I can't believe people fall for this. But apparently they do. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So I am posting this as a warning..

The rules on password security are extremely simple.
1) If someone asks you for your password in full either verbally, phone, text, email or any other way then refuse. Do not capitulate no matter how nice, convincing or authoritative they are.
2) If you are asked to enter a password on a website ensure that there is a green padlock in the URL/address bar.
3) Never click on a link to a page that requires a password (from email for example). ALWAYS use a bookmark.

Ask me about rule 3 if you don't understand what I mean.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Many years ago, if you forgot your password you had to fill in a form, hand it to IT and they would reset it, trear off the bottom part of the form and add a new temp password, left in a box for you to pick up... ALL IN THE OPEN, no envelope...

I turned up, most unhappy, ANYONE could take the bit of paper...

So, I complaned, NO they were not going to change the system.... They should have known better...

Next day, I turned up, took a reset password form, used it, processed a loan application for £10k in the name of the Head of IT for that department, revoked the password, sat back and waited..

Two days later the Head of IT stormed into my office, his wife had opened the letter offering him £10k for a holiday, he denied everthing, he claimed that I had done the deed... My reply was simple enough "You know that, I know that, prove it"

He tried his hardest, he failed, I had even used his own terminal to process the application...

Next day the whole password reset system was changed...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Working at a large institution, mtboss wanted my password to access systems that he didn't have access to.
I refused nicely, but he was really miffed about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb people can be with passwords and looking after them

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Many years ago, if you forgot your password you had to fill in a form, hand it to IT and they would reset it, trear off the bottom part of the form and add a new temp password, left in a box for you to pick up... ALL IN THE OPEN, no envelope...

I turned up, most unhappy, ANYONE could take the bit of paper...

So, I complaned, NO they were not going to change the system.... They should have known better...

Next day, I turned up, took a reset password form, used it, processed a loan application for £10k in the name of the Head of IT for that department, revoked the password, sat back and waited..

Two days later the Head of IT stormed into my office, his wife had opened the letter offering him £10k for a holiday, he denied everthing, he claimed that I had done the deed... My reply was simple enough "You know that, I know that, prove it"

He tried his hardest, he failed, I had even used his own terminal to process the application...

Next day the whole password reset system was changed...

Nice One. Sometime those that know how to do stuff have to teach those who manage those who know how to do stuff how it actually works :D

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Working at a large institution, mtboss wanted my password to access systems that he didn't have access to.
I refused nicely, but he was really miffed about it.
Tough sh&t and well done Sue..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Nice One. Sometime those that know how to do stuff have to teach those who manage those who know how to do stuff how it actually works :D
I was walking down the office and I saw two IT techies and the Manager standing around a PC, they looked confused, I asked them what was the problem, they replied that the PC was not connecting to the server. Hmmmm, I suggested that the solution may well be simpler than they thought!
They looked at me as if to say "You're Fraud, we are IT, so FO"
That soon changed when I pointed out that the ethernet cable RJ45 wasnt plugged in...
They were not impressed..

Shifty Wins Again...:whistle: (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
2) If you are asked to enter a password on a website ensure that there is a green padlock in the URL/address bar.

AHA!! caught you out!! how come this forum only has a BLACK padlock? :gum:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Cos your screen is monochrome. :whistle:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ah you are correct. In Chrome the padlock is indeed black these days. I was in firefox when I wrote the above.

I think therefore you should just look for a padlock irrespective of colour. This is what a secure page looks like in firefox and chrome.
Firefox.
firefox-secure.png

Chrome.
chrome-secure.png

However, on insecure pages it will look like this.
Firefox.
firefox-not-secure.png

Chrome
chrome-not-secure.png

So basically in firefox look for green padlock and you are good.
In Chrome you are good unless you see "Not secure".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back