I can't stand planning, is it just me i like to go with the flo? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Firstly, if you have not read my threads before, I am very new to this!
I don't like planning where to stay next!

I just want to plod along and see where to end up. Seems like you have some fantastic tours but are they pre planned?

We had a boat before mh'ing and if the wind blew west, we went west!

I sort of know we want to go to the new forest but there must be so many lovely stop offs en route. I'm just wondering do you pre plan stops or like me, go where you find?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I like to think about and at least mark on map first night especially if arriving late in day. I also like to have a reason for the trip, for example classic Le Mans, classic Monza or last year, Kiel festival. This gives me somewhere to aim at. However stops on way and way back are not planned and we stop or move depending on how we feel.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I just need a general heading and an idea of where we might stop i.e. pub or wild camp area.

Thats enough planing for me to be honest, I'm not keen on big sites especially if its full of kids :D young ones that is :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I like to think about and at least mark on map first night especially if arriving late in day. I also like to have a reason for the trip, for example classic Le Mans, classic Monza or last year, Kiel festival. This gives me somewhere to aim at. However stops on way and way back are not planned and we stop or move depending on how we feel.

I know I want to get to the new forest, but what happens between, im not sure?

But I don't want to spoil the tour, being stuck in some A road layby

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I don't plan. That's Ralph's pleasure.
He sits at his laptop and researchers what's in the areas en route. He enjoys doing it. Then either google maps a good wilding spot , or finds a cl or campsite in that area . We've found this way we don't miss out on our journey to the destination. I know some just drive ( for hours ) to get to where ever, but we like to include the journey as part of the trip. Visiting points of interest in the area.
Saying that , that's probably why we still fly abroad.:D
As yet we've only had 3 weeks longest for a trip in a motorway me. Weve gone as far North as the Outer Hebrides and South as the IOW and lots in between! It's handy us long smack bang in the he centre of Britain.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I rather enjoy the planning and finding odd and unusual things to see and do but we do tend to deviate for the plan when we see something that catches our eye along the way.

If you like classic Le Mans and classic Monza you might well like the Circuit des Remparts Angouleme where they close some of the narrow streets in the old part of the town to race.
We are going down again this year with friends who are racing and you can park the motorhome for free in a carpark in the old town just a few minutes walk from the circuit and more importantly the restaurants and bars.

Link Removed

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Steve loves to plan. He scours the Internet using google maps and walking down roads with little Google man. It keeps him happy. It keeps me happy letting him do it. I just like to go. I do say, well we need to spend at least 2 weeks with our son and family. That's it. He plans. I let him! Win, win! (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As the veterans of the Funsters Morocco 2013 tour say...

"The plan can always change".. !!!!!

On the eve of departing Spain, 17 funsters vans met ready to travel to Morocco. Nearly 2 hours was spent that evening by some, in the McDonalds as they planned "go here" - " 2 days there".
First day of arrival and the plan was threw out the window.. :)
Happy memories...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I rather enjoy the planning and finding odd and unusual things to see and do but we do tend to deviate for the plan when we see something that catches our eye along the way.

If you like classic Le Mans and classic Monza you might well like the Circuit des Remparts Angouleme where they close some of the narrow streets in the old part of the town to race.
We are going down again this year with friends who are racing and you can park the motorhome for free in a carpark in the old town just a few minutes walk from the circuit and more importantly the restaurants and bars.

Link Removed
Sounds a bit like Pau which we enjoyed. We went last year to Le Puy de Notre Dame for the retro "demonstrations". Good fun but when we put on events here, we prefer to abide by the MSA rules!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
We had a boat before mh'ing and if the wind blew west, we went west!
Someone should come up with an idea to help with that and perhaps call it 'tacking' or something :rofl:

....and on a serious note, I like to plan ahead a little. Not always the number of nights that I'm going to stay, but certainly the sites that I'm aiming for.

My last trip was planned well in advance, but most sites were visited for a specific reason ie. Berwick to spend a few days with my parents, who were there with their caravan, Crystal Palace to visit my eldest son, who lives virtually opposite the site entrance and Cornish Farm, Taunton to get my security sorted by Vanbitz.

I had a vague idea that I might drop down to Cornwall after that and only made the final decision to head to Trevedra Farm the day before I left, but I still rang ahead and booked.

Now that I'm travelling solo, I really should try to get out of the habit of pre booking, which I think is a throwback to catering for the family.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
On our over, we did have a specific destination when we went to Maastricht but other than that, we get to Kent in time to have some hours looking around one of the towns. We like Herne Bay but this year decided on Canterbury. We were booked on a late train to Calais, then Cite Europe then well, which way? Decided at that moment to go East ish and just bumbled down. Knew a couple of Aires and found some nice ones. Whilst at Montreux Chateau thought about a good hop to Geneva (ish) by looking in the ACSI book. It just appealed, so set Co ordinates and off we went. Didn't look map per se but glanced may be more accurate. Oh, ok, Switzerland is ahead. Stop sigh and go and enquire. 40 CHF. She couldn't speak English and I don't speak French/German /Italian so a little bit of shoulder shrugging may help with her French or Italian language. She gave me the sticker (ok, vignette) and I placed it in one of the several places suggested (on the vignette not by border control) and off we pop.
Tunnels galore but emerging from each one, another glorious scene. Some are absolutely breathtaking. We travelled on to the Swizz/French border (now coming out) and towards Geneva. Picked up supplies at supermarket and got to Thanon les Baines. This is our 3rd night so going to move on. Haven't decided yet but Annecy looks favourite.
Other than getting the train back next month and going to a vet for Pepper, then no plans till say, the exit gate.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just fitted one of these:

