Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I read on here a day or 2 a go certainly in the last week about an app that you can scan the words and it translates for you. Now I wrote this in a safe place so safe I cant find it and I have looked on here too anyone help ?
while on the Subject any other tips hints be great to overcome the language barrier time to shrug of my ignorant side ha ha as per norm many thanks for any advice Paul

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Errrrr...... Quelques leçons ? ;)(y)
First advice: Don't learn words on their own. Each word might have different meanings. Learn whole sentences. La cruche est pleine (the jug is full)
Je suis une belle cruche ; I'm pretty stupid (idiot)

Cruche d'eau: You can ask for one in a bar, but for goodness sake don't say , "Je peux avoir LA cruche? (this means "Can I have THE idiot" .... probably meaning the waiter you had some other time before . The simple fact that you use THE instead of A will change it all.!

Happy travel !

Frankie:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I read on here a day or 2 a go certainly in the last week about an app that you can scan the words and it translates for you. Now I wrote this in a safe place so safe I cant find it and I have looked on here too anyone help ?
while on the Subject any other tips hints be great to overcome the language barrier time to shrug of my ignorant side ha ha as per norm many thanks for any advice Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Beer = bierre
Pint = grand.
Thirsty = deux.

T'jobs a good 'un :)
I wonder if working out how to order a drink is the phrase most people try to learn first?

Stuff the pen of my aunt, get them in.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Beer = bierre
Pint = grand.
Thirsty = deux.

Pint = grand
Beer = bierre

Job Done........................(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Beer = bierre
Pint = grand.
Thirsty = deux.

Except that beer is feminine So it is "Deux grandes bières S'IL VOUS PLAIT !!!!!"

You can forget about the feminine but don't forget Please ..... or you might be the last client to be served and without any smile!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It's easy to order 3 beers!

Deux Bierres , et,- - - - one fer me mate!:rolleyes:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Except that beer is feminine So it is "Deux grandes bières S'IL VOUS PLAIT !!!!!"

You can forget about the feminine but don't forget Please ..... or you might be the last client to be served and without any smile!
Nah. We just shout.

Oi. Garcon. :)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Think it will be very useful when shopping. Certainly won't buy beef heart kebabs again . Only recognising the word boeuf thought they would be okay . Vile!

Monman

Free Member
Dec 14, 2012
france & wales
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 1998
Der be air,silver plate. Works every time.
Reminds me of a trip to Germany,me and a mate were sent to the chippie to get 4 portions of sausage and chips but didn't know the German for 4.We lined up and each ordered two," zwie bratwurst mit fritt bitter"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I found a great way to get French camp site owners on my side is to stop, stare at any scenery that looks remotely pretty and with suitable hand gestures say..

Ahhh.. magnifique !!!! Belle... Belle !!!

Suddenly you are their best mate who OBVIOUSLY has good taste and suddenly they will not think you an ignorant ros boeuf but a poor chap who has not yet learnt all of the beautiful language that is French

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

SWMBO and I use Fast French in a Day, available from Amazon . This is learning a bit of French for the very lazy, a cd that teaches you a few words and phrases so that you can get by. I mentioned it before (sorry) on here but as the subject of learning the lingo has come up again I thought I would give details.

Paul

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Also worth mentioning though somewhat off topic, is Fast Spanish in a day

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Be polite where ever possible thank you and pleas go's a long way in any langue I cant speak hardly any French but with a bit of body language thank you and pleas and try
to be polite and they will help you.
had some grate holidays and only ever met a few French the are ignorant enough to fully snub us
had more problems in Canada than any where Quebec French Canadians are the worst French speaking folks I have ever come across for being un helpful.
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back