the internal of freezer box and fridge. I’ve started van up with 12v mode on and lights up on panel as it should. No error colours. Green lights on when selecting hook up. Fires up on gas and no error. Just not chilling

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi Folks,

It appears i have an issue with my fridge now. Same make... Was working fine on EHU for a week a few weeks ago but have turned on yesterday and its not cooling. I have removed the panels externally and its very warm on coil. warm air coming out the exhaust. It appeared to have half froze the freezer when i checked but since then its now gone warm inside.

No faults showing on panel just randomly stopped. Anyone have any idea? were away this weekend.

Cheers

sadly it sounds like our terminal fridge failure some years ago, lost all refrigerant, can’t be regassed 🙁 sit down before looking at prices

hope yours isn’t this 👍

we did have an obvious ammonia smell as well though

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
sadly it sounds like our terminal fridge failure some years ago, lost all refrigerant, can’t be regassed 🙁 sit down before looking at prices

hope yours isn’t this 👍
Hoping that it will fire up overnight tonight and be lovely and cold in the morning. Hoping… will try on gas tomorrow as we’re away in it. If not the dealer can sort it out. Only bought in October last year and bought extended warranty

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back