OI000049~3.jpg

And we have literally been following a compass bearing a few times on the current trip. :)
I turn on the satnav but don't enter a destination, just have it on "view map" and that and the compass have allowed us to follow the Loire, which is what we are doing at the moment. It comes in handy particularly in towns and cities when conventional map reading can be challenging.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've already planned my next winter. I'll get off the ferry at Bilbao, turn right and follow the coast to La Manga. I'll stay there for Christmas etc. Then continuing following the coast for a while. Back in the UK for Easter. My mornings normally starts with a bit of The Clash, shall I stay or shall I go :pop:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I like to plan and generally research places, it increases my knowledge and gives me something to do on the dark winter evenings.
Wandering is good but occasionally we end up having 'wasted' days and I hate that.
With limited holidays (I'm more fortunate that most), need to make the most of every opportunity, planning certainly helps :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Link Removed
Have a great time.
Just found the dates and it is around the same time as we help organise Wiscombe Hill Climb, although this year we are taking a break and going to Goodwood Revival.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I haven't even planned what time to get out of bed today yet...

JJ :cool:

Post Update.

Have got out of bed (10.51) and had a gentle, sun drenched stroll around part of my estate.

Now have to plan what to do next...

Maybe croissants and coffee.

JJ :cool:

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I love planning - it helps the months go by whilst we wait for the holidays to come around (y)

We tend to decide on an area or specific places we want to visit, then I'll spend hours checking out where to stay, things to see, driving times etc. and marking them on a map and building a plan. The plan of course will change many many times before holiday time finally arrives, but when we set off we definitely have a plan.

Whether we stick to it is a totally different question :LOL: Our most recent trip we followed the plan for the first week, then due to the weather it was thrown out the window and for the second two weeks we only planned 2 or 3 days at a time.

Hubby likes to know where he's heading for when he sets out so I doubt we'll ever just meander without a destination - plus when you've got limited time you need to make the most of it!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've just fitted one of these:

View attachment 164779

And we have literally been following a compass bearing a few times on the current trip. :)
I turn on the satnav but don't enter a destination, just have it on "view map" and that and the compass have allowed us to follow the Loire, which is what we are doing at the moment. It comes in handy particularly in towns and cities when conventional map reading can be challenging.

Bought a magnetic compass but with all the magnetic stuff in the cab, Remis blinds etc, it was totally unreliable.

The only way I can see to overcome this is to have a GPS enabled device. We now leave the satnav screen on non-rotate so the top of the screen is always north - helps a bit. But would still prefer a reliable compass.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bought a magnetic compass but with all the magnetic stuff in the cab, Remis blinds etc, it was totally unreliable.

The only way I can see to overcome this is to have a GPS enabled device. We now leave the satnav screen on non-rotate so the top of the screen is always north - helps a bit. But would still prefer a reliable compass.
The one I bought is a Silva 58, much more expensive than I planned, but I chose it after reading the reviews of the cheap ones. :) It has adjusting screws to compensate for things like the engine and the instructions describe the process of calibrating it. The accuracy now is to within 10° in all directions and could probably be made better but the adjustment is very sensitive so I've just left it and it's more than good enough for what I need. It is designed for boats and can be lit at night but I haven't connected it as I avoid driving at night in the van. :)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I just go and see what happens, that way plans can't go wrong, and I am not trying to keep to a deadline.

We spent 18 weeks in PT and ES over winter and just rolled along. Nowhere to get to by a certain time, nowhere to be upset by the state of a campsite, no rushing, and no speeding for fear of being late.

We stayed in a 'lay by' in PT over looking a baragem, eucalyptus trees wafting in the breeze, little or no traffic, very warm and peaceful, heaven. Our overnight stop turned into 4 nights.

The only thing we book is the ferries.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Research is invaluable, something to do on winter nights.. you can learn a lot about a place or area without actually planning anything. You may not even plan to go to that area..

For example , heading for Brittany this year, not our first visit, and we won't 'plan' a route or even where we will go, but have done plenty of research, particularly which aires look suitable, make notes and mark them as favourites on Campercontact.. then on the road there is less searching, so less stress and more time to enjoy just being there without continually looking at books and or maps.

Jan researches visitor attractions and places that may be worth visiting .. then ties them into suitable aires.

In the past we have wandered aimlessly and while it was fun, we inadvertently drove past places that would have been interesting to visit, missed opportunities..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What's with this planning lark, Motorhomes & planing don't go together.
Started this trip over two weeks ago with the rough idea of going to the Canal due Midi then on to northern Spain.
Not got anywhere near either, currently basking 31 deg of wall to wall sunshine in the Dordogne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back