I can't stand planning, is it just me i like to go with the flo? (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Wash your mouth out...

I don't tell porkies.

JJ :cool:
Obviously the site does
Screenshot_20170525-161258.png

images (5)_2.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We book the ferry out and have a rough idea of when we are coming back, head for sun and sea mostly. Divert to meet up with friends, see somewhere that looks nice and just stop. Last year had intended france spain portugal northern spain and santander. After 3 days of winter weather and rain with a week to go before the ferry we hi tailed to benicarlo, 700+Km, and some nice weather a pleasant walk into the town and some good company. One night stop off in Haro before catching the ferry.
Why do you feel like you have never been away within hours of reaching home?
Perhaps we should plan more, thn van would be used a bit more in the UK.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We have a start date, a finish date and a general area that we would like to go to.
That's it.

That's us as well, left Feb, came back last week, only planning was a general direction to where we were going to sleep each night.

Always set a destination before we leave, very rarely make it there, the only one we ever stuck to was Bad Nauheim, for the Boss's Elvis fetish.

All part of the fun.

Hymie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I thought I was someone who like to wander and see where the road took me...
...but actually it seems I am a planner :(.
I've discovered last year that I do like to know where I'm going to stop the night & what I might see and do o_O.
I hate to think I might miss something - "oh you've been to xyz, did you see abc?" No because I never knew it existed.

And so I plan, a bit, sort of :whistle:.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We are off to France in two weeks, two sites booked in the UK on the way to the tunnel. That's all the planning we've done, from Calais we'll go south'ish, maybe, depending on the weather.

Skeggy

Free Member
Dec 12, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've already planned my next winter. I'll get off the ferry at Bilbao, turn right and follow the coast to La Manga. I'll stay there for Christmas etc. Then continuing following the coast for a while. Back in the UK for Easter. My mornings normally starts with a bit of The Clash, shall I stay or shall I go :pop:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've already planned my next winter. I'll get off the ferry at Bilbao, turn right and follow the coast to La Manga. I'll stay there for Christmas etc. Then continuing following the coast for a while. Back in the UK for Easter. My mornings normally starts with a bit of The Clash, shall I stay or shall I go :pop:

Part of the reason I like to plan is to avoid that very dilemma, because if you stay there will be trouble and if you go, there will be double :LOL:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For Europe we just book the ferry there and back, plus any entry tickets for places that need advance booking (not many). We don't book campsites.

I go on the CCI website to see which aires look best along the way, and usually have a Plan B aire in case of a problem. What varies for us is the number of days we stop anywhere, and we'll let the weather decide whether we stay or move on. We've been on so many aires round France now we could probably just go without a plan, but we like to combine new places with the tried and tested. New places need a bit of advance research - I don't like wasting time bimbling around looking for somewhere to park.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Its good to see what other people do!
I have looked at the New Forest sites and decided to visit 3 this week coming but nothing booked. We think a Brit stop or 2 on the way from Cornwall.
So here the thing about planning, shmbo said its going to rain tomorrow so' lets just sort out the house and make it nice for when we get back'. So Saturday now is out of the window! That means may be going somewhere on Sunday?? (I thinks)! Unless it rains on Sunday!

Now the only plan I have is to take the coastal road through Dorset and may be stop off somewhere that looks nice! I have Britstops and maybe phone a couple hours before arriving.
Its all an adventure, but I like the fact we don't have a commitment to get somewhere.

I would book the chunnel though, and aim to be on time but that's about my limit!

xx

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I used to be a cool dude, "go with the flow man, who needs plans" etc.. On my motorbike around France and Spain solo..

Until I got home and traced my route(s) to see/show where I'd been, and realised I'd ridden within spitting distance of some interesting places, Orador-sur-Glane being just one.

Now I always see what's worth seeing, just in case.

Remember, plans can always be changed.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We're fairly new to all this but will be heading through the tunnel about mid October hopefully heading for Luxembourg Belgium Switzerland but the only plan is to end up at Cadiz for a ferry to Lanzerote.

No forward planning just go with the flow probably not for everyone but it suits us had a brilliant trip last time so why not(y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Book tunnel out and back, sometimes we get the train we are booked on :rolleyes:
Have an idea of the country we are heading for. :)
That's it! (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Book tunnel out and back, sometimes we get the train we are booked on :rolleyes:
Have an idea of the country we are heading for. :)
That's it! (y)
Yes, other than getting to the correct departure point (usually hours early) to cross, then don't think we've ever caught our scheduled train in either direction. We had vague plans but they disappeared after a few days. Decision to turn left or right when disembarking is done on the spot.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I prefer going with the flow although I do like a general idea of where we are going i.e. do we head south, north or east (we are already in the west so can't go far that way).

My wife however likes to know what time (within a minute or two) will we be taking the left turn after the 53rd set of traffic lights after we have left the tunnel.

Guess what that means!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The one I bought is a Silva 58, much more expensive than I planned, but I chose it after reading the reviews of the cheap ones. :) It has adjusting screws to compensate for things like the engine and the instructions describe the process of calibrating it. The accuracy now is to within 10° in all directions and could probably be made better but the adjustment is very sensitive so I've just left it and it's more than good enough for what I need. It is designed for boats and can be lit at night but I haven't connected it as I avoid driving at night in the van. :)

Oh it will be such a center piece when lit, we like a the original OP are sailors and there is something quite romantic, special about sailing at night to a compass heading.
Not really the same in a motorhome as whilst on a heading buildings and lack of roads will distrupt your current heading but a center piece nonetheless.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh no he isn't...

Portugal is always the same time as Blighty.

I didn't know that. I learn new stuff every day.

And then promptly forget it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I didn't know that. I learn new stuff every day.

And then promptly forget it.

I didn't know that either... for the first month working here in Portugal, everybody was always almost exactly one hour late!

Now, I am trying to work out how a post I made at 10.51 got put up by Fun at 10.47!

I have been accused of fibbing!

Do I need a lawyer?

I hope this doesn't spoil my plans...

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have been to Portugal loads of times so I must have known.

Either that or I was always an hour early for everything

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I thought I was someone who like to wander and see where the road took me...
...but actually it seems I am a planner :(.
I've discovered last year that I do like to know where I'm going to stop the night & what I might see and do o_O.
I hate to think I might miss something - "oh you've been to xyz, did you see abc?" No because I never knew it existed.

And so I plan, a bit, sort of :whistle:.
'I hate to think I might miss something'....................sounds like my missus. :LOL:

Craig

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Totally agree with NO planning. We gave up UK touring as the advance booking required was becoming ridiculous. Who knows what's going to happen in 6 months time. Many years ago all our travel was switched to Europe. Touring is possible there without rip off campsite fees and jobs worth military wardens.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
STOP PRESS!!

I have planned!

Going to Ashurst new forest in a couple of days!! Site booked!
But we are stopping over somewhere on the way:D No idea where.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back