I go full time tomorrow night! Any tips or advice? (1 Viewer)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Brilliant...well done you
I also was a gm of a big place a good while ago..
Pat yourself on the back for helping those crying kids.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Fill up with fuel!!!

Find easy going places to stop.

Get a slow cooker for winter, BBQ for summer!

Give more to the relationship than you take.

Don't forget to study!!

Cheers James

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Jack... I LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO YOUR VAN. Wow. What a cosy pad it now is.

Tidy up as you go along. Living in small space is difficult. Hug.

Thanks Joy! I have been washing up / tidying immediately otherwise the mess will stress me out in such a small space.

I was wondering about my choice of van size but I don't think I'd want to live in anything smaller now I'm all packed up and in there.

*Hugs* 🤗

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
No idea if you have parking sorted.

But a mate at Oxford uni rented a student house with about 5 bedrooms and it came with a student doing a Phd who lived in a caravan in the garden.

He chipped in with the bills and used the loo/shower which was right by the back door, but that was all they ever saw of him.

So get in with some of the students that don't live in halls, ideally those with large houses with big gardens, and you may find a permanent place to park

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
No idea if you have parking sorted.

But a mate at Oxford uni rented a student house with about 5 bedrooms and it came with a student doing a Phd who lived in a caravan in the garden.

He chipped in with the bills and used the loo/shower which was right by the back door, but that was all they ever saw of him.

So get in with some of the students that don't live in halls, ideally those with large houses with big gardens, and you may find a permanent place to park

My mate wants me to park on his drive but it's on quite a major slope. Enjoying moving around ATM, although it's early days still!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
IMG_20210929_082806.jpg

Thought I'd share some pics of last night's park up where I saw deer on my morning walk! 🦌 Twenty minutes away from the railway station I have been using. You wouldn't see that living in student accommodation!

IMG_20210929_082639.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Where is that ? I think i stayed there once on one of my trips south

I would tell you via PM but I can't find the button on my mobile. Useless cretin that I am with all things tech. If you want to know PM me (assuming you're cleverer than me). But it's fairly north in the country to begin with!

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
If anyone's interested I might keep this going - posting pics of park ups.

If you know where it is tell me by PM. Please don't post location names in the public chat.

Last night by "the cut".

IMG_20210930_181934.jpg

IMG_20210930_184509.jpg

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Some news today about my adventure. And some of you have predicted this already. But first...

Another stunning park up. The first one I have arrived at and had to get the litter picker out. Loads of cans of lager scattered about. Picked them up in no time. I never want to park up around it, because people will assume it is mine and it may give us a bad name. I was the only one there when I arrived at 8 in the evening but by 11 am the car park was getting full of weekend dog walkers. I spent quite a while chatting to a lovely lady about living in the van, who was very supportive of my new lifestyle.

1.jpg

The news....

The adventure will be coming to an end sooner than expected. My lovely girlfriend has decided to relocate up here so we can be together. So it's back to bricks and mortar! However we don't plan to move until mid - late November so I have at least another month living a lifestyle I've wanted to try for years and to explore this beautiful county. Two weeks at it now and I'm loving it!

It's far from sad though. The idea of living with her makes me very happy, so don't feel too sorry for me!

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Aww Jack. Does she not fancy sharing your lifestyle for just 12 months. You were so excited and enthusiastic about it.

Good luck sunshine whatever you do. X

CamperJack
There is still the weekend / long breaks between terms for adventures!!
Or is the new lady love not into that?
Best of look at uni !

Don't worry. I'll not be getting rid of the van. She enjoys it too, but doesn't want to live in it full time with the pooch too while we try and balance both of us working and me at uni etc.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It was a cold one today. Frost on the windscreen and icy puddles in the carpark.

I actually had company last night. Hardly ever happens in the rural spots I pick.

IMG_20211105_072138.jpg

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Are you still planning to go back to bricks and mortar??
How's Uni??
Other questions to follow dependent on answers.
Just doing the work of the NYC.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Good luck, if you had asked me I would have said buy a canal boat to live in. Sorry everybody who lives and are thinking of living in a van. Love mine, just could not live in it permanently.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Are you still planning to go back to bricks and mortar??
How's Uni??
Other questions to follow dependent on answers.
Just doing the work of the NYC.

Yes, still planning on going back to bricks and mortar. It's proving harder than expected but I paid a holding deposit on a place on Monday. The reference company the agents use called today asking if my girlfriend was going to carry on working at our old pub (85 miles away - each way) when we move. Erm... no I said. He seemed most put out, so I said she has a job lined up but we are waiting to have a place to live before firming up the job. He didn't seem happy. So I'm starting to think we are going to get turned down. Again. Seems you cannot get a job without a house or a house without a job. I even tried to solve the issue by throwing money at it - offering a landlord 6 months rent in advance. He said he couldn't take it. You call up about places advertised online and get told it's already gone or 20 people have applied and they aren't taking anymore. It's been infinitely frustrating! Going around in circles and getting nowhere! But at least she still has her place and I have my van so we aren't on the streets... :rolleyes:

Uni is good. I'm enjoying the course and reckon I've decided which areas I definitely enjoy and one that I don't.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Yes, still planning on going back to bricks and mortar. It's proving harder than expected but I paid a holding deposit on a place on Monday. The reference company the agents use called today asking if my girlfriend was going to carry on working at our old pub (85 miles away - each way) when we move. Erm... no I said. He seemed most put out, so I said she has a job lined up but we are waiting to have a place to live before firming up the job. He didn't seem happy. So I'm starting to think we are going to get turned down. Again. Seems you cannot get a job without a house or a house without a job. I even tried to solve the issue by throwing money at it - offering a landlord 6 months rent in advance. He said he couldn't take it. You call up about places advertised online and get told it's already gone or 20 people have applied and they aren't taking anymore. It's been infinitely frustrating! Going around in circles and getting nowhere! But at least she still has her place and I have my van so we aren't on the streets... :rolleyes:

Uni is good. I'm enjoying the course and reckon I've decided which areas I definitely enjoy and one that I don't.
I know how you feel, centuries ago I got a job in Tipton, we lived in Lancashire. Took the job, then tried to get a house to rent, said no cause I did not have a job before moving, tried to buy a house ( we had sold our up noryh) again wad refused a mortgage, 3ven though I had a job, told it goes on past history, so said never missed a mortgage payment and I was not working, now I working. In end told them all to sticking up there back side. Bought a boat and lived on it for 8yrs, saved up enough to then buy a house. Hate beurocacy ( how ever you spell it). I feel for you all, Trying to get on with life.
It will all work out in the end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back