LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Apparently Squinter-pip is the local name for Geranium robertianum, commonly known as herb-Robert, red robin, death come quickly, storksbill, fox geranium, stinking Bob, squinter-pip(Shropshire), crow's foot, or (in North America)
Roberts geranium, is a common species of cranesbill native to Europe and parts of Asia, North America, and North Africa.
rsz_20190621_123228.jpg

I found lots of it in my garden today and was intrigued by it's coriander-like smell, although 'death comes quickly' doesn't make it sound very appetising :)

And who was Stinking Bob???

Do you have any bizarrely-named wildflowers in your area?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow .. just googled it and it has an interesting history re herbalists and healers.

Also this.

Herb Robert has quite a strong distinctive smell, unpleasant to some but it acts as an insect deterrent making it a good companion plant in the garden for vegetables and flowers. Plants seem to grow well next to it. Try rubbing the fresh leaves on your skin to deter mosquitoes or put them in your pet’s bed to deter fleas. I refer to Herb Robert and Lesser Herb Robert interchangeably as they are very similar in appearance and it is very hard to tell them apart. Being so similar they have almost identical nutritional and medicinal properties.
Nutritional Qualities
  • carotenoids (which convert to Vitamin A)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow .. sorry ..I'm fascinated now. What a herb.

• Vitamins B and C
  • calcium
  • potassium
  • magnesium
  • iron
  • phosphorus
  • It is a natural source of germanium which as well as being an oxygen carrier and catalyst, also stimulates electrical impulses at a cellular level, which benefit the entire body according to Isabell Shipard a well known Australian herbalist. She further says that this humble herb has resulted in numerous amazing healings from such illnesses as cancer, colitis, chronic fatigue, cataracts, diabetes, mouth ulcers, bleeding gums and pain relief for those with rheumatism and arthritis. Even animals have been cured of cancer when fed with herb Robert in their food. Dr Otto Warburg, twice Noble Prize winner said in 1966, “The prime cause of cancer is lack of oxygenation of the cells.” He discovered that cancer cells could not exist in the presence of abundant oxygen, but only in an anaerobic state. Because oxygen plays such an important role in cell health and immune function, using Herb Robert regularly, is something very practical we can do, for our general wellbeing.
  • In addition, it is an energy giver immune builder which acts as a free radical scavenger, with antibiotic, antiviral and antioxidant properties. Consult your Doctor before using it, if you are on blood thinning medication as it may act on the viscosity of the blood.Herb Robert is easy to grow and a supremely therapeutic plant with all those health giving properties so how do we use it?
    Five or more leaves and stems in smoothies, soups, or a tea made by pouring boiling water over a teaspoon of fresh leaves or a pinch of dried leaves would be therapeutic and preventative. Sweeten with honey if you desire.
    A foot infusion is said to remove toxins, heavy metals and prevent radiation damage, so would be of benefit to those using mobile phones, computers, microwaves or having x-rays, which pretty much means all of us! To make a foot infusion put a handful of chopped herb Robert in a bowl and pour a litre of boiling water over it stirring well. Add enough cold water to make it comfortable and soak your feet for 15 blissful minutes. 
Me: the article goes on for ages with lots of other interesting information. Found the but about cancer and oxygen interesting .. wonder why cancer cures don't involve high oxygen tents?

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I doubt if most of them know, interesting subject though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back